Digital Art Zone

5 of 10
keyMate - Commercial - Released
Posted: 14 December 2012 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2008-04-10
kitakoredaz - 14 December 2012 09:28 AM

I can not tweak and adjust curve of movements between two key frame ^^;?

keyMate does not include a graph editor, if that is what you are asking.  You can change the interpolation types for keys to be TCB(the default), Linear, and Constant.

(of course it seems useful I can change the value of each key frame in ds timeline,,
so I may not regret to get keymate)

Of Course you you will love it smile  I am biased, so you probably should not take my word for it.  If you are creating animation from scratch and find aniMate2 too complex for this, then keyMate is what you want.  I personally prefer this to aniMate2 when animating simple objects and cameras.  For figures, aniBlocks all the way for me.

and,, Go figure said,, there was bug, when use keymate with auto-fit,
then,, have the bug are alredy removed ?

now I download it. if I need send pm?

If you use autofit and don’t want to wait for an installer. send me a pm.

Posted: 14 December 2012 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-04-10
marble - 14 December 2012 09:43 AM

Doesn’t baking to the timeline make every frame a keyframe? What effect will deleting whole sections of keyframes have? And can I just select the frames affecting the arm after baking?

Sorry if my questions are too basic.

- Baking puts a key on every frame.
- Deleting a whole section is only useful if you replace what was there with something hand keyframed.

Here is a screenshot of baking an aniBlock and then selecting just the arm keys.  I am about to hit that X button.
The second screenshot show after I deleted the keys and I have created a new(very simple) animation for the arms. the two keys selected on the arms are what makes him put his arm forward.  It has a great zombie look.

Of course the same things could be done in aniMate2, but some people prefer traditional keyframing.

Image Attachments
a.jpgb.jpg

Posted: 14 December 2012 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  326
Joined  2005-10-02

Thanks for your screenshots, I’ll have a play with the timelines tomorrow.

Of course the same things could be done in aniMate2, but some people prefer traditional keyframing.

Which leads me to wonder what are the advantages? Would you repeat the observation that Keymate is only of interest to someone wishing to create a whole new animation from scratch?

I guess it could be used to create non-mocap animations and save them as aniblocks, right?

Posted: 14 December 2012 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  188
Joined  2012-07-26

I agree with Brian C. Morris.  This is a great step in the right direction but in addition to linear & constant we definitely at least need to be able to set each key to slow or fast for this to be taken seriously, even for beginner animation. A curve editor with custom tangent handles would be excellent! 

AniMate2 is a great tool and it has a graph/curve editor but I don’t see a way to set the keys to fast or slow there either or even linear.  I could create extra keys and drag them around to emulate the proper motion but it is sloppy and time consuming compared to the standard way of setting keys fast or slow. AniMate2 can import keys from the DS timeline (thus KeyMate) into aniBlocks with proper keys & spacing.  The only problem is that I think it can only export back 1 key on every frame (not original key spacing), unless I’m missing something? So you can go from KeyMate to AniMate2 but not the other way around without converting it to 1 key per frame, which is limiting. 

I also wanted to note that since I installed the updated version (not released yet) I have not had 1 crash. 

Signature 

Swawa3D.com | email | twitter | YouTube animations
Galleries:  deviantART | facebook | Google+ | DAZ Gallery

Posted: 14 December 2012 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-04-10
marble - 14 December 2012 10:48 AM

Thanks for your screenshots, I’ll have a play with the timelines tomorrow.

Which leads me to wonder what are the advantages? Would you repeat the observation that Keymate is only of interest to someone wishing to create a whole new animation from scratch?

I guess it could be used to create non-mocap animations and save them as aniblocks, right?

It really comes down to preference.  I am giving my opinion on what I see as the right tool for the right job.  Others will feel differently and it would be different for them.  If someone is familiar with traditional keyframing, they are going to want that.  If you are wanting to learn to animate things from scratch.  I think it is considerably easier with keyMate.

Posted: 14 December 2012 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  326
Joined  2005-10-02

If, as was mentioned, further development and features are forthcoming, I’ll be happy to have the tool in my box of tricks smile I’m not very experienced with animation so learning to create using the keyframe method will be good - all I can say is that the standard DS timeline is very frustrating.

Posted: 14 December 2012 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  293
Joined  2005-08-25
Brian C Morris - 14 December 2012 02:32 AM

Key mate looks like a good start, but…

I would also like to see more control over interpolation: ease in, ease out, fast in & out,

And a solid curve editor is really needed!

example: If you take a look a the bouncing ball animation (which is a standard “first animation exercise”) that is done in the getting started video here- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX_knWUBOGk
You can see that it is not really a “bouncing ball” but just a sphere moving up and down.  A bouncing ball will have correct interpolation on the keys (fast in and out on the “hit ground” keys and ease in and out on the “in air” keys)

Once again it’s a nice try but without further development KeyMate is only half way there and does not fill the huge gap in the animation tools of Daz Studio. It’s a pity since I have been waiting for years to introduce Daz Studio to my animation class and still can’t recommend it even for beginning animators.

Why is a good curve editor/key frame editor in Daz Studio so hard to implement? It’s a standard tool in any 3d animation package even other free ones like Blender. I would pay twice the price for KeyMate if it solved this problem.

I agree with all above, it is just a good start… but to do good and easy animation (without waste to many time) some important features are still missing. that’s why the developer really have take a look and play around with motionbuilder, you will understand more.
you can download a trial student version with a 1 year license.
i’ll wait to see hopefully more of this plugin, probably i have to wait until ds5, so be it.
i pay around $100 or more price if this can be a real animtors daz solution plugin.
(included with working kinematis)

Signature 

DAZSTUDIO FUTURE REQUESTS - CLICK ME TO JOIN
Feel free to join, sign and vote for dazstudio future improvements.
(620 users and still counting up to 1000) would like to see improvements, and you?

What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Posted: 14 December 2012 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2010-03-19
Go_Figure - 14 December 2012 09:33 AM

Sceneario 4) Use keyMate to create animations from scratch.  Create an aniBlock from the Studio Keys you just created.  Tip: always save before you do this.

I’m run into an issue. After animating an object with KeyMate, the keyframes themselves do not retain their interpolation change when I make the animation an AniBlock. Am I doing something wrong?

Signature 

—Artman009
http://cautiouslyoptimisticfilmmaking.blogspot.com/

Posted: 14 December 2012 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-04-10
Artman009 - 14 December 2012 02:32 PM
Go_Figure - 14 December 2012 09:33 AM

Sceneario 4) Use keyMate to create animations from scratch.  Create an aniBlock from the Studio Keys you just created.  Tip: always save before you do this.

I’m run into an issue. After animating an object with KeyMate, the keyframes themselves do not retain their interpolation change when I make the animation an AniBlock. Am I doing something wrong?

You are not.

keyMate works on the Studio keys. 

aniMate2 is an entirely different animation system.  On big difference is that it only supports an automatic non overshooting cubic spline. You will need to do some tweaking(add some keys) in the graph editor in aniMate to get it to be the same. 

The other big difference is that aniMate does quaternion interpolation.  This is sometimes good and sometimes not good.  The not good: If the rotation values between two keys is over 180 degrees, it will rotate the other ways.  So 0 degrees to 270 degrees, in Studio it will interpolate 0 to 270.  In aniMate it will effectively interpolate 0 to -90(which is equivalent to 270).

A better conversion from Studio to aniMate is probably in order,  one that handles the differences automatically

Posted: 14 December 2012 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2010-03-19
Go_Figure - 14 December 2012 02:42 PM

You are not.

aniMate2 is an entirely different animation system.  On big difference is that it only supports an automatic non overshooting cubic spline. You will need to do some tweaking(add some keys) in the graph editor in aniMate to get it to be the same. 

The other big difference is that aniMate does quaternion interpolation.  This is sometimes good and sometimes not good.  The not good: If the rotation values between two keys is over 180 degrees, it will rotate the other ways.  So 0 degrees to 270 degrees, in Studio it will interpolate 0 to 270.  In aniMate it will effectively interpolate 0 to -90(which is equivalent to 270).

Thanks for replying so quickly. It’s unfortunately to hear that I was not overlooking a setting or a feature.

A better conversion from Studio to aniMate is probably in order,  one that handles the differences automatically

OK but this there any chance of this happening anytime soon? Say AniMate 3?

I cannot tell you how wonderful it is an animator to be able to collect a series of keyframes, group them together as a solid animation block, and then be able to shrink, stretch and break them up. This is the very reason why AniMate is an absolute must-have plug-in for DAZ Studio animators. However, because of the limitations you mentioned above, it and the KeyMate plug-in are severely hobbled in their functionality. I implore GoFigure to correct this. Please.

Signature 

—Artman009
http://cautiouslyoptimisticfilmmaking.blogspot.com/

Posted: 14 December 2012 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-04-10
Artman009 - 14 December 2012 03:01 PM

You are not.
OK but this there any chance of this happening anytime soon? Say AniMate 3?

I cannot tell you how wonderful it is an animator to be able to collect a series of keyframes, group them together as a solid animation block, and then be able to shrink, stretch and break them up. This is the very reason why AniMate is an absolute must-have plug-in for DAZ Studio animators. However, because of the limitations you mentioned above, it and the KeyMate plug-in are severely hobbled in their functionality. I implore GoFigure to correct this. Please.

I am sure it can be refined in aniMate2. 

To manually do some thing that will be somewhat close,  Save your scene, then go an do a set key before and after each of your current keys.  That will be somewhat close.

Posted: 14 December 2012 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  160
Joined  2006-10-28

[

I think this is what stumps me. I like to do dancing characters. If I start a turn, say from frame 0 to 30 the character turns half-way, and then, from frame 31 to60 I want the character to complete the turn, I get the character turning back the other way instead of completing a 360-degree turn.

Also, what I’m hoping keyMate can help with is this: if fame 0 to 30 I want the character to put her hand on her hip; for frames 31 to 60, I want the hand to remain on the hip; for frames 61 to 90, I want the hand raised over her head. But, when I run the animation, the movement gets blended in to one continuous progression.

Can keyMate help with these things? (I bought it; I’ll be trying it.) I’d be grateful for tutorials that would show how to accomplish these things.

(I also have aniMate 2 and some aniBlocks, by the way.)

Posted: 14 December 2012 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  162
Joined  2006-05-14
inquire - 14 December 2012 04:32 PM

Also, what I’m hoping keyMate can help with is this: if fame 0 to 30 I want the character to put her hand on her hip; for frames 31 to 60, I want the hand to remain on the hip; for frames 61 to 90, I want the hand raised over her head. But, when I run the animation, the movement gets blended in to one continuous progression.

0-30 place hand on hip

keyframe on 0 of hand off hip
keyframe on 30 hand on hip.

The computer will create tweens (in-between frames) for 1-29 of the movement.

31- 60

copy keyframe 30 to keyframe 60

When the computer creates tweens, the tweens will keep the hand in the same position. (It sounds like you are missing this “hold in place” keyframe.)

61-90

keyframe on 90 of hand raised over head.

The computer will create tweens for raising the hand.

It is important to realise that places with no keyframes will have tweens. So places with no keyframes will take reference from the previous keyframe and the next keyframe.

Note - you may also have to change the interpolation of the keyframe 30-60 to Linear. The graphed line created by the keyframes above, is a spline, which isn’t good at keeping a straight line. Straight lines on a graph mean no movement of the joint, whereas curved lines will show some movement of the joint.

Posted: 14 December 2012 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  160
Joined  2006-10-28

Thank you very much for this into, camite. I’m saving it out as a file to keep. Any info on how to get a character to do a 360-degree turn and not start back in the opposite direction?

Posted: 14 December 2012 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  162
Joined  2006-05-14

You mean in aniMate2? I’m just experimenting here. Try this, which may get you started.

Create a new blank aniBlock.

Frame 0, on the Parameters tab, move the yRotate slider (creates a keyframe), and then set it back to 0.
Frame 10, in Parameters move the yRotate slider to 90.
Frame 20, in Parameters move the yRotate slider to 180.
Frame 30 (1 sec 0), in Parameters move the yRotate slider to 270.
Frame 40 (1 sec 10), in Parameters move the yRotate slider to 0.

The figure should rotate. You can add aniBlocks either side of this block and it still rotates.

Of course that was a very simple example, and when you add complexity to it, things go wrong.

[edit - darn I always get the images in the wrong place]
The third image shows what the graph looks like from doing the above.
The second image shows a new keyframe added on frame 25 by clicking the +key. The figure now does not rotate any more
The first image shows an adjusted graph where the figure does turn now.

The principle is always the same, as explained in the previous post - block in keyframes far apart, and add keyframes to make hold positions or fine adjustments where the tweening does not work. Look at the graphed movement to see exactly what is happening. With 360 degree turns, you might have to have a lot of keyframes to hold that turn.

(The dance spin aniBlock shows a good turn.)

Ammon may have a better explanation and tip - I tend to just play around unscientifically with things until they are right.

Also, there is a potential problem at the end of the aniBlock when the figure’s hip Y rotation is more/less than a certain number, which I think is about 27 degrees (Ammon, correct me here!). To make smooth aniBlock blending, the figure will do an automatic turn, if an aniBlock follows this aniBlock. This is great for blending aniBlocks with cornering, but not so great if you are hand animating and not expecting it.

Image Attachments
Screen_Shot_2012-12-15_at_9.46_.39_AM_.pngScreen_Shot_2012-12-15_at_9.46_.26_AM_.pngScreen_Shot_2012-12-15_at_9.45_.00_AM_.png

5 of 10