Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
How to clone a horse
Posted: 08 December 2012 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2760
Joined  2007-12-25

After a lot of fiddling and trial-and-error, I ended up angling the D-Former a bit, and narrowing the width (x axis) to pull in the sides a bit.

Image Attachments
H2ChargerClone025.png
 Signature 

Shop Zigraphix @ DAZ3D

Posted: 08 December 2012 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-25

Also, although I had previously used the scale controls to increase the Y axis on the abdomen, I ended up setting that back to 100% because it interfered with the D-Former, and I liked how the D-Former looked better.

Next I worked on the belly/groin area. This also took some tweaking, and I ended up reducing the x-axis of the field quite a bit to avoid distorting the legs.

Image Attachments
H2ChargerClone030.pngH2ChargerClone031.png
 Signature 

Shop Zigraphix @ DAZ3D

Posted: 08 December 2012 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-25

Even though D-Formers are attached to the root node and can cross body part boundaries, you’ll often find them easier to control if you don’t try to do too much with a single D-Former. I found that I really needed separate ones for the chest and belly.

The last thing I did today was make the rump bigger, overall, but then nudge in the “hips” a bit.

Then I had to duplicate the work on the other side of the body. I used “copy selected items” and “paste to selected items” to get the parts of the D-Former into the same position as the one on the right, then reversed the x-trans and z-rotation to move them to the left side.

More later—I need to go make supper! smile

Image Attachments
H2ChargerClone032.pngH2ChargerClone033.pngH2ChargerClone034.png
 Signature 

Shop Zigraphix @ DAZ3D

Posted: 08 December 2012 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-25

Ok. I exported the altered beastie as an obj, brought it back in as a morph, did the Freeze ERC thing with the appropriate pose, but I’m having some scaling and translation problems with the final result.

Here’s the result now…. with just a bit of cheating. Namely, I loaded the saddle and bridle, fit them to Horse 2, chose the clone Charger, let the refit happen… and then unfit the saddle and bridle and translated and scaled the horsie to get them back on to the horse. The saddle fit is much better than just repositioning the saddle: the green version is the refit saddle, the pink is the original. The bridle, not so much.

So I’m not going to be posting the process until I manage to figure out what I’m doing wrong here. A couple of things have changed in DS 4.5 about how clones are handled, and I didn’t have translation concerns with my previous clone attempts. But I’ll get it figured out… eventually. wink

Image Attachments
attempted_fit_comparison.jpg
 Signature 

Shop Zigraphix @ DAZ3D

Posted: 09 December 2012 12:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1127
Joined  2005-03-26

Will these techniques work for human shapes to Genesis, too?  (I’m thinking Sixus1’s Behemoth, HER, and Scrum, just to start with…)

Signature 

My dA gallery
For God’s sake!  Gallifrey Stands!

And God still reigns.

Posted: 09 December 2012 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15721
Joined  2003-10-09

Why did you do an ERC freeze? A clone shape shouldn’t adjust the rigging, as far as I know, but should simply reshape the mesh. If you did adjust the rigging to the new shape that may in part account for your problems with the converted items.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 09 December 2012 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-25
Eustace Scrubb - 09 December 2012 12:44 AM

Will these techniques work for human shapes to Genesis, too?  (I’m thinking Sixus1’s Behemoth, HER, and Scrum, just to start with…)

Yes. You want the same number of arms and legs, and remember that a clone shape and AutoFit will convert the confirming item to use the Genesis rigging, so if there were extra bones in the other figure, you’re not going to still have them when the conformer converts to Genesis.

Also, if you’re thinking of making an actual shape to replicate a non-Genesis figure to use in a render, unless you are the creator, you won’t be able to distribute it. The likeness of an original character belongs to the creator.

Signature 

Shop Zigraphix @ DAZ3D

Posted: 30 December 2012 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12540
Joined  2007-11-06

...fascinating.  Considering doing the same with the original Mavka so I can use the older figure’s clothing & props with the Genesis version as I have a fairly decent investment in the original character.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 30 December 2012 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4727
Joined  2004-08-11

There should be a link for this in Nuts-N-Bolts forum!

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

DAZ Studio 4 Frequently Asked Questions

Posted: 10 April 2013 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2008-09-17

so is the obj you save and imported as a morph the clone?
can that be used in the auto fit?
im looking to make a clone for autofit .

Signature 

www.bloodyrosesdesigns.com
The Aldara Project

Posted: 11 April 2013 07:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Yes, import as a morph and set it’s type to Modifier/Clone

Signature 

Posted: 11 April 2013 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2008-09-17

thanks
ss

Signature 

www.bloodyrosesdesigns.com
The Aldara Project

Posted: 12 April 2013 12:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-25
Richard Haseltine - 09 December 2012 08:49 AM

Why did you do an ERC freeze? A clone shape shouldn’t adjust the rigging, as far as I know, but should simply reshape the mesh. If you did adjust the rigging to the new shape that may in part account for your problems with the converted items.

I don’t know how I missed this post before. I should get back to this project now that I’m done teaching my double section of stats….

Signature 

Shop Zigraphix @ DAZ3D

Posted: 09 July 2013 05:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2009-02-15

I came to this thread to learn how to make a clone and instead I am being told how to make a copy. I know how to make a copy.
Assuming I have the perfect copy, so I can make a morph. How do I proceed so I can pick this alternative from the autofit popping up list?
And above all how do I delete it from the autofit list if I may want that.

?

Posted: 09 July 2013 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Richard Haseltine - 11 April 2013 07:38 AM

Yes, import as a morph and set it’s type to Modifier/Clone

See above - you do this on import or by clicking the gear on the parameter’s slider to get to the settings dialogue.

Signature 

2 of 3