2 of 3
My first WIP
Posted: 19 December 2012 12:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1314
Joined  2008-01-01

You are truly hooked, my friend:)

I look at everything and try to work out how to model it - often find myself wondering what size computer nature uses to render all that wonderful scenery…

Getting soft in the head:)

Posted: 19 December 2012 02:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2079
Joined  2003-10-09

yeah I am completely hooked. I am spending more time in Hex now than I spend in Poser. I’ve made 3 props now, 1 a dynamic cloth. I haven’t tried UV mapping anything yet, so as of now I am using procedural shaders to paint everything. In addition to modeling my own props I have Poserized a few models I found as freebies.

I found a free HISS tank to use in my G.I. Joe renders, pulled it up in Hex just to see how it was built, That thing was scary looking. I’, thinking when I get better at modeling I will need to build my own. This one was really bloated on the poly count. It just looked to me like there was wayyyy more geometry than it really needed, Maybe i’m just a newb and don’t know any better, but this thing just looked way too busy.

I’m trying not to tackle anything that is beyond my skills at the moment, there is a ton of stuff I want to model, but i don’t think I am ready to yet. I’ll get there, eventually.

Speaking of nature, I don’t know how many times I have seen things in the natural world and thought, “now if i rendered something like that, people would say it looked fake and unreal”. I saw a sky once, it was pinkish purple with white clouds, really thin white clouds in almost perfect straight lines all across the sky. it looked like someone had plowed a field, perfectly straight parallel lines of thin white clouds. If I had rendered that no one would think it looked real.

Posted: 19 December 2012 07:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2005-09-15

I find my self looking at things around my house now and thinking about how to model them in Hex

Oh yes Roy s/he is definitely doomed !  LOL

Signature 

Cheers, Fanners.raspberry

Posted: 19 December 2012 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  226
Joined  2005-01-15
RedSquare - 19 December 2012 07:28 AM

I find my self looking at things around my house now and thinking about how to model them in Hex

Agreed. Also, when it comes to texturing - you get strange looks when taking photos of the ground or brick walls I can tell you. You might laugh, but one day you’ll see something which would make a great model or texture and you’ll be glad you had your camera with you smile

Signature 

My DAZ Gallery

Posted: 19 December 2012 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

yup I know, I have been painting other peoples models for a long time. < that isnt as sexy as it just sounded. On top of that I an an independent film maker. So I am always out oh filming a tree, just a tree. People don’t realize that I’ll later be combining it with an actors face shot on green screen so that it looks like his face is the face of a talking tree. Or i am on a completely empty street filming an alien invasion that i will put in later. Yeah I am completely used to strange looks, and even stranger ones when I try to explain it.

Posted: 24 December 2012 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Took a break from my Cobra stuff today and made me a simple roll bar for the WWII Jeep….

Image Attachments
Jeep-Roll-Bar.jpg

Posted: 30 December 2012 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

today i was messing about, i had watched a couple tutorials on how to make a hole in a cube but i found most of them a tad confusing. kinda figured out my own way to do it, it seems to work pretty well

Image Attachments
Thingy2.jpg

Posted: 30 December 2012 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  200
Joined  2003-10-09

Good one Lycan

Signature 

Renderosity. http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=29771

Rendo Freebies. http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?username=ghostman

RDNA http://www.runtimedna.com/Ghostman/

Posted: 30 December 2012 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2224
Joined  2005-09-05
Wee Dangerous John - 19 December 2012 12:00 PM
RedSquare - 19 December 2012 07:28 AM

Agreed. Also, when it comes to texturing - you get strange looks when taking photos of the ground or brick walls I can tell you. You might laugh, but one day you’ll see something which would make a great model or texture and you’ll be glad you had your camera with you smile

lol do you ever…

Great stuff LX!

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 30 December 2012 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

lol not sure how great a cube with a hole through it is, but it has been a learning experience

Posted: 30 December 2012 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05
LycanthropeX - 30 December 2012 03:38 PM

lol not sure how great a cube with a hole through it is, but it has been a learning experience

I was actually thinking about the first item you posted. It was much better than my first attempts ; )

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 30 December 2012 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I still need to rebuild my cobra symbol. I keep learning new ways to make it better.

I really need to learn to UV map, that is really holding me back right now

Posted: 30 December 2012 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05
LycanthropeX - 30 December 2012 07:04 PM

I still need to rebuild my cobra symbol. I keep learning new ways to make it better.

I really need to learn to UV map, that is really holding me back right now

I’m still working on that but I picked up a copy of uv layout early this year and I love it so much easier than any other program I’ve tried but it costs a lot of money…

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 30 December 2012 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

i’ve been thinking of getting UV mapper pro, i have some experience with the free version

Posted: 30 December 2012 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05
LycanthropeX - 30 December 2012 08:05 PM

i’ve been thinking of getting UV mapper pro, i have some experience with the free version

that was what I used mostly prior to getting uv layout. Hexagons mapper drives me crazy…

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

2 of 3