Digital Art Zone

1 of 4
Altering textures - copyright question
Posted: 11 December 2012 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1708
Joined  2008-05-31

Is it allowed to redistribute (for free) a texture included with a DAZ product, which you have altered slightly? It can only be used by people who have purchased the same product anyway, so I can’t see anyone would lose anything by doing this.

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 11 December 2012 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1336
Joined  2006-03-14
Taozen - 11 December 2012 08:44 AM

Is it allowed to redistribute (for free) a texture included with a DAZ product, which you have altered slightly? It can only be used by people who have purchased the same product anyway, so I can’t see anyone would lose anything by doing this.

No.  Redistribution is never allowed.

Signature 

My Tutorials and Freebies Index

Posted: 11 December 2012 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  305
Joined  2003-10-09

The way to do this might be to make a layer (.png or .psd) that can then be added to the texture in a 2D program (as LIE has not been updated).

So if you made say a scar that could be added to a skin texture, you could redistribute the scar for adding on, but not the texture itself.

Signature 

Freebies

Posted: 11 December 2012 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1336
Joined  2006-03-14

MLIE is included in 4.5 as a standard part of the pro bundle. 

Image Attachments
201211291314_mlie.png
 Signature 

My Tutorials and Freebies Index

Posted: 11 December 2012 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  305
Joined  2003-10-09

Thanks. There’s so much in Pro I’d never noticed it there.

That’s three useful things I’ve learned today which makes it a good day.

Signature 

Freebies

Posted: 11 December 2012 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-31
adamr001 - 11 December 2012 08:53 AM

OK. Rather silly if you ask me, as I can create an almost identical texture from scratch and redistribute it freely.

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 11 December 2012 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6635
Joined  2005-08-15
Taozen - 11 December 2012 09:35 AM

OK. Rather silly if you ask me, as I can create an almost identical texture from scratch and redistribute it freely.

It depends on the texture surely.  I am sure that many of the textures that are included free with the DAZ 3D models take a great deal of time to create, and texturing is no simple task in my opinion.

Posted: 11 December 2012 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4911
Joined  2009-02-26

Either that or save the details you’ve made (ie. a scar) as a png without a background. that way people can layer those details in Gimp or photoshop… If you do it right, such details could then theoretically be added to other texture sets too. and as long as everything on your png is ‘all yours’ then you can distribute it. (Obviously you cant if it has some one else textures in it (in part or full)) You can only distribute what IS YOURS. smile

Signature 

- SpyroRue’s Deviant Art -

Posted: 11 December 2012 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3415
Joined  2009-08-05

It’s not silly. Its the same principal as me slightly modifying somebody’s clothing item and distributing it. Even though I can make it myself. Bottom line, it does not belong to you so you have no right distributing it.

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 11 December 2012 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-31
Baglet - 11 December 2012 09:25 AM

The way to do this might be to make a layer (.png or .psd) that can then be added to the texture in a 2D program (as LIE has not been updated).

So if you made say a scar that could be added to a skin texture, you could redistribute the scar for adding on, but not the texture itself.

In this case I’ve covered some holes in a jeans texture by pasting some other part of the texture over them. If I should do like you say I suppose I’ll have to use some other source material then, otherwise it will also be a copyright infringement?

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 11 December 2012 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2302
Joined  2010-12-18
Taozen - 11 December 2012 09:59 AM
Baglet - 11 December 2012 09:25 AM

In this case I’ve covered some holes in a jeans texture by pasting some other part of the texture over them. If I should do like you say I suppose I’ll have to use some other source material then, otherwise it will also be a copyright infringement?

That is correct.

Signature 

My deviantArt Pinup Gallery

Posted: 11 December 2012 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-31
JimmyC_2009 - 11 December 2012 09:40 AM

It depends on the texture surely.  I am sure that many of the textures that are included free with the DAZ 3D models take a great deal of time to create, and texturing is no simple task in my opinion.

True, but i’m only considering the legal aspects here.

If I alter some textures of a product in a way that improves them and give them away for free, it might actually help selling more copies of the original product. So it might actually be in DAZ’ own interest to allow it.

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 11 December 2012 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15971
Joined  2003-10-09

There are many of us who make textures for Daz Products and distribute, but we do make them completely from scratch, we never alter other peoples textures.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 11 December 2012 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18
Taozen - 11 December 2012 10:09 AM

If I alter some textures of a product in a way that improves them and give them away for free, it might actually help selling more copies of the original product. So it might actually be in DAZ’ own interest to allow it.

Daz loves it when you do that, give away free stuff that makes their products better. But it has to be 100% all your own work/content. Or at least you have to have the rights to said content. In this case you don’t.

Signature 

Posted: 11 December 2012 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18
chohole - 11 December 2012 10:12 AM

There are many of us who make textures for Daz Products and distribute, but we do make them completely from scratch, we never alter other peoples textures.

Well to be clear here, you can make things from scratch or use content you have permission to distribute and reuse. For example merchant resource textures are fair game as well as other content people share and state can be redistributed.

Signature 

Posted: 11 December 2012 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1609
Joined  2008-11-10
Taozen - 11 December 2012 10:09 AM
JimmyC_2009 - 11 December 2012 09:40 AM

True, but i’m only considering the legal aspects here.

Ok, let me hit a bit closer to home. How about I reverse-engineer the code for the programs you plan on selling, make improvements to that, then redistribute it? I’m sure you’ll allow that, if I apply the same level of logic. You’re OK with that, right?

I’m pretty sure you’ll be trying to contact a lawyer to stop me from doing that. Just like DAZ would stop you from modifying their items and redistiributing it.

If it isn’t yours, then you can’t redistribute it, period. Show your improvements through work you’ve done yourself; don’t modify and redistribute. It can’t be much clearer than that.

1 of 4