Digital Art Zone

3 of 3
Bumpyness crashes Bryce every time.
Posted: 16 December 2012 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3696
Joined  2004-10-01

Another displacement experiment. A spherical height map was used for displacement. The height of the mountains is very much exaggerated. Displacement is coarse and there are also errors. Once it works correctly and has a fine resolution, we can create planets.

Image Attachments
EarthInSpace.jpg
 Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 17 December 2012 12:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2011-09-25

@Horo:  Both of your previous images are very interesting.  I like the results.

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 20 March 2013 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1598
Joined  2003-10-09
Horo - 16 December 2012 09:58 AM

Been also experimenting a bit with displacement, which works without crashing Bryce if you set the render priority to Low before you displace.

Thanks for this bit of information, Horo.  I was having nonstop crashes during spot renders, but this fixed it. 

Incidentally, if this is a problem and your scene is crashing right away when you open it, you MAY be able to salvage that scene if it loaded and proceeded to do a render if you can quick click somewhere to cancel the render, then make this fix or eliminate the problem item.

Another displacement-related issue I had, with a workaround:  I applied displacement to a sphere, and noticed that during rendering, it was rendered squared off and resembled a cube.  However if I re-render the area with spot-render, then re-render, it renders correctly.

Is it possible to use the results of the displacement as the negative portion of a boolean operation?  I tried and couldn’t get it to happen, but I’m not sure if that’s because it doesn’t work that way or if I was just doing something incorrectly.

Posted: 20 March 2013 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2647
Joined  2004-07-06
Sean Riesch - 20 March 2013 03:19 PM
Horo - 16 December 2012 09:58 AM

Been also experimenting a bit with displacement, which works without crashing Bryce if you set the render priority to Low before you displace.

Thanks for this bit of information, Horo.  I was having nonstop crashes during spot renders, but this fixed it. 

Incidentally, if this is a problem and your scene is crashing right away when you open it, you MAY be able to salvage that scene if it loaded and proceeded to do a render if you can quick click somewhere to cancel the render, then make this fix or eliminate the problem item.

Another displacement-related issue I had, with a workaround:  I applied displacement to a sphere, and noticed that during rendering, it was rendered squared off and resembled a cube.  However if I re-render the area with spot-render, then re-render, it renders correctly.

Is it possible to use the results of the displacement as the negative portion of a boolean operation?  I tried and couldn’t get it to happen, but I’m not sure if that’s because it doesn’t work that way or if I was just doing something incorrectly.

The links in the post from Stephen might offer some insights, seems he too has taken an interest in this very topic.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/18638/#280291

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 21 March 2013 03:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3696
Joined  2004-10-01
Sean Riesch - 20 March 2013 03:19 PM

Start Bryce first, then load the file. It will not start to render automatically as if you double click on the file, which then launches Bryce.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

3 of 3