Easy Environments: Snowy Mountains (Daz Studio & Poser) [Commercial]

FlipmodeFlipmode Posts: 531
05Promo_SnowyMountains.jpg
1200 x 675 - 237K
07Promo_SnowyMountains.jpg
1200 x 675 - 247K
02Promo_SnowyMountains.jpg
1200 x 675 - 289K
Post edited by Flipmode on
«13456721

Comments

  • ErdehelErdehel Posts: 190
    edited December 1969

    This is definitely something I will buy. Not enough panoramic scenes for Studio, I agree.

  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,069
    edited December 1969

    Nice! I read the article on skyboxes, and it sounds very interesting.

  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 6,003
    edited December 1969

    Gorgeous! I'll be watching this very closely. I especially love the work you put into the edge of the snow vs. road terrain areas there - very rough and real.

  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 3,433
    edited December 1969

    Intriguing. Watching with definite interest.

  • ShaneWSmithShaneWSmith Posts: 537
    edited December 1969

    Wow that looks incredible. Can't wait to see it released!

  • FlipmodeFlipmode Posts: 531
    edited December 1969

    Thanks for the comments!
    I really hope you`ll enjoy those sets as much as I enjoy making them...I wouldn`t mind to keep going with that style for a while.
    At least six sets are almost certain though ;)

    And thx Miss B for mentioning the skybox page read, I am glad to know it serves it`s purpose!

  • FixmypcmikeFixmypcmike Posts: 12,358
    edited December 1969

    Are you going to have the same landscape in different seasons?

  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    What a wonderful idea, as an ex-game designer I understand the term skybox. The fact you include working geometry and material zones is a leap I never would've thought of. I will watch this closely and hope to use this very soon. Please hurry. I have a use for this product at this time.

  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 5,582
    edited December 1969

    I would buy it in a heartbeat. I am so much in need of good winter environments! Looks wonderful.

  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 1,269
    edited December 1969

    very nice! I can see using that second screen for some SW Hoth battle scenes.

  • KeryaKerya Posts: 7,260
    edited December 1969

    Looks great! *wants*

  • FlipmodeFlipmode Posts: 531
    edited December 1969

    Are you going to have the same landscape in different seasons?
    Not planned right now, sorry.
    The sets themselves cover various seasons of course. Eg. "Greenlands" (likely to be released third) will be a rather colorful summer scene. The scaling of the textures is pretty consistent, so one could easily take the textures from set A and use them on the terrain from set B. I think the pricing is pretty moderate, so you can probably cover all you need without ending up broke ;)

    Jaderail said:
    ...as an ex-game designer I understand the term skybox. ...Please hurry. I have a use for this product at this time.

    A fellow ex-game designer! Waving here. Yes, our breed grew up with skyboxes :)
    I know "Winter" is somewhat seasonal, I`d rather have had it released early December.
    But as it is, it should release tomorrow (Thursday). I don`t have it confirmed, but that`s the date I asked for.

    ...I can see using that second screen for some SW Hoth battle scenes.


    Ah, good idea! Personally I had my mind more on Game of Thrones (and Christmas...), but a Hoth scene sounds awesome.


    Thanks for the kind words on the other comments as well, glad you like it!

  • KharmaKharma Posts: 1,530
    edited December 1969

    These look great! Hopefully very easy to use also :)

  • LeanaLeana Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

    I love this :)

  • MachieltjeMachieltje Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Ok, so I like the look of this and I could probably put this to good use especially since there are very few outdoor terrains available but after having the mesh show up in several sky domes allready I have to ask: How does a sky box deal with different camara angles specifically in combination with UE2. ( little point in subDing a cube....)

  • TotteTotte Posts: 7,071
    edited December 1969

    Me like!
    Good on Skyboxes, I must check if I can render sky boxes in Vue, it can render skydomes...

  • FlipmodeFlipmode Posts: 531
    edited December 1969

    Thanks for the added comments ;)


    Ok, so I like the look of this and I could probably put this to good use especially since there are very few outdoor terrains available but after having the mesh show up in several sky domes allready I have to ask: How does a sky box deal with different camara angles specifically in combination with UE2. ( little point in subDing a cube....)

    Tbh., I don`t really understand the question. But that shall not keep me from trying to answer ;)
    -Skybox & camera angles:
    Best take a look at the video link on the first post, especially the vid for "Mountain Trail" gives a good look at the skybox.
    Compared to skydomes there are quite some differences. The most obvious one is that a skydome only coveres the upper part of a scene, whereas a skybox covers the whole scene.
    Skydomes can have distortions on / towards the top, skyboxes can have distortions on the edges. I have to admit that you can see that on the Winter skybox (e.g. first render I posted here) if you pay attention, on others (like on the next set, Mountain Trail) it is barely noticeable.
    I don`t know what you mean by saying "mesh shows up on some skydomes", but I`d guess you mean shadows. That should not be the case with skydomes or skyboxes, as long as the surfaces are set up properly.
    UE2...I gave it a quick test run, didn`t notice any problems. I`d still recommend to use the light included with the sets though.

    ...I must check if I can render sky boxes in Vue, it can render skydomes


    I don`t have Vue so I can`t give you a 100% answer, but technically there is little difference between skydomes and skyboxes (surface setup), so I think it should work.

  • KeryaKerya Posts: 7,260
    edited December 1969

    He is talking about the mesh / grid lines showing up when using UberEnvironment:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/6814/P60/#95823

  • TotteTotte Posts: 7,071
    edited December 1969

    Cube is an option in Vue (I just had to check), now I need to figure out a way to put "land" there too ;-)

  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 5,582
    edited December 1969

    I've had trouble with the mesh in other items I've bought. You can try increasing shadow bias on the surface of your item to see if this will solve it. It did for me with Planet Alpine. PS, it can mess up your shadows... But it took the lines away...

  • MachieltjeMachieltje Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Flipmode said:
    Thanks for the added comments ;)


    Ok, so I like the look of this and I could probably put this to good use especially since there are very few outdoor terrains available but after having the mesh show up in several sky domes allready I have to ask: How does a sky box deal with different camara angles specifically in combination with UE2. ( little point in subDing a cube....)

    Tbh., I don`t really understand the question. But that shall not keep me from trying to answer ;)
    -Skybox & camera angles:
    Best take a look at the video link on the first post, especially the vid for "Mountain Trail" gives a good look at the skybox.
    Compared to skydomes there are quite some differences. The most obvious one is that a skydome only coveres the upper part of a scene, whereas a skybox covers the whole scene.
    Skydomes can have distortions on / towards the top, skyboxes can have distortions on the edges. I have to admit that you can see that on the Winter skybox (e.g. first render I posted here) if you pay attention, on others (like on the next set, Mountain Trail) it is barely noticeable.
    I don`t know what you mean by saying "mesh shows up on some skydomes", but I`d guess you mean shadows. That should not be the case with skydomes or skyboxes, as long as the surfaces are set up properly.
    UE2...I gave it a quick test run, didn`t notice any problems. I`d still recommend to use the light included with the sets though.

    ...I must check if I can render sky boxes in Vue, it can render skydomes


    I don`t have Vue so I can`t give you a 100% answer, but technically there is little difference between skydomes and skyboxes (surface setup), so I think it should work.

    Well without understanding the question you still managed to answer most of it :D The distortion you mentioned was one thing I was a bit concerned about. What I meant with the mesh thingy is the gridlines other posters here have allready mentioned.

    btw I always at least try the included lights and in some cases even use them I'm just picky when it comes to light and rarely satisfied even with the sollutions I come up with myself :P

  • FlipmodeFlipmode Posts: 531
    edited December 1969

    Doh, that`s what you were on about! Funny I didn`t realize that, I actually filed a bug report on the issue about a year ago ;)
    Well, that problem can come up with any lighting, UE2 or not, it seems to be some sort of bug with DS lighting.

    I didn`t see any of it on the Easy Environment sets with my default lightings.
    I didn`t see it on the quick UE2 test run I did before either ( https://dl.dropbox.com/u/38361004/Screenshots/WinterUE2.jpg ), but now that I know what to look for, I can see a tiny bit of it on the terrain, the skybox seems 100% clean.

    As for non-UE2 lighting, my "trick" to avoid it is using a proper set of directional lights for ambience. The EE sets are built that way, with one sunlight and 3 ambient lights. It goes well with landscapes imo.
    I believe when using UE2 it`s more or less a gamble.

    Anyway, good thing you care a lot about good lighting, imo it can easily make or break a render.

    On a sidenote, the promo renders are 100% untouched, there is not even any brightness or contrast correction, so the lighting you see there is exactly what you`d get for Poser & DS.

    On another sidenote, "Winter" got released, they just hide it well... ;)
    Link: Winter Daz Store

  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 19,963
    edited December 1969

    Is there an image showing the actual geometry, without the skybox? I'm having trouble sorting out which is which from the renders.

  • FlipmodeFlipmode Posts: 531
    edited December 1969

    Is there an image showing the actual geometry, without the skybox? I'm having trouble sorting out which is which from the renders.

    Hehe, that`s the most pleasant thing to read...after all that`s basicly the idea of the sets ;)

    Here`s a quick wireframe from DS >
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/38361004/Screenshots/WinterWire.jpg

  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 19,963
    edited December 1969

    Thanks, that makes it clear - I thought the ground probably stretched that far but wasn't sure.

  • JennKJennK Posts: 737
    edited December 1969

    Bought the set today it is awesome. I needed a good snow landscape. Also changed the color a bit and created a halfway decent desert. I know that wasn't what it was intended for I just can't help myself sometimes. Thanks again looking forward to more seasons.

  • FlipmodeFlipmode Posts: 531
    edited December 1969

    Thanks for posting feedback JK0011, glad you like it!
    About turning it into a desert, cool idea but ...patience young jedi, there`s something coming ;)

  • JennKJennK Posts: 737
    edited December 2012

    Flipmode said:
    Thanks for posting feedback JK0011, glad you like it!
    About turning it into a desert, cool idea but ...patience young jedi, there`s something coming ;)

    You are most welcome...

    OK I am now intrigued however I shall practice patience Obi-Wan.... :coolsmirk:

    Post edited by JennK on
  • ShaneWSmithShaneWSmith Posts: 537
    edited December 1969

    Bought it as soon as I saw it.

    What I'm really after is a green scene - general countryside walking path, etc. I'm going to play with the colours as JK0011 did, see what I can make (although I presume something like this is also coming, Flipmode!)

    Are the forthcoming sets completely different environments, or texture packs for this one (or a mixture)?

  • ChristenChristen Posts: 218
    edited December 1969


    What I'm really after is a green scene - general countryside walking path, etc. I'm going to play with the colours as JK0011 did, see what I can make (although I presume something like this is also coming, Flipmode!)

    Dittoing this!

    The set looks great. Will grab it in the next day or two :)

Sign In or Register to comment.
Rocket Fuel