Digital Art Zone

10 of 11
WIP THREAD FOR NEW USERS CONTEST, December 2012
Posted: 31 December 2012 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 136 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3572
Joined  2012-02-06
Thanks, Szark. Sorry to hear that you haven't been well but I'm glad you are doing better.

Glad you're enjoying my image. Of course it's primarily comedic, but there's also a bit of a deeper message there that I hope people can see. smile I made a minor change (opacity of the fuzzy white layer under the text), decided it's done, and posted it to the contest thread.

I've actually been working on a second project for the past several days. I think I may be able to finish it tonight. Foreground rendered in DS, background in Bryce (can't claim to have composed this scene, but I did at least successfully install, load, and render it--which is as much as I've done with Bryce so far...I will make an effort to learn more in 2013).
Image Attachments
seasons2a.jpg
 Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 31 December 2012 06:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 137 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15970
Joined  2003-10-09
Yee hah I have tempted someone else into trying out Bryce. cool smirk

Nice one Scott.
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 31 December 2012 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 138 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  257
Joined  2011-02-17
Jaderail, Szark - Thanks.

Scott-Livingston - My first attempt was to shine different colored SPOTlights on the wings. Didn't work out too well.
But I like experimenting with Daz Studio to find out new things about the software.

And nice take on the modern photo Christmas card.
 Signature 

Daz Gallery

Posted: 31 December 2012 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 139 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  220
Joined  2012-03-27
Happy new 2013 year people. Wishing you lots of money, friends, love and above all health.

Their first Christmas eve
[ Edited: 31 December 2012 11:09 AM by Ilena52 ]
Image Attachments
decembar_takmicenje.jpg
 Signature 

In case you have some free time come see what’s displayed My deviantart gallerysmile
AD
“)

http://www.daz3d.com/media/3d/badges/images/badges/badge_10.png

Posted: 31 December 2012 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 140 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7682
Joined  2006-03-19
Last call. Everybody be sure to submit your images to the contest thread. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/12655/
 Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Mad Chemistry Lab*****  

Posted: 31 December 2012 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 141 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2955
Joined  2004-10-25
Scott-Livingston - 31 December 2012 05:59 AM
I've actually been working on a second project for the past several days. I think I may be able to finish it tonight. Foreground rendered in DS, background in Bryce (can't claim to have composed this scene, but I did at least successfully install, load, and render it--which is as much as I've done with Bryce so far...I will make an effort to learn more in 2013).

Well it's a lovely render Scott. I especially like the flower-shaped snow flurries. Nicely done sir! wink
 Signature 

OK . . . Where’s my chocolate?     Post Count —> 3,263 and growing!     Visit my Renderosity Gallery

It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts ~ John Wooden

Posted: 31 December 2012 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 142 ]
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2004-05-17
Thanks, Szark. Sorry to hear that you haven't been well but I'm glad you are doing better.

Glad you're enjoying my image. Of course it's primarily comedic, but there's also a bit of a deeper message there that I hope people can see. smile I made a minor change (opacity of the fuzzy white layer under the text), decided it's done, and posted it to the contest thread.

If you can somehow have the snow fairies layer cast a shadow onto the background it would make it look a bit better and help it look less like 2 images put together. I think a few of the imaging software type things have a drop shadow feature :D

Posted: 31 December 2012 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 143 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22
Security 16 - 31 December 2012 07:26 PM

If you can somehow have the snow fairies layer cast a shadow onto the background it would make it look a bit better and help it look less like 2 images put together. I think a few of the imaging software type things have a drop shadow feature :D
I disagree, to me they are high in the Air and the Shadows would be very week or totaly washed out if applied to the BG.

Nice to me as is.
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 31 December 2012 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 144 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-25
I have to agree with Jaderail in this instance. They're really too high up to cast any noticeable shadows.
 Signature 

OK . . . Where’s my chocolate?     Post Count —> 3,263 and growing!     Visit my Renderosity Gallery

Posted: 31 December 2012 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 145 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-06
Thanks, everyone. The foreground and background lighting don't match...this is somewhat intentional, as I wanted to highlight the fairies, but it does unfortunately result in a blue-screen effect...I don't think it's so bad in this case, though, and I'm not sure a drop shadow would be the best solution (though I'll keep it in mind for future renders).

The flowery snowflakes are actually one of the flower props from the Seasons outfit (which both characters are wearing, by the way), duplicated over 100 times using the New Node Instances function in DS4.5 (find it in the Create menu). One of the prop's mat options is a wintery snowflake-like look that I thought would work really well for this purpose.

The character is Surreality's Tamesis, using her Sylvan Elf skin. The fairy on the left is the TamesisHuman shape, while the one on the right is the Otherworldly Wonders shape. Tamesis is one of my favorite characters, but this is the one of the first times I've rendered her in her default shape(s) without mixing morphs.

Chohole, your renders (and advocacy) were definitely a big factor in getting me to start playing in Bryce, but it's actually something I've wanted to do for a long time. I first became aware of Bryce in the late 90s and have been curious about it since...it was the offer of free Bryce that actually lured me here earlier this year, but once I became aware of DS and the fact that it is also free I got hooked on that instead.

All the entries look really good! Great job, everyone! grin
[ Edited: 31 December 2012 09:20 PM by Scott-Livingston ]
Image Attachments
seasons2d.jpg
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 31 December 2012 10:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 146 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2012-08-07
I am probably to late to put in an entry now, and this one isn't for Christmas, but I would still like to wish everyone a Happy New Year and thank everyone as I have learnt so much being a part of these monthly contests.
Image Attachments
Dalek.jpg

Posted: 31 December 2012 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 147 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-06
That's a cool card, bluemoon, and it's probably not too late to enter it. It's still 2012 for two more hours in Utah, and no one has posted yet that the contest is closed.

Happy New Year, everyone! smile
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 31 December 2012 11:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 148 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2012-08-07
Thanks Scott, I will enter it and see what happens.

Posted: 01 January 2013 12:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 149 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-25
I think it's a good, fun render. Happy New Year everyone. grin
 Signature 

Posted: 01 January 2013 04:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 150 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15970
Joined  2003-10-09
Happy new year all

This Contest is Now Closed

Thanks for participating
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

10 of 11