Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Stuck in “Preparing data” when loading a saved scene
Posted: 04 December 2012 02:19 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  547
Joined  0

Does this mean the scene is corrupt? Is there anyway around it? If I let it run will it eventually load the scene?

Signature 

Having trouble with clothing/props not showing in Daz 4.5? Take a look at this thread:

Thread in Nuts And Bolts forum

Posted: 04 December 2012 07:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1639
Joined  0
Riggswolfe - 04 December 2012 02:19 AM

Does this mean the scene is corrupt? Is there anyway around it? If I let it run will it eventually load the scene?

Yes, probably. :(
No, probably not.
Maybe, but if you are seeing the load bar stuck at a certain percentage, and hours later it is still on that percentage, give it up. I’ve had scenes that will eventually load, but stuck is stuck.

A few rules that are oft repeated here:
✓ Remove any extra shaders and unused objects from your file before saving (under the EDIT menu so they are purged from memory).
✓ Delete any stray temp files from your DAZTEMP folder on a regular basis.
✓Give your HDD plenty of breathing room. Backup and delete old large projects and defrag your hdd. Adobe recommends keeping 20GB free for Photoshop’s virtual memory, that number might be a little high for Carrara, but you *do* need lots of breathing room for virtual memory to maneuver.

These won’t recover your scene, but hopefully will help to prevent corrupted scenes in the future.

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 04 December 2012 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  0

Well the loading bar finishes but I see preparing data in the upper left corner where the Camera is. I’ll make a note of what you’ve said here. I hadn’t made huge progress on the project but I’d made enough that I wanted to pick up where I left off. Thank you Holly, for the reply.

Signature 

Having trouble with clothing/props not showing in Daz 4.5? Take a look at this thread:

Posted: 04 December 2012 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2007-12-02

one thing sometimes works if it is a compressed car file, rename the suffix to zip then unzip it
rename the suffix back to car
and try to open it - thanks to fenric for this tip

Posted: 05 December 2012 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  0

I tried this trick. Alas, it didn’t work for loading the scene though I did learn something new from it. smile

Signature 

Posted: 06 December 2012 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1825
Joined  2004-08-24

HI Riggswolfe smile

Q:  was your scene saved with the “Textured” Display mode, which could increase the scene loading time.

Q: What’s your Graphic card

Some times in Carrara,. there can appear to be noting happening,. so,. Hit Space bar, to see if anything happens.

If your Scene loads, (and you see the instance list) but nothing actually displays,. (if you have access to the move tools on the left)  then try moving the camera, or clicking an item in the Scene instance list.

hope that makes sense smile

Posted: 06 December 2012 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2007-10-15
Riggswolfe - 04 December 2012 02:19 AM

I’ve had this happen, and it pretty much locks up Carrara and never loads. Though I don’t think I’ve had it occur in the latest beta (could be wrong, it’s been a long time…), and never had it occur in 8.1. I think it just happened in some of the early 8.5 betas.

In any case, I’ve tried hitting escape, and just about everything I can think of, but nothing helps. Carrara locks up and you’re dead. I’ve had to go to Task Manager and kill the process.

Posted: 06 December 2012 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  0

Hey 3DAge,

I was looking at things in the textured mode when I saved it. Does that mean it saved in that mode too? I’m quite the newbie to Cararra.

My graphic card is an Nvidia GeForce GTX 580.

The scene loads and I do see the objects on the right side. However, in the upper left corner where it usually shows the camera name I’m currently using it says “Preparing Data…” and it never gets past that stage. I let it run overnight once and the next day it still said the same thing. :(

Signature 

Posted: 06 December 2012 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6075
Joined  2006-08-27

Can you click on anything in Carrara and get a reaction or is everything frozen?

Do any of these icons at the top of the Assembly Room window do anything (especially the circle with the up arrow)?

Image Attachments
Picture_1.png
 Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 06 December 2012 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  0

I went ahead and tried to reopen it. I can click on stuff including those icons. If I click on the up arrow I get the bottom part of an ok/cancel dialogue. Clicking on OK replaces “Preparing Data” with “Render failed.” I’ve included screen shots.You can see the ok/cancel box at the bottom right above the animation toolbar.

Image Attachments
Initial_Load.jpgAfter_clicking_Up_Arrow.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 06 December 2012 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  0

Good news. I installed the 8.5 beta update and it opened in that. I’m not sure what the difference was. I opened it and resaved it. I set the scene view on Gourad and unchecked ‘save preview’ and ‘compress file’.

I tested it and it still won’t load in 8.1 but it does load in the 8.5 beta. I wonder if there is some bug fix affecting that?

Signature 

Posted: 06 December 2012 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1825
Joined  2004-08-24

HI Riggswolfe smile

There will be some scenes which you can now create in the 8.5 beta, which won’t load the same,. or at all,. in C8.1

For example : anything with genesis. hmmm

But, there are other new features of the C8.5 beta, which will cause some issues in transferring to the (current retail release) of C8.1,... simply because the exist only in current Beta C8.5,

So, The ability to transfer scenes “Backwards” from newer version of a program will be less,... because of the different technology and functions which have been added to the newer version

Carrara will still have the ability to transfer older scenes, shaders, and objects, from C6, C7, or C8,. To C8.5

Going Forwards, is fine, but, Going Backwards,.. may not be   :(

In Carrara,
if you save your file,. try to save it from the Assembly room,. ..rather than from another room like the vertex modeller, or the shader room,
Also , .. try to close down any open shader pane’s and colour pane’s.

These are all being held in Memory while they’re open, and if you’ve been Changing, Swapping or generally adjusting things…
All of those adjustment are being held in an “Undo” list,..
so,.  for example,

If you load V4,. (from your Daz or Poser) Content Runtime,... and then you change the default skin, ..then change it to another skin,....
All of those are held in case you want to Undo.

The vertex modeller, has the ability to open several objects, and each modelling screen,. holds all the information for that model,. plus any undo..
So,. remember, before you close Carrara, and save the file..  .. close any modelling, or shaders,... the go to the assembly room, and use the “Remove unused” options,. since the will remove any Shaders, Models, etc which are “Not Currently Active” in the scene

one last thing,.. How are you loading figures,...?

You have entries like “BlMillMan_etc…

If you’re using the Carrara Content Browser to See, your Current DS or Poser stuff,. then you should see then loaded with their proper names EG: Michael 4,..Victoria 4 etc.

Hope it helps smile

Posted: 06 December 2012 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  238
Joined  2006-01-21
Riggswolfe - 06 December 2012 04:32 PM

Good news. I installed the 8.5 beta update and it opened in that. I’m not sure what the difference was. I opened it and resaved it. I set the scene view on Gourad and unchecked ‘save preview’ and ‘compress file’.

I tested it and it still won’t load in 8.1 but it does load in the 8.5 beta. I wonder if there is some bug fix affecting that?

So, was the original file produced in 8.5beta and you forgot about it?

That would be one possible explanation.

Feel free to call me out on this one if you never used 8.5 before this.

Signature 

http://roguepilot.deviantart.com/
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RoguePilot
http://www.ShareCG.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=RoguePilot

Posted: 06 December 2012 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  0

To answer your questions 3DAge and RoguePilot

1) The scene was created in Daz. I exported it as a Collada(?) then imported it into Cararra. I modified a lot of stuff like completely changing the clothing and pose for the figure as well as removing a couple of objects, moving the figure to a window and, of course, tweaking shaders, particularly on the M4 figure and the room he is in.

2) I did this in 8.1 and saved it from there. That’s why it didn’t even occur to me at first to try 8.5. The scene has no Genesis figures and was originally saved from 8.1.

Signature 

Posted: 06 December 2012 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6075
Joined  2006-08-27
Riggswolfe - 06 December 2012 06:06 PM

To answer your questions 3DAge and RoguePilot

1) The scene was created in Daz. I exported it as a Collada(?) then imported it into Cararra. I modified a lot of stuff like completely changing the clothing and pose for the figure as well as removing a couple of objects, moving the figure to a window and, of course, tweaking shaders, particularly on the M4 figure and the room he is in.

2) I did this in 8.1 and saved it from there. That’s why it didn’t even occur to me at first to try 8.5. The scene has no Genesis figures and was originally saved from 8.1.

If it’s a version 4 or earlier figure (M4, V4, M3, V3) etc. and you’re changing so much stuff anyway, it would probably be more efficient to load the figure from the Content Browser. You can load the figure, apply material files, load clothing, apply morphs and poses all from within Carrara. You’re still going to have to tweak shaders and such no matter your method of bringing them in, but the overall system overhead should be much less I would think as there would be no unnecessary file conversions.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 06 December 2012 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  0

The reason I didn’t do it that way is because it’s a “character” I created complete with specific morphs and stuff that I didn’t know if I’d be able to reliably replicate so I wanted to import him and do a fun render in Cararra with him.

And I posted the render I wanted this scene for over in the A New Hope render thread.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/221/P405/

Signature 

1 of 2