Digital Art Zone

4 of 4
Altering textures - copyright question
Posted: 11 December 2012 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1336
Joined  2006-03-14

Please do not debate the legality or morality of the EULA or copyright in general.  It is a well traveled path both here and elsewhere and the conversation always ends up with pure argument for argument’s sake.  Any such further material down this path will result in the thread being closed. 

Thank you.

Signature 

My Tutorials and Freebies Index

Posted: 11 December 2012 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  761
Joined  2003-10-09

If I re-record a Michael Jackson song with me tapping my feet in the background, and release it as a single, I’d end up in court. I could argue that it would sell more MJ discs, but I doubt I’d win the case.

Taking any original work and modifying it, then re-distributing it (free or for money), is prohibited in almost every country in the world. Doesn’t matter whether it’s an image, music or a pair of shoes.

And in the time spent discussing it, you could probably make an original texture of your own. (I appreciate you’re only asking the legality of it. And to your credit…. at least you’re polite enough to ask).

mac

Posted: 11 December 2012 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2862
Joined  2004-04-25

With regards to original question, are you offering the altered texture as freebie or were you planning on selling the altered texture?

If you are offering as a freebie, you could always go the oldie route of RTE encoding the texture.  This ensures that only those who have already purchased the product can decode the texture and use it.

Simply making a few changes to a texture and then selling it as your own can lead to many, many problems.  One of the biggest and messiest was in late May of 2007.  If you have a Rendo account, search the Copyright and infringement form for that time period.  You will learn a great deal. 

Too bad you can’t get into the old Poser Pros forums either.  Issues of copyright infringement happened there at least 4 or 5 times. 

Signature 

“...not world enough nor time…” 

Posted: 11 December 2012 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16369
Joined  2003-10-09

Richard has already made a post about RTE encoder., and whether it is an acceptable method,  further back in the thread.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        October Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 12 December 2012 12:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1726
Joined  2008-05-31
cwichura - 11 December 2012 02:05 PM

Moan all you want, that won’t change the laws.

If enough people moan, it will. It’s not many years ago there were laws that forbid black people doing certain things that were allowed for white people.

I’m not really trying to change any laws though, just pointing out the purpose of laws and where they are appropriate or not. This seem to have been forgotten in many contexts.

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 12 December 2012 01:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-31
larsmidnatt - 11 December 2012 02:13 PM

You have to think about the larger reach of the rules and not focus on one situation.
People shouldn’t redistribute other peoples work without permission, there doesn’t need to be any justification for why a creator won’t allow it. That is the right of the copyright holder.

Sure, and I respect that. If I don’t like the terms I just don’t buy the stuff.

I just think there are too many cases where laws and rules simply prevent people from doing things that basically are constructive. There should be a law against that. wink

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 12 December 2012 01:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-31
icprncss - 11 December 2012 04:41 PM

With regards to original question, are you offering the altered texture as freebie or were you planning on selling the altered texture?

If you are offering as a freebie, you could always go the oldie route of RTE encoding the texture.  This ensures that only those who have already purchased the product can decode the texture and use it.

Simply making a few changes to a texture and then selling it as your own can lead to many, many problems.  One of the biggest and messiest was in late May of 2007.  If you have a Rendo account, search the Copyright and infringement form for that time period.  You will learn a great deal. 

Too bad you can’t get into the old Poser Pros forums either.  Issues of copyright infringement happened there at least 4 or 5 times. 

Just a freebie, nothing commercial. I’d never do that, as this is just preying on other people’s hard work.

I just altered a texture for private use, as I wasn’t satisfied with the one included with the product. Then I thought why not share it so others having the same product could benefit from it also.

Anyway, EOD from here. Thanks everyone for your input.. wink

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

4 of 4