Digital Art Zone

12 of 12
* CLOSED* RRRR Sayings contest ( $150 in Prizes)
Posted: 31 December 2012 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 166 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  964
Joined  2008-04-29

Thanks, Totte, MelanieL, ShanarahPSU, gopherus, and Ken OBanion. I really appreciate to comments and I agree with Zawarkal, MelanieL and barbult, that it’s great that people take the time to comment on this forum. That is half the fun. It is going to be very hard to vote.

Zawarkal #4 I don’t know what happened there, but it look disastrous, Nicely done.
JK0011 #3 A beautiful composition, nice light and colors
gopherus #4 That’s really strange and very nicely put together.
Ken OBanion #7 I love the poses and expressions. Even the horse looks like he has somethings to say.
Zawarkal #05 LOL, That is really nuts! I love it!
Totte #7 You can’t see the forest for the trees A very beautiful and odd, surreal,  composition. Beautiful lighting.
MelanieL #3 You seem to pull as many birds as I do. I like this one. It is simple and charming
MelanieL #4 A wonderful performing Xerr! I love the poses in this one, especially the audience.
MelanieL #5 Maybe she can bedazzle them with her feathers. LOL
BlumBlumShub Nice action! For me it would have been better (since you asked for constructive criticism) if you had put some light on the dragonfly or done something to bring it forward more.  Don’t forget to post to the other thread and add Tag#.
Kem Obannion Good one! So where is the damn bird? (I like that timesphere, will have to see if it still available at ShareCG.)
emsim #1 Nice one! I love the hatters with the white building and shuttle and blue sky.

Signature 

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club
My deviantART gallery: http://lucia45.deviantart.com/

Posted: 01 January 2013 06:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 167 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  773
Joined  2009-08-21

I thought I’d take a few to pick up on the later submissions that have come in since my last round of ‘comments and observations’.  Yeah, let’s call them that…!

Zawarkal
#5 (“Don’t bring a blade to a poop fight”) This one is just delightfully strange, with all that steampunk aerial combat going on (and the pacifier is a perfect touch!) Good action, keeps the eye moving.

Although I’m a bit puzzled by this sudden rash of scatological humor - donkey-poop, fart jokes, peepee dances…. Did I not get a memo, or something?  Whatever….

Totte
#7 (“You can’t see the forest for the trees”) This one has a lot going for it, an air of surreality being right at the top of the list! The atmospherics are very well done, and your Space Dweller figure appears almost translucent, downright ethereal. Eerie! But in a good way! (But what the hell is that purple thing, that looks like a disembodied heart with a mouth, yelling at Space Dweller?)

MelanieL
#3 (“A bird in the hand….”) A very nice arrangement, good colors and story. You seem to have a particular gift for medeival-era scenes - a talent for capturing the nuances of everyday life. (Memories of a past life, perhaps?) Very nice work!
#4 (“You can’t teach an old dog new tricks”) The attention to detail in this one is simply astonishing - not just the usual elements of color, lighting (and shadows), but the number of characters in the scene, every one of which is uniquely posed. Very impressive work!
#5 (“It’s not what you wear….”) This one works on so many levels! Excellent blocking and choreography (and no, I’m not being ironic!): the background, the temple set-piece, the costumes and props, and the juxtaposition of colors all combine to direct the eye relentlessly toward… a big honkin’ splash of silly! Well played! An excellent piece of work!

BlumBlumShub
#1 (“Chasing the dragon(fly)”) This is simply charming; it has a certain ‘Blue Lagoon” innocence that I find almost irresistable! Glad you could make it to the party!

emsim
#1 (“Always remember you’re unique….”) An excellent illustration of the Saying, with great use of color, contrast and posing. (I spent a lot of time staring at the patches on the costumes, looking for some tiny variation - but nope; the Saying is inescapably true!) Nice work!

So, I guess that brings up to date. Great work, everybody! These things are always a ton of fun, and this one was certainly no exception. Not only was it a blast to play, but seeing so many marvelously-warped imaginations at work is just a great thrill! Congratulations, everyone; win, lose or draw, you’ve all done some really impressive work! I can scarcely wait for the next one!

(Oh, and Luci - the bird is silhouetted against a patch of snow, just above the cowboy hat! And yes, the Timesphere is still there; I checked before I posted, to get the artist’s name, so that I could make sure I gave proper credit!)

Signature 

Rule #1: Don’t sweat the nickel stuff.
Rule #2: It’s ALL nickel stuff.

My DeviantArt gallery: obanionk0530

“Interfere?  Of course we should interfere!  Always do what you’re best at, that’s what I say!” - Doctor Who

Posted: 01 January 2013 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 168 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6137
Joined  2005-08-29

@Ken, it’s a Beholder (but the DAZ figure as another name). Any D&D player will shiver i fear seeing it.

And now, this contest is closed!

Signature 

=============================================
My DAZ Gallery  | The adventures of Lomund
Free RPG adventures for DnD, O:FR and more: http://4eyes.code66.se
Community Volunteer

I always look on the bright side of life, ‘cause I never expected the Spanish inquisition!

Posted: 01 January 2013 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 169 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  666
Joined  2010-02-25

Thank you Ken, MelanieL and Totte for the Comments.
And a Happy New Year to everyone grin

Signature 

My renders on deviantART http://rendersas.deviantart.com/

Posted: 01 January 2013 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 170 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  998
Joined  2007-04-08

Wow, thank you for the kind words, guys, I wasn’t expecting much in the way of praise to be honest, let alone comments like “Simply charming”.  You’ve made my day.

@Luci45:  I completely agree about the dragonfly, but I left it a bit late before I decided to enter the contest so I kind of broke my own rules and posted the first render!  Usually I render, tweak, render, tweak, get grumpy, render, tweak, kick a passing old lady, render, and eventually post!

Thanks again, and good luck to all entrants,
Barry.

Signature 

You’re never too old for metaballs!  ~Michael Frank

Posted: 01 January 2013 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 171 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  897
Joined  2010-05-08

ShanarahPSU, Luci45, and Ken OBanion, thank you all for the comments.

I agree this was a fun contest and I will be watching for more like this one in the future.

Signature 

IF is the Life of Matter ~ UTO

Posted: 01 January 2013 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 172 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-08-21

Oh, trust us, Zawarkal, there will be more.  We can’t help ourselves!

(I even do the ‘random’ thing on my own; it’s a great way to ‘touch a cattle-prod to the muse’s ass’, and I’ve done some really memorable renders that way - with not a single prospect of a prize! It just works!)

Signature 

“Interfere?  Of course we should interfere!  Always do what you’re best at, that’s what I say!” - Doctor Who

Posted: 01 January 2013 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 173 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2010-01-23

Final catchup:
emsim “Always remember you’re unique…” - I do like your balancing hatters!

Thanks to Luci and Ken for your recent comments.
I don’t know about a past life, Ken, but I’ve always been a bit of a history fan.

Signature 

Posted: 01 January 2013 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 174 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-08-21

I just wanted to say…

Happy New Year!

to everybody, and to offer my thanks for yet another great experience playing in the RRRR sandbox!  This is, has always been, and ever shall be, the most fun I’ve ever had without having to take a shower afterward!

And it’s not just the off-the-wall, Gibbs-smacking images; it’s the whole spirit of camaraderie that makes this such a unique experience, and keeps most of us coming back for more!

So, until next time…, it’s been real (and frequently un-), and I’m looking forward to seeing you all again real soon!

Signature 

Posted: 01 January 2013 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 175 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  964
Joined  2008-04-29
BlumBlumShub - 01 January 2013 02:23 PM

@Luci45:  I completely agree about the dragonfly, but I left it a bit late before I decided to enter the contest so I kind of broke my own rules and posted the first render!  Usually I render, tweak, render, tweak, get grumpy, render, tweak, kick a passing old lady, render, and eventually post!

Ken OBanion - 01 January 2013 06:56 PM

(I even do the ‘random’ thing on my own; it’s a great way to ‘touch a cattle-prod to the muse’s ass’, and I’ve done some really memorable renders that way - with not a single prospect of a prize! It just works!)

grin LOL wink The comments made here are sometimes as much fun as the renders! tongue wink LOL grin

Signature 

My deviantART gallery: http://lucia45.deviantart.com/

Posted: 02 January 2013 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 176 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2011-11-11

Some good entries this month. I feel bad that I didn’t get a chance to put together anything from my pull, I’d actually managed to come up with a concept but last month was a bit crazy for me, even with taking some time off for Christmas, so I just didn’t have the time to put it together.

Oh well, there’s always the next one.

Signature 

Andrew Dacey
Photographer
Geek

Posted: 02 January 2013 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 177 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  656
Joined  2011-02-03

Thanks for the kind words. This was my first RRRR contest and it was a blast even though I came in a little late.  It really gets the creative juices flowing (or maybe that’s my brain melting LOL ).

Great renders all the way around. I keep looking back through them and finding new things about each imagine that I missed the first time through.

Signature 

My DAZ Gallery http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/68
My deviantART http://kitashrak.deviantart.com/

Posted: 03 January 2013 03:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 178 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2006-02-12

Happy New Year to you all!

Thanks a lot for the comments. Hopefully I’ll be able to do more than one image next time…

Signature 

Me on DeviantArt: http://hoz3dart.deviantart.com/

Posted: 05 January 2013 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 179 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6137
Joined  2005-08-29

Vote here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/14626/

Signature 

=============================================
My DAZ Gallery  | The adventures of Lomund
Free RPG adventures for DnD, O:FR and more: http://4eyes.code66.se
Community Volunteer

I always look on the bright side of life, ‘cause I never expected the Spanish inquisition!

12 of 12