Digital Art Zone

Break apart object
Posted: 17 December 2012 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-05-04

I’ve imported a free 3d model I’ve found, a tractor.  However it is all one object.  I thought I could group the various points/faces and assign names to them (ie tire, seat, steering wheel) but I can’t seem to do that?

The other alternative is to break the one object into several, but that also does not seem possible?  Or is it?

What I would really like to do is group each of the ‘parts’ of the model and export them individually so I can cut them out on a 3d router.

Can I do this in hexagon?

Thanks,
Martan

Posted: 17 December 2012 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  2005-08-15

Yes, easily.  Select the polys that you want to extract from the main model, then go to Vertex Modelling > Extract.  That will create a new object for you, and remove it from the original.

You could also just paste the selection as a new object without removing it from the main model.

Posted: 18 December 2012 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1295
Joined  2008-01-01

Just to add to JimmyC - you can name the new separate meshes in the properties panel.  If you need to export each one as a separate .obj, hide the rest.

If you are going to use it in a render engine such as Carrara which recognizes groups, you have no need to export each part as a separate .obj.