Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Anybody worried about melting a CPU on a Very Very Long Render?
Posted: 07 December 2012 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2011-11-01

I have some animation clips to render.
Using a year old gateway i7 win 7 Pro.
I see my CPU is pretty much pegged at 100%. This render is about 15 hours.
Anybody ever worry about overheating or burning out a CPU.
The longest one I’ve done so far is about 5 hours.

Would love to do a render farm, but I am running Carrara 8.1, and with my purchase I only
got Carrara 8.5 render nodes. I’ve contacted Daz support about this issue a few days ago
and still haven’t gotten a response.
Am I just being to nervous?
Thanks

Posted: 07 December 2012 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  217
Joined  2007-03-03

Either:
1:  you should have both 8.1 and 8.5 nodes
or
2:  you can use the 8.5 nodes

As to your meltdown question:  not really.  Unless you turned the option off in your CMOS settings, most processors have a heat limit and will shut down once they reach it to prevent damage.  Also, if your processor is already running at 100% for 5 hours, it’s hit the highest temp it’s going to get to (most likely).  If you’re interested, there are several apps your can download that will show your processor’s current temp so you can monitor it.

That being said, on my older computer, I forced a shutdown on it a few times, but that was more often from gaming than rendering.

Signature 

-Kodiak3d

“I wonder what tomorrow has in mind for me, or am I even in its mind at all?”
- “Crystal Ball” by Styx

Posted: 07 December 2012 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7657
Joined  2009-07-13

the longest I have ever rendered was 48 hours at 100% using Carrrara, but that was an animation.
I hear people here talk about doing a single frame for 3 or more days.
Incidently my computer was only as warm as it would be after an hour, the main thing is to shut it down and unplug it, take of the side off the tower and blow it out inside regulary with a can of compressed air as it is stunning how much dust gets sucked into the blighter.
I have 3 cats and the smell of fur heating on my graphics card is a dead giveaway it is time to clean the computer again.

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 07 December 2012 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5424
Joined  2006-08-27
wendy♥catz - 07 December 2012 09:53 PM

the longest I have ever rendered was 48 hours at 100% using Carrrara, but that was an animation.
I hear people here talk about doing a single frame for 3 or more days.
Incidently my computer was only as warm as it would be after an hour, the main thing is to shut it down and unplug it, take of the side off the tower and blow it out inside regulary with a can of compressed air as it is stunning how much dust gets sucked into the blighter.
I have 3 cats and the smell of fur heating on my graphics card is a dead giveaway it is time to clean the computer again.

You let your cats sleep on your graphics card?!? shock  wink

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 07 December 2012 10:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  631
Joined  2010-09-22

MY longest render on 2 machine was 5 days!  I used ice!

Posted: 07 December 2012 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-09-22

I clean out my machines about every 3 months! Take out all the parts I can! Every fan I can and clean them! I am anal that way! until recently when I would blow out some areas I smelled this slight perfume smell and could never put my finger on it. So this last summer I was pouring in more kitty litter into the BOX that is about 10 feet away from my machines and it raised some dust! SAME SMELL!

ANd that would answer to GREY color of the dust I was blowing out!

I would also share I use to work at a few SCREEN printers that used what is know as SPRAY TACH! a Aerosol Adhesive to make the shirts stick to the plat tents!

At one place I was about 12 feet from the printer in the same room. When i would go home I could feel it on my skin! His computer kept dying every year of so!

I opened one up one day and it was a complete CLUSTER F**K! ONE solid mass of Dust FUZZ and spray tach

Posted: 08 December 2012 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

My wife has cats and they do come in the computer room, but the rule is: No cat box in the computer room! I’m surrounded by active farm fields and live on a gravel road, so I get a lot  of dust, especially in the spring and summer when the windows are open

Signature 

Posted: 08 December 2012 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  239
Joined  2006-01-21

Hi, all good advice here.

A hoover nozzle works wonders on the power supply intake too.

Just to add to what Kodiak said, If your CPU is still at a reasonable temperature after 5 hours then you should be OK for 24, but the hotter a CPU runs the less life it will have (in years or months).
Any steps you can take to keep both the case and CPU cooler will help your system as a unit and if you then choose to sacrifice life for power (now there’s an often used plot) you can look at overclocking.

Signature 

http://roguepilot.deviantart.com/
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RoguePilot
http://www.ShareCG.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=RoguePilot

Posted: 08 December 2012 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0
RoguePilot - 08 December 2012 12:44 PM

you then choose to sacrifice life for power (now there’s an often used plot).

grin

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 08 December 2012 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  433
Joined  2012-04-01

CPU’s has temperature protection built in, they simply downclock until the temp gets goes down, worst case they completely shutdown and you get a crash, but no toasted chips.

You can also run OCCT, a good stability test tool I use to verify overclocking, if a 1h test run completes there, there is no problem in any other software…
http://www.ocbase.com/

Signature 

Everything about Carrara: http://www.carraracafe.com/

Posted: 08 December 2012 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1387
Joined  2011-01-03

In addition to physical damage, it is possible for a too-hot chip to trigger a blue-screen in Windows (or whatever the equivalent is on a Mac) or access violation crash. The excessive heat can actually cause bits stored in the CPU registers (very tiny but ultra fast memory on the chip) to “flip.” A 1 becomes a 0 or vice-versa.

It is very rare but possible for this to happen to a new CPU too—not temperature caused, but manufacturing defect. Fortunately, chip makers are pretty darn good at testing their stuff…

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 08 December 2012 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2011-11-01

Yeah
I had a crash at 21 hours have no idea why.
File size on harddrive is about 1.4 gig, It started the next file in the batch cue but crashed on that a few seconds in.
Because quicktime is involved I’m running 32 bit. How much faster is a 64 bit render?
I’ve split the two very big renders in half. See if that helps. These are animation files that run about 1.5 minutes of 1920x1080 hd.
I’ll see.

Posted: 08 December 2012 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  335
Joined  2007-07-31

here is a handy free utility I use which reports cpu temp among other things about your system

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Windows only though

Signature 

http://bond3d.wix.com/carrarators#!home/mainPage

Posted: 08 December 2012 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  239
Joined  2006-01-21
8068 - 08 December 2012 03:52 PM

Yeah
I had a crash at 21 hours have no idea why.
File size on harddrive is about 1.4 gig, It started the next file in the batch cue but crashed on that a few seconds in.
Because quicktime is involved I’m running 32 bit. How much faster is a 64 bit render?
I’ve split the two very big renders in half. See if that helps. These are animation files that run about 1.5 minutes of 1920x1080 hd.
I’ll see.

64 bit won’t have a big impact on speed (might be some from better memory management). What it will do is allow memory intensive scenes to be handled better, or even at all, and can lead to less crashing by itself.

Of course it may be something else that’s caused the crash.

There’s been arguments about whether Carrara keeps an animation file in memory while rendering, whether Carrara keeps loading the file appending and then re-closing it or if there are memory leaks (I’ve no solid opinion on that either way), so it always makes sense to render as an image sequence anyway.

Signature 

http://roguepilot.deviantart.com/
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RoguePilot
http://www.ShareCG.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=RoguePilot

Posted: 08 December 2012 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-09-22
evilproducer - 08 December 2012 09:17 AM

My wife has cats and they do come in the computer room, but the rule is: No cat box in the computer room! I’m surrounded by active farm fields and live on a gravel road, so I get a lot  of dust, especially in the spring and summer when the windows are open

One would think SOMEONE would come up with some sort of air filter for our machines OR some of the EXPENSIVE ones IE PRO MACs would have such a devise

Posted: 08 December 2012 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

As RoguePilot suggested, render to an image sequence, especially if it’s a large render with many frames. If Carrara should crash, you can render from the point it crashed at and not lose anything. If you need alphas, then render to png.

Signature 

1 of 2