2 of 2
How Long Is A Piece Of Art?
Posted: 18 December 2012 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1009
Joined  2007-04-08
kiwi_gg - 17 December 2012 05:36 PM

I’ve been working on a piece since about april 2008 and it won’t be finished for at least another year or when I finally get a computer that can handle what i need it to. Otherwise anything from 40 hours and upwards.

Cheers
GG

Wow, that’s a LONG time!  Me, I have been working on a piece for about three months, but I’m not even sure I’ll ever finish it.

Signature 

You’re never too old for metaballs!  ~Michael Frank

Posted: 18 December 2012 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  164
Joined  2004-06-24

@Blum, sure is, but it does involve some serious Bryce modelling.

Cheers
GG

Signature 

WHO said Kiwis can’t fly ?????

Posted: 19 December 2012 12:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  603
Joined  2012-02-06

This took a month to set up.  The figures were posed relatively easy enough.  What I spent a lot of time on was finding the right kind of lighting and “film stock” (I render in Reality/LuxRender) and once that was sorted out I needed to find a background/set that worked raspberry

Signature 

LuxCompagno at deviantart

Posted: 19 December 2012 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
banditcameraman - 19 December 2012 12:18 AM

This took a month to set up.  The figures were posed relatively easy enough.  What I spent a lot of time on was finding the right kind of lighting and “film stock” (I render in Reality/LuxRender) and once that was sorted out I needed to find a background/set that worked raspberry

Very nice render.

My current one has taken about two hours so far and it’s nowhere near done.  I’ve just basically selected the character settings for Genesis and put some clothes on her because she was feeling a bit cold!  Took me ages to find clothes that were suitable for what I wanted.

Signature 

Posted: 19 December 2012 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2302
Joined  2010-12-18

When was in college I had a professor show us a piece of art that took him 6 years. Intricate piece, nicely done but no one really understood why dedicate so long to it. To most it wasn’t really worth looking at for more than a minute. At that point I realized I wanted to be careful with how much time I invest in pieces.

Getting something printed, yeah makes sense to spend extra time on it for that peace of mind knowing your best is out there.

BlumBlumShub - 19 December 2012 06:30 AM

My current one has taken about two hours so far and it’s nowhere near done.  I’ve just basically selected the character settings for Genesis and put some clothes on her because she was feeling a bit cold!  Took me ages to find clothes that were suitable for what I wanted.

This is why I am slowly getting back into modelling. I find I spend more time shopping, installing,  fixing, hacking and mashing purchased content together than it would take to make it. ( if I got back to speed in creating things.) Will be a few months if not several before I will be of any use, but I hate it when the time it takes to get the pieces sorted adds a substantial amount of time to a project.

Signature 

My deviantArt Pinup Gallery

Posted: 19 December 2012 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
larsmidnatt - 19 December 2012 09:58 AM

When was in college I had a professor show us a piece of art that took him 6 years. Intricate piece, nicely done but no one really understood why dedicate so long to it. To most it wasn’t really worth looking at for more than a minute. At that point I realized I wanted to be careful with how much time I invest in pieces.

Getting something printed, yeah makes sense to spend extra time on it for that peace of mind knowing your best is out there.

BlumBlumShub - 19 December 2012 06:30 AM

This is why I am slowly getting back into modelling. I find I spend more time shopping, installing,  fixing, hacking and mashing purchased content together than it would take to make it. ( if I got back to speed in creating things.) Will be a few months if not several before I will be of any use, but I hate it when the time it takes to get the pieces sorted adds a substantial amount of time to a project.

My modelling skills a bit like Naomi Campbell.  Very thin and not very skillful.

Signature 

2 of 2