Posted: 09 December 2012 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2945
Joined  2011-12-10

http://www.ShareCG.com/v/66213/view/21/DAZ-Studio/wc-Black-Skin
These are V4 UVS… just so y’all know smile

CURRENT MATERIALS FILES:
http://www.ShareCG.com/v/66225/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Skin-Material-for-Black-and-White-Skin-(DS4.5)

I’d post this in freebies, but that’s not the purpose of creating these textures.

I created them so that those of us who are interested in getting good renders with dark skinned characters can learn how to get… well, good renders with dark skinned characters…

My own materials have proven inadequate.

Now, these are not the best of textures… that’s fine.  The goal is to make the textures look good in spite of their poor quality.  HOWEVER, if you feel the need to take these textures and make them better… be my guest! smile

I am starting from a baseline of my own materials: available here:
http://www.ShareCG.com/v/66181/view/21/DAZ-Studio/WC-SSS-Materials-for-Genesis-D|S4.5

these settings suck for African skin.  If you have a better baseline, would love to hear from you.

OH, and so there is NOOOO confusion.  These textures are my own made with merchant resources that are distributed free from MCDLabs on ShareCG and Biscuits on R.com… I, however, made the eyebrows by hand!  So, don’t anyone try and claim I stole these.

Image Attachments
wc_black_skin_tmb.jpg
 Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 10 December 2012 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  624
Joined  2007-12-04

Interesting concept.  Love that you’re getting others involved.  Silly question though, was the skin for M4/V4/Genesis?  Will load it up and have a look later today if I have a chance.

I don’t know how much of a difference it makes, but I remember hearing on the Oprah show that they used orange or pink tinged lights.  That may be something to get started.

Signature 

Follow me on facebook, check out my website or find my freebies here.
Don’t forget to have a look at The Wizard’s Library, my multi-figure Daz scene.

Posted: 10 December 2012 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

Sorry bout that: it’s V4UVS.  It’s the most readily available, and those are the MRs I used, so that’s what we have smile

I’m playing with this atm using the interjection, which uses UberSurface (not Human Surface)... I’ll put up the results.

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 10 December 2012 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

I just stumbled into this… it looks… well you can see how it looks… tell me if this looks okay?

I think it’s the DAZ African Morphs… yah… that’s gotta be it… it’s just the morphs…
Link Deleted

ADDED: Basically, I screwed up.  The SSS Materials were NOT enabled for the skin surfaces.  HUH?  When I finally realized it eight people had already downloaded the material preset… and I’m feeling like an idiot… anyway, not SSS… but it does look kinda good, right?

Image Attachments
isthisit.jpg
 Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 10 December 2012 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

Okay, someone actually contacted me and said these look halfway decent. so I have uploaded the material preset designed to work with the texture.

http://www.ShareCG.com/v/66222/view/21/DAZ-Studio/WC-African-Skin-Materials

Please read the text carefully, I did not include a readme.  It’s all on that page.

You will also need:
http://www.ShareCG.com/v/66213/view/21/DAZ-Studio/wc-Black-Skin
and
http://www.ShareCG.com/v/65921/view/21/DAZ-Studio/fast-render-light-set-with-UE2-and-Light-Target

Drop the textures into My Library/People/Genesis/Materials/wancow/WC Skin/
Drop the Materials Preset file anywhere in a Materials folder you like so you can find it.
The lights are a scene file.

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 10 December 2012 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2009-08-28

Hi Wancow, The thing with skin is the colour varies between individuals so there is very little right and wrong if the colour is “human” and the texture aligns with the figure.

Having said the above, massive differences can be achieved with lights. I started to play with this skin texture last night, with and without the SSS shaders and all without lights. I used the texture in the diffuse color and displacement map areas in DAZ 4.5.

Today I am also playing with the light preset you uploaded. I have two pictures, using your texture and SSS shaders. One with the lights, one without just to show the difference a light can make. Apologies for the dodgy spun dial face on Genesis..

Posted: 10 December 2012 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-08-28

With Wancow’s light preset.

Image Attachments
with_lights.jpg

Posted: 10 December 2012 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-08-28

Without lights

Image Attachments
without_lights.jpg

Posted: 10 December 2012 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-08-28

Here’s one with a single spotlight set to “active view”. no colour change to the light.

Image Attachments
Spotlight-active-view.jpg

Posted: 10 December 2012 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

http://www.ShareCG.com/v/66225/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Skin-Material-for-Black-and-White-Skin-(DS4.5)

Okay… so here’s the deal.

I have deleted the previous set.  If you want to get the exact same results as I have in the image above, use the same set I’m now linking to, and turn off SSS for everything from Lips to Toenails… so basically, I screwed up.

DRUC, welcome to the conversation!  And thank you very much for participating.

Here’s where we’re at.  The link above gives you two material presets and a Ray Trace Shadow Light Set.  It’s basically the same as the other light set with the intensity dialed down by 2/5ths and Ray Trace Shadows enabled.

The two material presets: they are not the same with different textures.

THe Caucasian uses a texture for colour on SSS, the African does not.

Anyway… please everyone, WHEN you tweek these, please list the tweeks!

Image Attachments
blacknwhite2.jpgblacknwhite3.jpg
 Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 10 December 2012 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10
druc - 10 December 2012 09:05 PM

Hi Wancow, The thing with skin is the colour varies between individuals so there is very little right and wrong if the colour is “human” and the texture aligns with the figure.

Having said the above, massive differences can be achieved with lights. I started to play with this skin texture last night, with and without the SSS shaders and all without lights. I used the texture in the diffuse color and displacement map areas in DAZ 4.5.

Today I am also playing with the light preset you uploaded. I have two pictures, using your texture and SSS shaders. One with the lights, one without just to show the difference a light can make. Apologies for the dodgy spun dial face on Genesis..

The problem with using lights is this; When you pose a black person and a white person in the same scene: coloured lights will affect one more than the other… so an orange light will make the white person look like a Tangerine skinned alien.  Unfortunate, but true…. fortunately, we live in the 3D Universe, where anything is possible.

No need for appologizing for any morphs used… we’re all about skin colours here smile  Don’t care how ugly or fugly or stunningly beautiful any of the characters are… just want good skin on them smile

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 10 December 2012 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  606
Joined  2012-02-07

Sorry for the delay in participation.  My internet has been…uncooperative.  Hadn’t had to put up with that for a while.

Anyways, lights can have a pretty massive affect on skin tones though it’s not impossible to get them to cooperate.  I’ll have to mess with those later but for now I did two renders that took longer than expected to complete.  The materials aren’t wancow’s but rather from some of RecieCup’s characters since that’s actually my go-to when a texture looks weird or I want to “fix” a Poser only freebie.  It’s also what I use on the promos for my freebie characters.  The thing that stands out the most to me isn’t the skin as a whole but rather the palms/soles and the nails.  While the amount varies per person, generally the palms of the hands and the soles of the feet have more contrast compared to the rest of the skin.  The main thing is making sure the tones are different but the transition is smooth and natural as opposed to a hard line.

Image Attachments
WC_Dark_1.jpgWC_Dark_2.jpg
 Signature 

Black is Beautiful II - a repository of links and rendering tips for darker skinned characters

Posted: 10 December 2012 11:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

I hear you on the palms and soles issue… I promise, when this project is done, I’ll work on a decent texture that will have decent palms and soles… and lips…

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 11 December 2012 12:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-07

I just may have had an epiphany.  It’ll have to wait for tomorrow for proper testing.

Signature 

Black is Beautiful II - a repository of links and rendering tips for darker skinned characters

Posted: 11 December 2012 12:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

make sure you write it down or something… smile

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 11 December 2012 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-07

Attempting to ask around about something…

Signature 

1 of 2