Digital Art Zone

keyMate Question
Posted: 12 December 2012 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  160
Joined  2006-10-28

This product looks interesting, but I’d like more information on it. Can someone explain the advantages of using this over just using the Timeline, or even aniMate 2?

Posted: 12 December 2012 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2008-04-10

Of course I am biased, but in case you where wondering…

There is some information here
- http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/13137/

A short answer would be
- aniMate2 is an NLA(non linear animation) system
- keyMate is a linear animation Interface that operates on DAZ Studio’s keyframes

What does that usually mean for the user?
- if you want premade animation segments(called aniBlocks) use aniMate2.  A “lite” version is included with all versions of Studio.  Purchasing aniMate2 allows editing of the keys inside the aniBlocks.
- if you want to create from scratch and/or are used to a traditional animation system.  keyMate is what you probably want.

Posted: 12 December 2012 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  160
Joined  2006-10-28

OK, thank you very much, Go_Figure, for the quick reply. I’m going to check out the link right now.

Posted: 14 December 2012 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  819
Joined  2007-01-08

Keep in mind that the default interpolation on the DS timeline is of a cubic spline. Having linear interpolation would require a separate script, which after a while can become boring, so keyMate, which does linear interpolation by default, is work-saving. KeyMate also does key-frame copy/paste which is hard to do in the Timeline (again it would require a separate script, which does exist but is time consuming).

Posted: 14 December 2012 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2008-04-10

keyMate respects Studio’s default of TCB interpolation, but allows you to select the keys you want linear and change them to linear interpolation.