Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Connecting New Content into DAZ Studio 4 Pro so program “sees” it..Please Help-thank you
Posted: 03 June 2012 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2012-05-17

I recently purchased some new content (poses, materials, etc) from a web site called, renderotica.com. (I’m using Windows & it’s a 64 bit system).
Originally I was graciously advised by Wendy to, “copy the folder called runtime and paste it in my Daz studio content folder under library in documents usually…”
I see several folders, however, with DAZ Studio 4 content & I’m confused as to where to copy these runtime folders to.
There is the Program Files folder, Program Files (x86) & then there is the original files created after I unzipped the original zip file for DAZ Studio 4 Pro.
I did not see a “content folder” or a “library” folder in either DAZ folders under in the Program Files or Program Files (x86) folders. So, I just pasted the runtime folders in the DAZ Studio4 under both Program File folders. I had two different runtime folders, so I renamed the second one “runtime 2” before I pasted it. Maybe that wasn’t necessary, but I figured it would not hurt. I pasted these runtime folders in each DAZ Studio4 folder under both Program folders (Program Files & Program Files (x86)).
When I opened DAZ Studio, however, I could not see the new content in any of the menu categories.

Am I totally way off course here? Am I close? I thought I was, but I don’t know what else I can try.

Posted: 03 June 2012 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  202
Joined  2006-04-15

You should only have one runtime folder. Every time you unpack a zip to install content, you’ll find ‘runtime’ and a bunch of stuff under it. Your OS is smart enough to merge that with the existing runtime, if you drop it into the ‘content’ directory. If you install stuff to ‘runtime2’ or whatever, there’s a good chance Studio will either not see it, or not load it correctly if it does see it.

I’m still running DS3, but my structure looks like: [programs]/DAZ3D/Studio/content/runtime

You might want to wait for someone who’s running DS4 to point out the default path for it, because I think it may have completely changed.

Signature 

“Why’s all the rum gone?”  *looks at the last render*  “Oh. That’s why the rum’s gone…”
DAZ Studio 3.1.2.32 | Windows 7 Pro SP1 x32 | ATI Radeon HD 4200
Say YES to David 5!

Posted: 03 June 2012 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  2004-08-24

HI

ALL of the Daz Studio “Content” goes into your “My Documents / Daz3D / Studio / My Library” folder
NO “content” should be placed into your Program files or Program files (x86) folders.
Inside the “My Library” folder,.. you;ll find a “Runtime” folder.
Unzip y new content to this folder, or Unzip it into a New folder on your desktop,. then check the contents of that, and drag the contents into your My Library / Runtime folder. (Make sure you don’t create another Runtime folder, within the main Runtime folder)

Delete any content from the program files folders.
Unzip your new content into your My Documents / Daz3D / Studio / My Library
Hope it helps smile

Posted: 03 June 2012 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2012-05-17
ThinMick - 03 June 2012 11:06 AM

You should only have one runtime folder. Every time you unpack a zip to install content, you’ll find ‘runtime’ and a bunch of stuff under it. Your OS is smart enough to merge that with the existing runtime, if you drop it into the ‘content’ directory. If you install stuff to ‘runtime2’ or whatever, there’s a good chance Studio will either not see it, or not load it correctly if it does see it.

I’m still running DS3, but my structure looks like: [programs]/DAZ3D/Studio/content/runtime

You might want to wait for someone who’s running DS4 to point out the default path for it, because I think it may have completely changed.

Thank You. I appreciate your help

Posted: 03 June 2012 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2012-05-17
3DAGE - 03 June 2012 11:10 AM

HI

ALL of the Daz Studio “Content” goes into your “My Documents / Daz3D / Studio / My Library” folder
NO “content” should be placed into your Program files or Program files (x86) folders.
Inside the “My Library” folder,.. you;ll find a “Runtime” folder.
Unzip y new content to this folder, or Unzip it into a New folder on your desktop,. then check the contents of that, and drag the contents into your My Library / Runtime folder. (Make sure you don’t create another Runtime folder, within the main Runtime folder)

Delete any content from the program files folders.
Unzip your new content into your My Documents / Daz3D / Studio / My Library
Hope it helps smile

Ah-ha! That helps greatly. COOL!!! Thank you loads smile

Posted: 03 June 2012 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2012-05-17

Actually my Library folder goes: Documents / My Documents / DAZ 3D / Studio / Render Library (instead of MY Library).

Nothing was under Render Library yet, so I unzipped my new content folder & had it placed in the Render Library.

This created a Runtime folder.

The second content package, I copied & pasted the contents within this newly created Runtime folder.

That should do it, right? smile

Posted: 03 June 2012 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  987
Joined  2012-01-29
TrainGy2010 - 03 June 2012 11:45 AM

Actually my Library folder goes: Documents / My Documents / DAZ 3D / Studio / Render Library (instead of MY Library).

Nothing was under Render Library yet, so I unzipped my new content folder & had it placed in the Render Library.

This created a Runtime folder.

The second content package, I copied & pasted the contents within this newly created Runtime folder.

That should do it, right? smile

No no. Render Library is where your renders (= pictures you made using DAZ) will be stored. It is empty because you did no renders yet. There should be a My Library folder, in the same folder as Render Library ( .../ DAZ 3D / Studio / My Library). Create My Library folder, then copy & paste that runtime folder into it. I am a bit startled that you do not have My Library folder. DAZ Studio 4 comes with some content (like Genesis) after all and that content should be in My Library folder.

Posted: 03 June 2012 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  2004-08-24

HI TrainGy2010 smile

No,. that’s not right.
you should have a folder called “My Library” (this is created automatically when you install Daz Studio 4, and it’s the default location for all of your content and also includes the “Default content” that comes with Daz Studio4. ...So, it should be there.

The “Render Library” is a folder for saved images you render in Daz Studio. ...It’s NOT a “content” Library.

Posted: 03 June 2012 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13441
Joined  2003-10-09

If you don’t have the My Library folder it most likely means you changed the defaults when you installed DAZ Studio. Go to Edit>Preferences>Content Library and click the button at the bottom, Content Directory Manager…. Under Current Directories you should have a line erading DAZ Studio Formats with a + next to it - click the +. Now, what folders do you have listed there?

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 03 June 2012 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2012-05-17
Richard Haseltine - 03 June 2012 12:10 PM

If you don’t have the My Library folder it most likely means you changed the defaults when you installed DAZ Studio. Go to Edit>Preferences>Content Library and click the button at the bottom, Content Directory Manager…. Under Current Directories you should have a line erading DAZ Studio Formats with a + next to it - click the +. Now, what folders do you have listed there?

Just one:

C:/Kens Stuff/New Folder (2)/New Folder

Posted: 03 June 2012 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  987
Joined  2012-01-29
TrainGy2010 - 03 June 2012 05:26 PM

Just one:

Then this should be where DAZ Studio is going to look for installed content in your case (your equivalent of the My Library default folder). I would first check if you have DAZ content installed in there. If yes, and if you can see the items when you open DAZ Studio as well (for example Genesis loads and some basic clothes for it etc.), then it should be fine and this folder should be the one in which you must put the runtime with your purchased items. Look if you have a folder called “runtime” there. If yes, put your purchased things there as already explained before.

Posted: 03 June 2012 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2012-05-17
Proxima Shining - 03 June 2012 05:46 PM

Just one:

Then this should be where DAZ Studio is going to look for installed content in your case (your equivalent of the My Library default folder). I would first check if you have DAZ content installed in there. If yes, and if you can see the items when you open DAZ Studio as well (for example Genesis loads and some basic clothes for it etc.), then it should be fine and this folder should be the one in which you must put the runtime with your purchased items. Look if you have a folder called “runtime” there. If yes, put your purchased things there as already explained before.

COOL! I DO have a runtime there, so I will load my stuff there. I’m so happy!!! Thank You so very much:) Have an awesome evening

Posted: 04 June 2012 12:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16430
Joined  2009-01-22

I do not wish to be a pain BUT, TrainGy2010 with your custom install of DS4 and the content path not being the DEFAULT path I just want you to know this. ALL the installers you download will need to be pointed to your CUSTOM content path for them to install properly. All Daz exe’s will need to be pointed to your content folder. All Zips will need to be pointed to the same folder also.

If you do not wish to have that problem I would install all your content to a default DS4 folder. Just my two cents. It will be easier to move things after you learn how it all installs.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 04 June 2012 02:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2012-05-17
Jaderail - 04 June 2012 12:23 AM

I do not wish to be a pain BUT, TrainGy2010 with your custom install of DS4 and the content path not being the DEFAULT path I just want you to know this. ALL the installers you download will need to be pointed to your CUSTOM content path for them to install properly. All Daz exe’s will need to be pointed to your content folder. All Zips will need to be pointed to the same folder also.

If you do not wish to have that problem I would install all your content to a default DS4 folder. Just my two cents. It will be easier to move things after you learn how it all installs.

So, I guess the two installs I got from the DAZ site, 12992_GenesisEvolutionHeadMorphs_1.4_trx &
12994_GenesisEvolutionBodyMorphs_1.3_trx need to be put in the custom content path. Under runtime?

Posted: 04 June 2012 02:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16430
Joined  2009-01-22

Nope. The way I see it your content path for DAZ items is the folder above Runtime. That is one reason to not do custom install’s. DAZ content need’s to be in My Library and the Poser content need’s to be in the Runtime under My Library.

Untill you understand the differance a STANDARD install path is the best. The Installers are made for it and will default to it. No Opp’s will happen just because you did not install properly.

BIG EDIT Let me be very blunt. The Program DS is not going to change but you will learn how to change it and then do wonderful pictures with it. The only thing that can change at your will is the content. You can put it any place your system can find it as long as you tell the program DS to find the content where you put it. That is great. But if you never learn HOW the content installes in the default folders you will never understand how the files should be set up. That will lead to you buying items that never work properly because you installed them wrong to start with. That gets old very fast.

I never modified my DAZ Studio untill I had used it for over a year. I still messed up after that. As a new user I strongly suggest a DEFAULT install of DS and all the content. Once you learn how the DAZ and Poser file systems work then you modify. Not before.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 04 June 2012 02:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2012-05-17
TrainGy2010 - 03 June 2012 05:55 PM
Proxima Shining - 03 June 2012 05:46 PM

Just one:

COOL! I DO have a runtime there, so I will load my stuff there. I’m so happy!!! Thank You so very much:) Have an awesome evening

So, I’ve done all this, but when & where do I start seeing the new contents listed in DAZ? The quick reference shows a menu tag called, “My Stuff” on the left side. I don’t have that. Is there something else I need to do to get at my new contents?

1 of 2