Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Bumpyness crashes Bryce every time.
Posted: 13 December 2012 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2012-10-14

Here the partial render, the material settings and the crash report.
If I select the second channel it doesnt crash. Only when using the third one possibly due to higher complexity?

Image Attachments
bloop_023.jpgbloop_024.jpgbloop_025.jpg

Posted: 13 December 2012 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3336
Joined  2004-10-01

Displacement is most probably the culprit - and it is used for the third component. Displacement doesn’t behave stable.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 13 December 2012 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-14
Horo - 13 December 2012 06:08 AM

Displacement is most probably the culprit - and it is used for the third component. Displacement doesn’t behave stable.

Thats what I reckon.
Maybe I should put the bump in Channel B and displacement in C or vice versa, but not today.
I am tired now playing around, besides its cold outside. We have got rain and the temp has dropped to a freezing 24 degC. Have to see where my sweater is.

Posted: 13 December 2012 06:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15127
Joined  2003-10-09

A freezing 24c   hmmm,  we have a balmy 1c here at the moment, had dropped to -8c overnight.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 13 December 2012 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2006-05-26

Displacement and bump are entirely different features. Bump uses shading to create the impression of added geometry, while displacement literally creates new geometry. It is in the generation of the added geometry that Bryce gets fouled up with displacement. Bryce uses a micro-polygon displacement that is controlled in the Attributes tab at the very bottom. Only once you have enabled displacement in the material lab does this option become ungrayed out in the attributes tab. The smaller the microplygon size the more polygons are created and the more ram is required. Try using larger settings like .05. You only have a few moments from the time you first enable displacement to quickly get over to the attributes and lower the default micropolygon quality from default .0.1 to a larger setting.

Displacement never quite got completed in the most recent dev cycle. Clearly it is the top of the list for the next cycle if that indeed happens. There’s the short and the skinny.

Signature 

Please view my Daz3d User Gallery
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/465/

Posted: 13 December 2012 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3336
Joined  2004-10-01

Thanks for dropping in, Rashad. I was sure you’ll be of better help than me.

Temperatures - a still warm -10C in the morning. This will drop considerably as the winter progresses.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 13 December 2012 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2523
Joined  2004-07-06

Graham reported that displacement was mostly usable on one of his single-core P4 machines.  And suggested that setting the priority to low might offer improved stability for multi-core processes.  Note “improved” - you will still experience frequent crashes with displacement, but with care you might get to complete a render.  It’s a interesting feature, but somewhat broken.

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 13 December 2012 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-14

@Rashad Carter, thanks for the detailed explanations.

I found that I have to be really fast to change the Attributes setting after applying a displacement material or it crashes.
It is not easy to do that. First you have to get out of the material editor, then quickly move your mouse to “A” and by the time you have adjusted the value Bryce has usually already crashed.

Is there a Preference setting that can be used so that the Micropolygon setting doesnt use 0.01 in the first place?
My computer has 12 GB ram but guess Bryce cant use more than 2GB…

for the temperatures: Here in Singapore we are not used to having such low temperatures and I regretted so many times not having brought over a heater last time I went to Europe.

Posted: 13 December 2012 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-14
Horo - 13 December 2012 07:48 AM

Thanks for dropping in, Rashad. I was sure you’ll be of better help than me.

Temperatures - a still warm -10C in the morning. This will drop considerably as the winter progresses.

I think I would die if I had to live again in Switzerland. I worked a while in Horgen, but now after so many years in the tropics it would be difficult to move to 4 season countries. I loved Medellin though.

Posted: 13 December 2012 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-14
David Brinnen - 13 December 2012 10:37 AM

Graham reported that displacement was mostly usable on one of his single-core P4 machines.  And suggested that setting the priority to low might offer improved stability for multi-core processes.  Note “improved” - you will still experience frequent crashes with displacement, but with care you might get to complete a render.  It’s a interesting feature, but somewhat broken.

It could be interesting to create some kind of hair or fur using a really small pattern.

Posted: 13 December 2012 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1308
Joined  2006-08-19
eireann.sg - 13 December 2012 06:02 PM

I found that I have to be really fast to change the Attributes setting after applying a displacement material or it crashes.
It is not easy to do that. First you have to get out of the material editor, then quickly move your mouse to “A” and by the time you have adjusted the value Bryce has usually already crashed.

Is there a Preference setting that can be used so that the Micropolygon setting doesnt use 0.01 in the first place?

for the temperatures: Here in Singapore we are not used to having such low temperatures and I regretted so many times not having brought over a heater last time I went to Europe.

if you make a mat that is a flat color and set displacement to that (and leave displacement at 0) you can go to attributes and change the micro polygon setting THEN go in and make the correct changed to the dispalcement settings. I’ve had that work with ok success

but yeah displacement tends to crash bryce, especially if using alot of the premium render functions.

Signature 

http://rarethdigitalmusings.blogspot.com/

http://rareth1966.deviantart.com/gallery/

Posted: 14 December 2012 12:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-14
Rareth - 13 December 2012 08:19 PM
eireann.sg - 13 December 2012 06:02 PM

if you make a mat that is a flat color and set displacement to that (and leave displacement at 0) you can go to attributes and change the micro polygon setting THEN go in and make the correct changed to the dispalcement settings. I’ve had that work with ok success

but yeah displacement tends to crash bryce, especially if using alot of the premium render functions.

Thanks for the tip:
I think a much better solution would be to introduce a number field in the MAT editor to adjust that.
If you want to use the same displacement map for many different shapes it might be a lot of work changing the Micropolygon setting for each shape separately.
Besides, if you ADD a new material with displacement you always have to create a dummy material first to adjust the Micropolygon setting and then put the desired material onto it.

BTW: does someone know why the Materials lab has the size as if it was made for 640*480px screens?

Posted: 14 December 2012 01:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2006-05-26

It’s because of computer monitors being so small back then with very few pixels compared to now. But the new problem is people wanting to run Bryce on tablets and things, such users have the same screen resolution demands as computers had back in the ‘90s when Bryce was being released, small screens. So in my opinion we are stuck with these buttons for a long time to come. We’ve already begun to see people upset that Bryce labs dont always fit and display properly on tablets. As a desktop user I have little patience honestly for the needs of tablet users, but then I’m just a closed minded selfish prick of sorts. Balancing the interface of Bryce over the next releases will be interesting to see how it goes. it if goes.

Signature 

Please view my Daz3d User Gallery
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/465/

Posted: 14 December 2012 01:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-14
Rashad Carter - 14 December 2012 01:33 AM

It’s because of computer monitors being so small back then with very few pixels compared to now. But the new problem is people wanting to run Bryce on tablets and things, such users have the same screen resolution demands as computers had back in the ‘90s when Bryce was being released, small screens. So in my opinion we are stuck with these buttons for a long time to come. We’ve already begun to see people upset that Bryce labs dont always fit and display properly on tablets. As a desktop user I have little patience honestly for the needs of tablet users, but then I’m just a closed minded selfish prick of sorts. Balancing the interface of Bryce over the next releases will be interesting to see how it goes. it if goes.

I dont see Bryce running on Tablets, yet. They are so slow, toys.
I think more serious people dont use it on tablets and not even on laptops.
But then: There could be two setups, one for small screens and one for bigger ones. BTW: dont tablets have 1024 px resolution?

I think displacement can be nice. The lowest setting for Micropolygon I can use is 0.02 with a picture as displacement map and I think it looks best on spheres. I tried cubes but they give funny results and terrains dont give anything.

Image Attachments
bloop_026.jpg

Posted: 14 December 2012 02:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2523
Joined  2004-07-06
eireann.sg - 14 December 2012 01:39 AM

I think displacement can be nice. The lowest setting for Micropolygon I can use is 0.02 with a picture as displacement map and I think it looks best on spheres. I tried cubes but they give funny results and terrains dont give anything.

I think that’s the best displacement image I’ve seen rendered in Bryce yet!  The high quality lighting really brings out the subtle geometry.  I’m curious, how long did it take to render?

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 14 December 2012 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1540
Joined  2007-12-10

Extreme Displacement.

Main drawback, render time.

An odd thing happens when I convert the sphere to a cube. The Micropolygon attribute defaults to 0.10, when I change it to any other number, it makes no difference, the display works and I click the tick to OK the attributes window. NO change to object and when I enter back into the attributes, it has defaulted back to 0.10.

Image Attachments
Displace1.jpg
 Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

1 of 3