Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Couple of questions about scenes and renders
Posted: 07 December 2012 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  660
Joined  2008-02-22

Is carrara capable of making hi-definition images that can be used in Poser for backgrounds?  If so, how about equirectangular style images for use in an Env Sphere?

Also, is it OK to offere for freebie, a preset scene that you make in Carrara, if you do not give any of the assets (if that is possible)?

If so, has anyone made a beach scene?

Thanks!

Signature 

+800 or so old forum posts, just so you know I’m not a newb!  tongue laugh

Posted: 07 December 2012 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0

Use a sphere cam and set your output render to a ratio of 2:1. Like 4000x2000 or even higher.

I don’t under stand the question. Are you talking about giving away a Carrara scene or a rendered background?

There are a few beach scenes in the native content I believe…

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 07 December 2012 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-22

Yea, sorry, giving away a Carrara scene file that is already made.  So for example, if I made a nice mountain or beach or other scene using Carrara assets, saving the scene, and giving away the scene file as a freebie. (i.e. they need Carrara to load it)

(ill try the sphere cam here, and see how it works, thanks)

Signature 

Posted: 07 December 2012 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
3doutlaw - 07 December 2012 09:13 AM

Yea, sorry, giving away a Carrara scene file that is already made.  So for example, if I made a nice mountain or beach or other scene using Carrara assets, saving the scene, and giving away the scene file as a freebie. (i.e. they need Carrara to load it)

If you are not using anyone else’s models or textures…., just using Carrara tools like terrain, plants, skies, or your own models/textures then you can give away the whole scene as a freebie. There use to be a Carrara Freebies forum…. You can also check ShareCG to see what Carrara freebies are usually given away….

Signature 

Posted: 07 December 2012 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-22

Thanks Holly smile

Signature 

Posted: 07 December 2012 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-22

OK, so those Spreical images come out a little distorted on an Env Sphere…?  Is that for a Dome or a Sphere?

(unless my Zoom and distance to near plane settings are wrong…not sure about those)

Compare attached carrara photo to this photo:  Equirectangular beach

The linked one has two swells, versus the single lump, if you will

Image Attachments
sphere_sample.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 07 December 2012 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
3doutlaw - 07 December 2012 04:02 PM

OK, so those Spreical images come out a little distorted on an Env Sphere…?  Is that for a Dome or a Sphere?

(unless my Zoom and distance to near plane settings are wrong…not sure about those)

Compare attached carrara photo to this photo:  Equirectangular beach

The linked one has two swells, versus the single lump, if you will

Without knowing the available options (haven’t touched Carrara in a very long time…and never did get that far into it), I’d say it’s likely, just by looking at the way it’s distorting.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 07 December 2012 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1194
Joined  2005-04-12

It looks to me that your spherical camera is not quite horizontal.  Check the “motion” parameters tab and make sure that your camera points to the horizon with an X rotation of 90 degrees exactly and zero for the other two rotations (or is it -90 - one or the other!) and see if that works.

Posted: 07 December 2012 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5734
Joined  2006-08-27

The OP keeps asking about equirectangular. Not sure if Carrara does that. I know it does spherical renders, as I’ve done a couple myself for backgrounds.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 07 December 2012 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-22

For the Spherical renders, what did you apply them to?  I am trying to apply them to the inside of a large sphere (Bagginsbill’s Environment Sphere to be exact).  Then I make the ground plane a shadow catcher and ta-da!

Anyway, here is where his Sphere is at, but it call for Equirectangular…which seems to be different than the “spherical” that Carrara is producing.

Signature 

Posted: 07 December 2012 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5734
Joined  2006-08-27
3doutlaw - 07 December 2012 10:02 PM

For the Spherical renders, what did you apply them to?  I am trying to apply them to the inside of a large sphere (Bagginsbill’s Environment Sphere to be exact).  Then I make the ground plane a shadow catcher and ta-da!

Anyway, here is where his Sphere is at, but it call for Equirectangular…which seems to be different than the “spherical” that Carrara is producing.

Ugh! Sounds overly complicated and maybe unnecessary. You can create a sphere primitive or create a vertex sphere and use that for your image map/shader, and then scale the sphere to whatever size you want. If you want IBL lighting, like an HDRI, then you can put an image, HDRI, color, color gradient, etc. in Carrara’s Scene background, and it will wrap it around the virtual universe, then turn on Skylight under GI in the render room and done.

Here’s a spherical render I made in Carrara 7.2 Pro. It uses Dystopia City Blocks and some customized shaders. Try it in the scene’s background. For extra fun, use it as an IBL by turning Skylight on. I also have a daylight version with a sucky mountain in the background.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/64485/view/6/Texture/Spherical-Dystopia-night-with-clouds

http://www.sharecg.com/v/51297/gallery/6/Texture/Dystopia-Spherical-background-image-map

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 07 December 2012 11:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-22

Yea, see those 2 spherical renders you made there are correct.  I am not getting the same?

Other than an OBJ boat in there, its all Carrara 7.2 pro.  I got a background sky map

Here is the basic setup I have.

Image Attachments
carrara1.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 07 December 2012 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-22

...and here is the render.  Its nothing like the spherical type you have there in your sharecg stuff.  I must be missing something.  ????

Image Attachments
Doc1.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 07 December 2012 11:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-22

OK, I may have found the problem.  My focal length on my camera was set to like 75, and it should have been around 15mm or so.  This may be workin.

Signature 

Posted: 08 December 2012 01:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0

The trick to this is to place your spherecam at the same height as the camera in the other scene. That way their “eyes” match and the ground planes will line up.

If you are making a 360 for viewing (as if through the character’s eyes) then the camera should be at about 5 ft high (or a little less seems to be the average tv show camera height…).

The results of this render, the 2:1 image you have posted is called Equirectangular. This image is ready to wrap onto a sphere. In Carrara you can load it as the Background.

Signature 

Posted: 08 December 2012 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-22
holly wetcircuit - 08 December 2012 01:40 AM

The trick to this is to place your spherecam at the same height as the camera in the other scene. That way their “eyes” match and the ground planes will line up.

If you are making a 360 for viewing (as if through the character’s eyes) then the camera should be at about 5 ft high (or a little less seems to be the average tv show camera height…).

The results of this render, the 2:1 image you have posted is called Equirectangular. This image is ready to wrap onto a sphere. In Carrara you can load it as the Background.

OK, I’ll try that on the next one.  I just switched to a large non-spherical render and dropped it in as a background via postwork instead, since I could not get it to work properly.  (result)

Thanks for the tip!

Signature 

1 of 2