Digital Art Zone

6 of 19
3D World Says DAZ Plans for Generation 6 in 2013 [UPDATE] Well, now it’s here!
Posted: 14 June 2013 05:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2010-11-30

We have Carrara 8.5 getting released end of the summer. 

Another build of Studio is in the works from what I can gather from a support request I put in.

I don’t expect a major figure release to occur during the PA sales.

V5 got released end of October - early November.  PC members had access to her first.

If I had to guess we’ll get a release some time before the PA sale or right after the PC celebration this year.  I’m more inclined to think it is going to be during the PC celebration given the Carrara release and the PA sales are not that far away.  (I do hope something I got told about 8.5 at Comic Con about it which I can’t repeat, is still correct.)

Posted: 14 June 2013 05:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4815
Joined  2011-10-04

Interesting! I hope the new system supports the old morphs etc, but if not, I got room for both in my runtime…

But here’s a screencap of Candace.

Image Attachments
FWCandace.png
 Signature 

Remembering Jaderail. Rest, my friend.
My DeviantArt page.
My DAZ Studio 4 freebies.
My ramblings/blog

Posted: 14 June 2013 06:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1809
Joined  2012-04-14

I don’t see the logic in releasing products that don’t work on the existing Genesis if launch isn’t right around the corner - as in within the next couple of weeks. Unless this is another mistake.

Posted: 14 June 2013 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  184
Joined  2012-01-01
Skiriki - 14 June 2013 05:58 AM

Interesting! I hope the new system supports the old morphs etc, but if not, I got room for both in my runtime…

Looks like it’s gone now.

Posted: 14 June 2013 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  496
Joined  2007-07-15
kurisu2112 - 14 June 2013 06:43 AM

I wonder how many they sold…

Now, its a Collector’s item!

EDIT: it’s still in the Documentation Center:
http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/16480/start

Signature 

Cayman’s ROOFTOP (DAZ Gallery)      ***      Cayman Studios (Store)

Posted: 14 June 2013 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  184
Joined  2012-01-01
Cayman - 14 June 2013 06:50 AM

At least 1

If you use the product link it comes up 404 Not Found

Posted: 14 June 2013 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  842
Joined  2005-12-12

Well, there is almost a dozen characters for V5, it’s clearly high time we move the the next figure.

Why in the name of whoever would DAZ move to a new figure instead of building and improving and expanding their existing one? That’s only very slowly starting to get any acceptance outside the DAZ shop itself. You’d think someone looked at it and realized Genesis is a dead end, either technologically or economically, so they decided to kill it.

Truth to be told, I always wondered who well Genesis could possibly be doing, if it’s barely even recognized outside DAZ itself. So my first thought when I saw Candace in the shop was: “Well, they probably have to make a new figure with full Poser compatibility because Genesis is falling flat on it’s face.” But if it’s true that it will still need that silly exporter - well then it just looks like what a crazy person might do.

Unless Genesis 2 turns out to be just an update to Genesis - I find this quite unsettling. Of course, maybe I’m just wrong about everything and DAZ really just thinks that the life cycle of a figure should be this short. Either way, I don’t see me switching to yet another figure anytime soon. Unless, of course, it turns out to be the greatest thing ever.

Posted: 14 June 2013 08:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6592
Joined  2006-02-20

Victoria timeline - she always lasted between 2 and 3 years:
http://3dartdirect.com/the-digital-artists-complete-history-of-daz-3ds-victoria-5-the-most-popular-model-figure-ever/

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?
Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki: https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org

Posted: 14 June 2013 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  391
Joined  2004-03-03

Yeah, I’m not happy about a new DAZ figure to replace Genesis at this point. Way. way too soon.

But it’s interesting looking at that Candace product page in the document centre and the file list:

The morph data files go in \data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Female\Morphs\ and the user facing files go in \People\Genesis 2 Female\Characters\.

In current Genesis there’s no ‘female’ like that in the paths for character data and user files. It rather suggests there’s going to be separate Genesis 2 Male and Genesis 2 Female base figures in place of the current single Genesis base figure. Hmm. The only real reason I can think of for them doing that is to have the gens included in the base mesh.

The other thing, I suppose, is that DS now has several different types of Subd available, including the Pixar one now available in Poser 2014, but that type of SubD isn’t the DS original subd that Genesis was made for. Genesis’s mesh was specifically made to work with the original (now ‘legacy’) DS SubD, and isn’t perhaps optimal for the Pixar SubD method. So with both Poser 2014 and DS now able to use the Pixar SubD, perhaps Genesis 2 might basically be just an optimisation of the mesh for the Pixar rather than the legacy SubD method. But hat’s just a guess.

Posted: 14 June 2013 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1391
Joined  2004-06-13

If DAZ is going to relaunch Genesis with Genesis 2 I wish they would drop the whole Vx, Mx figure naming scheme.  I would much prefer they switch to an expansion pack scheme, Vx and Mx would become the Realistic Human pack.  Then instead of a Sx and Dx it would the Proportions pack.  Toons and monstrous freaky shape would be handled the same.  This way we get the female and male shapes at the same time and as a unified style so we don’t have another Hitomi, Hiro, Aiko situation.

Signature 

Push buttons, see what happens!

Posted: 14 June 2013 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  819
Joined  2012-09-24
Cayman - 14 June 2013 06:50 AM

According to the Documentation Center page, Candace will be installed in “People:Genesis 2 Female:Characters:FWArt:Candace”

There is a separate directory for the Genesis 2 Female.  Will Genesis 2 have different base figures for male and female characters?

Signature 

DAZ Gallery

Renderosity Gallery

Deviant Art Gallery

My Art Studio Thread

Posted: 14 June 2013 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1090
Joined  2007-11-28
Skiriki - 14 June 2013 05:58 AM

It was in the ad slideshow on the FastGrab page earlier this morning, but is now gone from there too…

Signature 

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-
\Who gives a Rat’s Keister how many posts I had at the old Forum? LOL

Posted: 14 June 2013 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  229
Joined  2008-12-31

Well…i would hate it if i go excited and then be disappointed again…so i’ll just keep a small basket this time…

But seriously…i would like to know about poser compatibility…

smile

Signature 

ISIKOL AT DEVIANTART

Posted: 14 June 2013 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  819
Joined  2012-09-24
Isikol - 14 June 2013 09:02 AM

Well…i would hate it if i go excited and then be disappointed again…so i’ll just keep a small basket this time…

But seriously…i would like to know about poser compatibility…

smile

The vanished product page listed “DSON importer for Poser, DAZ Studio 4.6” as compatible 3d software. That would imply that Genesis 2 will work in Poser the same way Genesis does now.

Also seems to imply Genesis 2 will only work in DAZ Studio 4.6, not in earlier versions.

Signature 

DAZ Gallery

Renderosity Gallery

Deviant Art Gallery

My Art Studio Thread

Posted: 14 June 2013 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4730
Joined  2004-08-11
Vaskania - 13 June 2013 02:26 AM
barbult - 13 June 2013 02:17 AM

The new Gwen hair product says it supports
Genesis 2:
  Victoria 6

o_O

If this one isn’t FULLY backwards compatible, I just might have to slap somebody…

in the face…

with a chair.

I officially adore you!  lmao!

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

DAZ Studio 4 Frequently Asked Questions

6 of 19