The Bullet plugin that I know of (on ShareCG) seems to have been abandoned. Is there another project you’re talking about? Is there any information anywhere on the spec? I’d be quite interested in helping to beta test, if there’s a live project out there. Especially if the team is interested in usability testing, as well as just bug/crash reporting.
Edited to add: I was asked in a PM for more information about how I think such a plugin should work. As I described earlier in the thread, I think this project needs to combine some of the ease of use that was implemented with Optitex with actually being able to drape ordinary geometry. So the plugin would need to be able to:
- Allow the user to see a list of geometry in the scene
- Select an object to drape
- Select collision object(s)
- Extract the conformed and morphed geometry from the scene (the same way OBJ export or MorphLoader does), along with collision geometry
- Run the softbody physics simulation, with gravity and wind options if possible
- Bring the draped geometry back into the scene as a morph to the original item, and dial the morph,
- Possibly even allowing the user to tie that morph to joint or other morph positions—I don’t know if it’s possible to have a morph driven by a combination of other morphs? But even if the drape can only be dependent on one joint or morph control, it would still be a good way to help clothing designers, increasing the utility of the plugin.
All the pieces ought to be there to help this work. It would combine the best features of the existing DS and Poser solutions. The resulting drape could still be combined with smoothing modifiers in DS, the morph could be saved out for re-use, etc. It wouldn’t be fast enough or convenient enough for animation, I suspect, but I’m not convinced any solution in this price range is likely to be able to provide full cloth simulation for animation.