Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
DAZ 4.5 keeps crashing…help!
Posted: 18 December 2012 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

Yes, Intel HD is STILL problematic…it’s more to do with their lousy OpenGL implementation than any flaw in the hardware.

Driver roullette or replace with a discrete card.

You may have better luck with grabbing the drivers from Intel.  But try the last couple of versions, up to and including the latest…if none show an improvement, then even a cheap Nvidia card should get you up and running (AMD cards can work, too but tend to have some bumps along the way…much less frequently/severe than Intel…).

Hardware acceleration IS the video card (in this case the onboard)...turning off ‘Hardware Acceleration’ disables OpenGL and forces a translation for all OpenGL calls to their DirectX (or whatever MS is calling it these days) equivalents.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 18 December 2012 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7973
Joined  2009-05-14

thanks mjc. My wife’s laptop has Intel Grahpics onboard and I can’t run Daz Studio on it. Shame 64 bit 4 gb (upgradeable to 8) Win 7 17” Laptop and I am stuck with this piece….. LOL

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 18 December 2012 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2009-03-27

Thanks guys for the help.  Not gonna try updating drivers. I’m going to get me an Nvidia card! I love this program. Feeling much better just knowing what’s causing it.
DAZ should have a note at the downloasd site to let people know about this particular problem. This is a very big deal.
Thanks again. Going shopping.

Posted: 18 December 2012 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13

The problem isn’t really a DS problem…because ‘on paper’ the Intel graphics ‘supports’ OpenGL.  The problem is in practice the Intel drivers just suck…

It affects a wide range of things…sometimes even programs that one wouldn’t think require much in the way of graphics. 

I’ve seen many apps (especially games), though, warn that there may be problems with Intel graphics and the general advice with such is to keep the drivers up to date. 

And I’ve also seen better luck using Intel graphics in Linux than in Windows.  In Linux, it’s a lot easier to replace the Intel OpenGL with something a little more ‘robust’...namely the MESA package.  Then using WINE with the MESA driver allows things that choke on the Windows drivers to actually run (several games spring to mind).  There is a MESA version for Windows, but it is not easy to implement/replace the Intel drivers with (especially in anything higher than XP…I’m not even sure if there is a package for more recent Windows versions).

One of the tricks, if you are forced to stick to the Intel drivers, try several different versions of it, until you find one that works, then don’t change it (disable auto-updates, etc) unless you have to.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 18 December 2012 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2009-03-27

STILL CRASHING!!!
I can’t believe it. Installed my old Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT with the latest drivers. Says it handles 3.+ open GL. Used this fine with DAZ in my old computer. Looks like the same error messages. Was on it for 60 seconds…crash!

Got to send another ‘ticket’ to DAZ….JUST CAN’T BELIEVE THIS! Driving me nuts.

Posted: 22 December 2012 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2003-10-09

Just upgraded from DS 4.0 to DS 4.5.1.6 64-bit.  DS 4.0 was stable.  DS 4.5 crashes every time I use a Genesis figure.  The crashes happen anywhere from 1 to 10 minutes after starting DS.  I can initiate an immediate crash by attempting change any parameter from the shaping edit window.  I have a Nvidia GTX 470 video card OpenGL 4.2 with the latest 310.70 drivers.  I have a Windows 7 64-bit OS on a Core i7 with 24 GB ram.

The crashes only occur when I load a Genesis figure, any Genesis figure. In the Smart Content > People window the Genesis icon is boardered with an oranges dotted line and a ! in a triangle warning symbol in the lower right corner.  Does this mean that there is a problem when DS attempts to load Genesis when DS startsup?  Any ideas on what is wrong and how to fix it? —Thanks

Posted: 22 December 2012 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13
bob303 - 22 December 2012 06:31 PM

Just upgraded from DS 4.0 to DS 4.5.1.6 64-bit.  DS 4.0 was stable.  DS 4.5 crashes every time I use a Genesis figure.  The crashes happen anywhere from 1 to 10 minutes after starting DS.  I can initiate an immediate crash by attempting change any parameter from the shaping edit window.  I have a Nvidia GTX 470 video card OpenGL 4.2 with the latest 310.70 drivers.  I have a Windows 7 64-bit OS on a Core i7 with 24 GB ram.

The crashes only occur when I load a Genesis figure, any Genesis figure. In the Smart Content > People window the Genesis icon is boardered with an oranges dotted line and a ! in a triangle warning symbol in the lower right corner.  Does this mean that there is a problem when DS attempts to load Genesis when DS startsup?  Any ideas on what is wrong and how to fix it? —Thanks

Did you update the Genesis Starter Essentials, too?

Generally that’s what needs to occur when you have the warning icon showing.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 22 December 2012 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2003-10-09

Yes.  I installed the Genesis starter essentials for DS 4.5.and then when I discovered this problem, I downloaded and re-installed the essentials—but this did not fix the problem.

Posted: 22 December 2012 09:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13

What version…the version for 4.5.1.6 should have 1.6 in the filename, too.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 22 December 2012 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2003-10-09

DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro - Genesis Starter Essentials 1.6 - exe - pc

Here’s the sequence of my upgrade installation and problem discovery:
1.  Installed DS 4.5.1.6
2,  Ran DS 4.5.1.6 and noticed that no default Genesis figure was loaded.  Loading Victoria 5 Genesis figure resulted in a weird “block” man.
3.  Installed DS 4.5 Genesis Starter Essentials 1.6
4.  Ran DS 4.5.1.6.  Loaded Victoria 5 Genesis figure.  Figure loaded normally. Added hair and wardrobe.  Went to the Shaping Edit window and tried to change the “Brow Down” parameter.  DS crashed immediately.
5.  Downloaded DS and Genesis Starter Essentials again.  Re-installed DS and Essentials.
6.  Ran Ds and problem was not fixed.

—Thanks

Posted: 22 December 2012 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13

Computer specs…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 23 December 2012 01:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2003-10-09

I have a Windows 7 64-bit OS on a Core i7 with 24 GB ram,
Nvidia GTX 470 video card OpenGL 4.2 with the latest 310.70 drivers

Changing shaping parameters is not the only thing that causes a crash.  A crashes also occurred while I was changing pose parameters and while adjusting the lights.

——READ THIS———-
Saw this in DS logfile:
Temp folder: C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp
Total temp disk size: 122103 Mb, Available: 40033 Mb

Thinking that perhaps I needed more temp or cache space, I moved the temp and cache files from my C: drive which is 120 GB SSD to my D: drive which is a 1TB HD.

RESULT: I was able to change a few shaping parameters before crashing, whereas before I was not able to make any changes.  So it may be slightly more stable, but it is still crashing—This did not fix the problem.

Posted: 23 December 2012 05:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14312
Joined  2003-10-09

What are your OpenGL settings in Edit>Preferences>Interface?

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 23 December 2012 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2003-10-09

DS 4.5.1.6 Preferences > Interface > OpenGL

Hardware Antialiasing: On
Display Optimizatioj: None
Backface Lighting: On
Texture Resources: slider set at mid-point
Pixel Buffer: Off, slider set at mid-point

Current Hardware Features:
Current OpenGL Version:

OpenGL Provider:
NVIDIA Corporation

Hardware:
GeForce GTX 470/PCIe/SSE2

Features:

MultiTexturing
Supported

Shadow Map
Supported

Hardware Antialiasing
Supported

OpenGL Shading Language
Supported

Pixel Buffer
Supported

Pixel Buffer Size
Not Enabled

Maximum Number of Lights

Number of Texture Units

Maximum Texture Size
16384 x 16384

Posted: 23 December 2012 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14312
Joined  2003-10-09

OK, that’s not really pushing the system. You could try pulling the texture resources slider all the way to the performance end and see if that helps.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

2 of 3