2 of 3
Bumpyness crashes Bryce every time.
Posted: 14 December 2012 05:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2012-10-14
David Brinnen - 14 December 2012 02:59 AM
eireann.sg - 14 December 2012 01:39 AM

I think displacement can be nice. The lowest setting for Micropolygon I can use is 0.02 with a picture as displacement map and I think it looks best on spheres. I tried cubes but they give funny results and terrains dont give anything.

I think that’s the best displacement image I’ve seen rendered in Bryce yet!  The high quality lighting really brings out the subtle geometry.  I’m curious, how long did it take to render?

That took long. More than 50 minutes. Since I am impatient I went away and did something else while it rendered.
I used a self drawn BW image and set displacement to 1. Any more and it looks weird.
Happy you like the pic although there is still a small gap in the structure. Guess it needs more fiddling around to make it look seamless.

Posted: 14 December 2012 05:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1753
Joined  2007-12-10

Less extreme displacement.

2 channels used to texture, including bump and displacement.
Displacement set to 16.9.
Rendered with TA, soft shadows and DoF at 36RPP
Render time; 30 minutes.

Image Attachments
Displace2.jpg
 Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 14 December 2012 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-14
TheSavage64 - 14 December 2012 05:20 AM

Less extreme displacement.

2 channels used to texture, including bump and displacement.
Displacement set to 16.9.
Rendered with TA, soft shadows and DoF at 36RPP
Render time; 30 minutes.

That one looks very nice, like one of those Narn grenades.
Here a more seamless pic of my previous version. Smaller because I didnt want to wait as long as before..

Image Attachments
bloop_027.jpg

Posted: 14 December 2012 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10

Another interesting thing about Displacement (I’ve been playing with it and testing it all day).

Once you have a successfully placed displacement map on a primitive, you can then add any texture from the library and even though the displacement doesn’t show up in the Mat Editor, it remains on the primitive and seems to be stable and rendering quickly.

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 14 December 2012 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-14
TheSavage64 - 14 December 2012 09:10 AM

Another interesting thing about Displacement (I’ve been playing with it and testing it all day).

Once you have a successfully placed displacement map on a primitive, you can then add any texture from the library and even though the displacement doesn’t show up in the Mat Editor, it remains on the primitive and seems to be stable and rendering quickly.

That sounds odd.

Posted: 14 December 2012 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10

Yes, it was very odd.
I pushed it and pushed it and it did everything I threw at it. When I duplicated the object, it’s duplicate didn’t have the displacement.
Then a thought occurred to me, I saved the document and quit Bryce, then re-opened it and the displacement had gone leaving the sphere a rough mesh sphere with visibly flattened faces.

Signature 

Posted: 14 December 2012 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-14
TheSavage64 - 14 December 2012 06:23 PM

Yes, it was very odd.
I pushed it and pushed it and it did everything I threw at it. When I duplicated the object, it’s duplicate didn’t have the displacement.
Then a thought occurred to me, I saved the document and quit Bryce, then re-opened it and the displacement had gone leaving the sphere a rough mesh sphere with visibly flattened faces.

Did you try to export the displaced sphere?
I was thinking of a new and interesting way making new shapes.
That displacement function though is interesting is giving me the creeps. smile
BTW: my spheres look so clean because I was using a bitmap image.

Posted: 14 December 2012 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-14

I found out some more weirdness.
Yes, if you put in a displacement and then change the material to something without displacement then the displacement remains.
Another weird thing is: If you use the Classic Checkerboard material both for your colour and displacement, the colour and displacements dont match up.
It only looks nice if you use displacement and ether a single colour or some totally different colour pattern.

Posted: 14 December 2012 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  214
Joined  2003-10-09

I reported the failure for diffuse and displacement to match up but you can offset the texture make it match. I can’t find the files I did on this but I seem to recall it’s something like adding 25 BU to the X offset.
Recently when I was going through the Modo documentation on displacement I found a note that states something to the effect that models made from tri-polys can produce “undesirable and/or unreliable” results and not recommended for displacement. Since objects in Bryce are all procedural or tri-mesh this may be the root of most of the problems.

Posted: 15 December 2012 03:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-14
dan whiteside - 14 December 2012 07:24 PM

I reported the failure for diffuse and displacement to match up but you can offset the texture make it match. I can’t find the files I did on this but I seem to recall it’s something like adding 25 BU to the X offset.
Recently when I was going through the Modo documentation on displacement I found a note that states something to the effect that models made from tri-polys can produce “undesirable and/or unreliable” results and not recommended for displacement. Since objects in Bryce are all procedural or tri-mesh this may be the root of most of the problems.

and displacement creates such tri-pols.
where do I find that x-offset. I am still new to Bryce.
I found the nicest results can be obtained by BItmap images. You can decide what to show and everything is evenly high.

Posted: 15 December 2012 07:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3773
Joined  2004-10-01

I think you look for this - though I inadvertently marked Y instead of X. You have the transformation tool for each texture in the mat lab. On top is size, middle is rotation and bottom is offset. Just click on the top left button of the texture.

Image Attachments
y-Offset.jpg
 Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 15 December 2012 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  214
Joined  2003-10-09

Thanks Horo for posting that.
I also found my test file and of course my memory was way off (LOL).
Here’s the test image and it’s -30.5 Y offset.

Image Attachments
disp_offset.jpg

Posted: 15 December 2012 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-14
Horo - 15 December 2012 07:05 AM

I think you look for this - though I inadvertently marked Y instead of X. You have the transformation tool for each texture in the mat lab. On top is size, middle is rotation and bottom is offset. Just click on the top left button of the texture.

Thanks guys, you are the best. smile
I woudnt have thought to find that there. Seems there is still a lot to discover for me in Bryce.

Posted: 16 December 2012 01:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01
eireann.sg - 15 December 2012 05:57 PM

Seems there is still a lot to discover for me in Bryce.

Sure. Bryce is also an adventure game. Click on everything and find yet another treasure.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 16 December 2012 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

Been also experimenting a bit with displacement, which works without crashing Bryce if you set the render priority to Low before you displace. All primitives seem to work, except metaballs. The material used for displacing (from the upcoming p43-Metals 2 product) was not a fortunate choice. Render times with Obscure Light and Obscure Glow were up to 8-1/2 hours and the result ugly due to the coarse micropolygons. This one is lit by the specular convolved HDRI (which will come with the p43-Metals 2), a bit of sun to the right and a radial to the left. The ALST was set in front of the camera to prove that what we see is displacement, not bump. Rendered in around an hour.

The first picture is the anaglyph, the second one the 8-1/2 hour render with Obscure Light and Obscure Glow.

Image Attachments
8metas_Ana.jpg8metas_TA.jpg
 Signature 

2 of 3