Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Light Master by Dreamlight
Posted: 03 June 2012 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2007-12-24

Is it really supposed to be $1,116?  I was sort of interested, and followed the link to his website where it is listed as $47.  The product here says you need to buy it at DAZ to get the $270 in bonus items.  That doesn’t add up at all.

P.S.  Negotiating these forums is like swimming underwater with your eyes closed.  I doubt I’ll ever find my way back here to see the response, but please, do respond smile

Here is a link to the product:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/light-master-3d-lighting-made-easy-for-any-software

(probably not really a link…)

Posted: 03 June 2012 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2007-11-30

It’s a complete training session, which is the reason for this high price. Since it’s listed under the $1.99 items, it’s probably a Platinum Club-priced item, and since the store has revoked all discounts etc. for the time being to fix the store, it’ll probably revert to $1.99 when they’re done.

Posted: 03 June 2012 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  665
Joined  2007-05-26

Well you could take the $47 dollar training and then put http://www.daz3d.com/shop/its-all-about-light-31-in-1-pack on your wishlist as I think that bundle has most of the lightset products. Of course you need to purchase the products that go with the lights unless you already have them. I joined his email list and you get ALOT of emails…. but there are some great bargains on models training and lights… he is very talented.

Signature 

If I want to be a fool then I will be a fool! That is my God given right as an American!

—- Jason from True Blood

Posted: 03 June 2012 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2673
Joined  2011-12-10

I bought the course for $47… I consider it money well spent!

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 04 June 2012 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2007-12-24

Thanks for the good input folks!

I believe that if you buy Light Master from Daz, you get the $47 Light Master from Dreamlight along with the bonuses from Daz.  So my question still remains…. is $1,116 the correct price?

I’m guessing from responses that it is not, but no one really knows?

I joined Dreamlight for 3 months once, and I must say, I didn’t find it terribly helpful.  I enjoyed the downloads and all, but the forums were completely abandoned for that period of time.  There was one thread that someone got going, but there was hardly any responses and help going on.  I do agree he’s very talented, though.

Anyway, I’m not going to buy the $47 from Dream Light until I know what the true deal is here.  I was hoping for a response from Daz or Dreamlight.

Posted: 04 June 2012 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1742
Joined  2012-04-14

I’d join his mailing list . He recently had the light master for $24. My friend said that there are quite regular sales.

Posted: 04 June 2012 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  398
Joined  2006-08-21

$1116 sounds like a mistake to me. Even if it is correct, you can wait for the training to go on special at his own Dreamlight site and get it MUCH cheaper than $1116. Sign up for the Dreamlight newsletter to keep up with when sales occur.

https://www.dream-lounge.com/dreamlight/home.htm

It’s the blue box at the top of the page.

edit to say I got the training for 20 something dollars. I downloaded all the files for the Light Master training as well as the free training available to members. It was worth the price and more, but still not $1116.

Signature 

CG and Me

Posted: 04 June 2012 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  544
Joined  2007-01-20

[Double post removed]

Posted: 04 June 2012 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-01-20
booksbydavid - 04 June 2012 09:56 AM

$1116 sounds like a mistake to me. Even if it is correct, you can wait for the training to go on special at his own Dreamlight site and get it MUCH cheaper than $1116. Sign up for the Dreamlight newsletter to keep up with when sales occur.

https://www.dream-lounge.com/dreamlight/home.htm

It’s the blue box at the top of the page.

edit to say I got the training for 20 something dollars. I downloaded all the files for the Light Master training as well as the free training available to members. It was worth the price and more, but still not $1116.

No offense but I wouldn’t pay $1116 for him to deliver the material personally. lol

What can I say?  I’m cheap.  But I did pay the $47 for the modeling course.

Posted: 04 June 2012 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

Out of curiosity… how was that modelling course?

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 04 June 2012 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-01-20
wancow - 04 June 2012 09:50 PM

Out of curiosity… how was that modelling course?

The beginning is a bit too slow and repetitive for me but I am not new to modeling or selling products at DAZ.  Nevertheless I am watching every video and it is getting better as he moves into the actual modeling, which does not start until module 4 (of the 9 completed).

When I get a little further along I can give a more detailed assessment and talk about the value I got versus the price I paid. smile

Posted: 04 June 2012 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

That would be appreciated.  I was thinking about it.  What software is he using?

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 04 June 2012 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-01-20
wancow - 04 June 2012 10:55 PM

That would be appreciated.  I was thinking about it.  What software is he using?

Lightwave 9.6 (64 bit)...he likes that the GUI is clean, focused on modeling, and has text labels rather than icons.

Posted: 05 June 2012 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

Gotcha!  It’s the same reason I love D|S over Poser.  The interface is CLEAN!  (Rhino, my favourite modeller is the same way).  He doesn’t do Hexagon at all then?

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 05 June 2012 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-01-20
wancow - 05 June 2012 08:22 AM

Gotcha!  It’s the same reason I love D|S over Poser.  The interface is CLEAN!  (Rhino, my favourite modeller is the same way).  He doesn’t do Hexagon at all then?

Actually, he does cover some aspects of hexagon and recommends it to people starting out. Again he likes its clean GUI and the fact it is just a modeling.environment. He also touches on Carrara, Wings 3D and Blender, but the GUI of the latter gives him a headache, all that clutter.  (That is not the first time I have heard that about Blender!)  To be fair, he does not bash any software or tell people not to use it.  He just says why he doesn’t like it or why he doesn’t recommend it for beginners.  That said, he still encourages people to use what works for them.  I find that approach reasonable.  Can’t really expect him to do a tutorial for every modeling program his customers use. 

Personally, I wish he were using Modo. wink Regardless, most of what he talks about can easily be applied to other programs, so I don’t think the fact that he uses Lightwave is really a hindrance.  If one is not familiar with any of the content modellers though, one would need a software-specific book or video to learn the interface (at the least) to benefit from the DL course.

More later.

Posted: 05 June 2012 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10
3DProclivity - 05 June 2012 10:48 AM

Blender, but the GUI of the latter gives him a headache, all that clutter.  (That is not the first time I have heard that about Blender!)

More later.

You might have heard me screaming about that from the mountaintops! smile I can’t stand Blender’s UI.

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

1 of 2