Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Weirdly named installation files
Posted: 12 December 2012 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  581
Joined  2009-02-04

Although its rather minor, I also must agree that I personally prefer it when PAs dont use Vendor named folders. Even if you do remember the vendors name, IMO its just an extra folder you dont really need, it breaks consistency and slows you down a tiny bit, (hardly the end of the world though).

BUT! (and in defence of PAs that still do this) I think it comes from the old standard that was often used in poser runtimes, as Ive noticed that PAs who have been around the longest, tend to be the ones who do vendor named folders the most. So my theory is that they are (in there own way) being consistant with the way they have always done it in the past. I guess Its Daz who changed the standard with the /People/Genesis/Clothing path.
Still, there should probably be one standard that everyone should stick to though.

And yes, when people dont use any sort of conventional folder structure, that it can be truely infurating to have to go digging for something, - or have to move it to the correct path manually to tidy up.
I dont know how this gets past QA , Daz should really clamp down on it.

Signature 

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/dogz

Posted: 12 December 2012 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16014
Joined  2003-10-09

I have found similar problems with vendors from other sites.  One set I just installed, from a well known vendor, the main folder for everything was just named “props” Very descriptive.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 12 December 2012 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1029
Joined  2003-10-09

re vendor names: It depends I guess.

They’re useful in runtimes (geometries and textures) for reference if you think you’ve lost something. And in libraries if the product is in zip files they’re fine for me too because I change the structure as I install. I append the vendor name when I create the main product folder and it helps to have it right there in the zip for reference otherwise I have to, er, read the readme.

But if you just install as the vendor intends, or install a DAZ .exe with metadata so that you really can’t change anything, it’s a PITA to browse your content.

I do, on the other hand, have a handful of folders that contain everything I have from a specific vendor (Stonemason, Luthbel, Antfarm, Nursoda, Flink) but that is the exception.

Posted: 12 December 2012 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1615
Joined  2012-01-04

This is an example of why I am doing it the way described earlier in the thread. I can find content with such ease.

Image Attachments
Hair_Category_Example.jpg
 Signature 

Old Post Count: Maybe 3 or 4.
O/S: Windows 7x64
D/S: 4.6.0.18

Posted: 12 December 2012 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1796
Joined  2005-12-31

you absolutely have to customize installation or it A: installs in a bad place and you have to search for it and reinstall it anyway, and B: so it doesn’t install yet another shortcut and other redundant items.

The redundant items are just that. They only install once no matter how many times you run a non customized install. I stopped un-checking that long ago.  And I let everything install in my library and they don’t install into bad places for me. I do have to reinstall sometimes but it is hardly the fault of a vendor that I’m getting old and can’t remember the name of something or where the readme I read a year ago said the files would be. If anything really drives me nuts I just change the name/move it via studio since it is easy to do it in there. 

To the vendors who put your name on everything as if it will make me buy more from you…. FYI… it won’t. It makes me remember you as the ANNOYING VENDOR WHO MAKES ME JUMP THROUGH HOOPS TO FIND YOUR CONTENT AND MUST REMEMBER TO THINK TWICE WHEN I BUY..

I’m sorry you find some of us so irritating. But in some cases it can lead to much less mess. If for example anyone had all of our shader sets they would have 30+ sets under our name. And yes some people do have a large volume of our shader presets. Rather than have that many spread out among scores of others that you have to scroll through they can click folders and get a smaller “chunk” to look at at once. Sometimes it is easier to have a few of those vendor folders to click on than trying to see everything as you scroll through 100+ options to find something. I know how hard it is to locate a set in a group that big because I have nearly that many in my Calida folder alone due to work in progress sets and private use files. It isn’t done because of an expectation of convincing you to buy something but because it is an organizational tool.

I agree that there are some things that end up with whacked names. But that also isn’t entirely the content creators fault. It is not unheard of to have them suggest that there be a new name selected. And depending on when that happens naming may not get changed correctly. I recently had to change the product name on something myself and there is a file in there that I can not actually change the name of post production so it just has to stay that way. As far as I can tell the name change thing most commonly happens with PA products DAZ buys and then perhaps sits on for a while. Then they have a “vision” change well after the product went through QA and they miss the internal name changes.

2 of 2