Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Going crazy. :/
Posted: 11 December 2012 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2003-10-09

Okay, since I got no joy with 4.0 (Crashing constantly) I thought I’ll give 4.5 a shot on a new machine.
Same issue.
I get 15 mins—and kerboom. It just quits.
It doesn’t seem to matter what I do, it just quits without an error message.
The last version I got to work was 3.x, and even that had “issues”.
No extra plugins, nada. It doesn’t seem to matter whether I try poking around with genesis, or a non genesis model.
Figure or prop - it quits on me.
I get no error messages. Digging around, I found an exception which didn’t have any description. (Very helpful…)
Windows 7 Pro, 64bit
Tons of RAM, tons of disk space (several TB’s), hefty graphics card, i7 processor.

Any ideas?
I have a few more days to try before my content purchases go over the 30 days. If I can’t get 4.5 to work I’ll have to return the stuff, as I won’t be able to use it. (The horse.)

I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled. I’ve redownloaded and reinstalled. No change. It just quits.
Any suggestions?

Posted: 11 December 2012 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1308
Joined  2006-03-14

You need to check both your daz studio log file and your system application log for hints as to what is happening.

Remember you need to check the daz studio log file before restarting DS.  To do so, go to start and type “%appdata%” in the search box.  This will bring up Windows Explorer in the AppData\Roaming directory.  From there go to DAZ 3D > Studio4 and look for “log.txt”.  Post the last 15-20 lines prior to the crash.

For your application log to to start and enter eventvwr.msc in the search box.  Then go to Windows Logs > Application.  Look back a few events and see if you can find something related to DAZ Studio.

Signature 

My Tutorials and Freebies Index

Posted: 11 December 2012 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2673
Joined  2011-12-10

Just a thought, do you have a virus protection program running?  Sometimes those cause nasty conflicts.  I do know that when I’m rendering, Flash is not very happy…

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 11 December 2012 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1518
Joined  2010-03-15

I’ve had similar issues, which is why I sill use DS3.

Signature 

Aidana WillowRaven
website: http://WillowRaven.weebly.com ~ blog: http://willowraven-illustration.blogspot.com/
I ask for so little. Just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your slave.

Posted: 11 December 2012 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  559
Joined  2009-04-14

I’ve kept the last half-dozen or so releases of DS 4/4.5, and the only version I’m able to keep running on my machine (Win7 64-bit, i3 dual-core, 6 GB RAM) for any length of time is DAZ Studio Pro BETA (4.5.0.137). The newer updates run until I load something (say, a figure or prop), and seconds after the item loads, they crash out, exactly like you’re experiencing. On the other hand, the newer v1.9 installer for Genesis works with this older beta.

Posted: 11 December 2012 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-14

To those posting similar problems, the same query as to the OP is necessary if you wish resolution.  Log information and/or crash data is required to try and solve the problem. smile

Signature 

Posted: 11 December 2012 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15815
Joined  2003-10-09
Sarsifus - 11 December 2012 03:16 PM

I’ve kept the last half-dozen or so releases of DS 4/4.5, and the only version I’m able to keep running on my machine (Win7 64-bit, i3 dual-core, 6 GB RAM) for any length of time is DAZ Studio Pro BETA (4.5.0.137). The newer updates run until I load something (say, a figure or prop), and seconds after the item loads, they crash out, exactly like you’re experiencing. On the other hand, the newer v1.9 installer for Genesis works with this older beta.

What options do you have set under Edit>Preferences>Interface>OpenGL?

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 11 December 2012 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-04-14
Richard Haseltine - 11 December 2012 03:59 PM
Sarsifus - 11 December 2012 03:16 PM

What options do you have set under Edit>Preferences>Interface>OpenGL?

It’s a fairly low-end one-year-old Dell laptop with an Intel integrated video chipset, so it’s nothing fancy. Here’s what comes up when I click on the “Current Hardware Features” tab (for DAZ Studio Pro BETA 4.5.0.137):

Current OpenGL Version:
3.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2827

OpenGL Provider:
Intel

Hardware:
Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

Features:

MultiTexturing
Supported

Shadow Map
Supported

Hardware Antialiasing
Supported

OpenGL Shading Language
Supported

Pixel Buffer
Supported

Pixel Buffer Size
1024 x 1024

Maximum Number of Lights

Number of Texture Units

Maximum Texture Size
8192 x 8192

I’ve run several different versions of DS 4 or 4.5 on it, and they all look way better and run faster than the copy of Poser Pro 2012 I borrowed for comparison purposes. Like I said, the last two versions of DS 4.5 ( DAZ Studio Pro BETA 4.5.1.41 and DAZ Studio 4.5.1.6) run until I load content into the scene, and as soon as the item finishes loading, DS immediately crashes out to the desktop.

Image Attachments
OpenGL_Settings_01.jpg

Posted: 11 December 2012 10:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4524
Joined  2007-09-13
Sarsifus - 11 December 2012 10:05 PM

Current OpenGL Version:

OpenGL Provider:
Intel

Hardware:

The bold IS your problem…

Is this a laptop?

If not, then get a real video card…Intel’s OpenGL implementation is flaky, at best.

If it’s a laptop…play driver roulette.  Try back versions (2 or 3 back) up to and including the latest version for your chipset.  If your hardware is capable of it (isn’t some unusual screen resolution or special features) then maybe trying the ‘reference drivers’...DO NOT, under any circumstances, use any that may come through Windows Update.  Try seeing what your laptop manufacturer supplies first.  Some are pretty good about keeping current with Intel releases.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 11 December 2012 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-04-14
mjc1016 - 11 December 2012 10:37 PM

Current OpenGL Version:

OpenGL Provider:
Intel

Hardware:

Is this a laptop?

If not, then get a real video card…Intel’s OpenGL implementation is flaky, at best.

If it’s a laptop…play driver roulette.  Try back versions (2 or 3 back) up to and including the latest version for your chipset.  If your hardware is capable of it (isn’t some unusual screen resolution or special features) then maybe trying the ‘reference drivers’...DO NOT, under any circumstances, use any that may come through Windows Update.  Try seeing what your laptop manufacturer supplies first.  Some are pretty good about keeping current with Intel releases.

Like I said, it’s a one-year-old Dell laptop—replacing the integrated Intel video chipset is NOT an option. I’ve already updated the video driver at least twice (the last time about two months ago) with drivers downloaded directly from Intel. I agree with you: I’m not impressed with Intel’s handling of OpenGL, either, but DAZ Studio Pro BETA (4.5.0.137) and Poser Pro 2012 (I forget which version exactly, since I uninstalled it) both run just fine under it, while the two newer versions of DS crash constantly. Should there be enough of a difference from one version of DS4.5 to the next that this would become an issue?

Posted: 12 December 2012 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13

doubled…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 12 December 2012 12:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13
Sarsifus - 11 December 2012 11:53 PM
mjc1016 - 11 December 2012 10:37 PM

Current OpenGL Version:

OpenGL Provider:
Intel

Hardware:

Is this a laptop?

Like I said, it’s a one-year-old Dell laptop—replacing the integrated Intel video chipset is NOT an option. I’ve already updated the video driver at least twice (the last time about two months ago) with drivers downloaded directly from Intel. I agree with you: I’m not impressed with Intel’s handling of OpenGL, either, but DAZ Studio Pro BETA (4.5.0.137) and Poser Pro 2012 (I forget which version exactly, since I uninstalled it) both run just fine under it, while the two newer versions of DS crash constantly. Should there be enough of a difference from one version of DS4.5 to the next that this would become an issue?

There was a change with 4.5.1.6 that makes it much more picky about OpenGL…basically, if OpenGL isn’t working right, DS won’t, either. 

You are probably crashing when the progress bar hits 100%, right before the dialog box disappears, right? 

There’s a chance, not a big one, but a chance that you could use the 32 bit version with out crashing…but then you’d lose the ability to use all your RAM (DS32 won’t be able to use more than 4 GB).

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 12 December 2012 12:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-04-14

Actually, what seems to trigger the crash is—immediately after the selected content loads into the scene—if I don’t do anything (and I mean ANYTHING), the crash isn’t immediate. The moment I try to manipulate anything or select a tool, BOOM! Down she goes. The comment about 4.5.1.6 and the change(s) DAZ made to how DS handles OpenGL is great—that just occurred to me, and I was just about to dive into the threads about it to see what I could find about it.

Posted: 12 December 2012 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-14
Sarsifus - 12 December 2012 12:48 AM

Actually, what seems to trigger the crash is—immediately after the selected content loads into the scene—if I don’t do anything (and I mean ANYTHING), the crash isn’t immediate. The moment I try to manipulate anything or select a tool, BOOM! Down she goes. The comment about 4.5.1.6 and the change(s) DAZ made to how DS handles OpenGL is great—that just occurred to me, and I was just about to dive into the threads about it to see what I could find about it.

Bring up your task manager.

Watch the list for “tdlmake.exe”.  Once all of those are gone out of the list, try your manipulation.  If that doesn’t do it, change your OpenGL slider from max quality to performance.  A crash detail report is still needed to properly diagnose the issue.  Otherwise we’re just shooting in the dark.

Signature 

Posted: 12 December 2012 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-04-14
adamr001 - 12 December 2012 07:46 AM
Sarsifus - 12 December 2012 12:48 AM

Bring up your task manager.

Watch the list for “tdlmake.exe”.  Once all of those are gone out of the list, try your manipulation.  If that doesn’t do it, change your OpenGL slider from max quality to performance.  A crash detail report is still needed to properly diagnose the issue.  Otherwise we’re just shooting in the dark.

Hey, thank you for the advice. I was actually just commiserating with the original poster about DAZ Studio crashing—I didn’t mean to turn this into a conversation about ME. Actually, right now, I have DAZ Studio Pro BETA 4.5.0.137 installed, and it’s doing everything I need it to do - -the crashes I was experiencing were all with the newer versions. I will bookmark this conversation, and when the next update arrives, I will definitely apply this information if it behaves similarly. From what I’m reading, it sounds like a change was made to the way DS handles OpenGL? I’d like to know more about this, please. Thanks…

Posted: 12 December 2012 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-14

I’d have to go back through the changelogs to dig them out but they were performance related.  Another option is to try and turn Display Optimization Off.

Signature 

1 of 3