Digital Art Zone

6 of 10
Urban Sprawl 3—-what do you want to see in the new city?
Posted: 07 December 2012 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  395
Joined  2003-10-09

hi all,
thanks to everyone for the feedback,some good ideas here ...alot of which are along the lines of what i want to do with US3…overpass,hills,bridge,oceanside,basic interiors,opening doors are all on my wishlist.

I’d love to do the big central park thing but in an effort to keep the set renderable for users I doubt I could do a decent looking park & city that renders fast..trees are always difficult and with this set I’m trying to avoid using too many transparent materials,so the parks will be small in scale and not like grand central park.
re the medieval city I’d suggest Faveral would be better suited to that theme,
one day I’ll tackle a european style city but US3 will probably be US-centric.And one day I will return to the victorian theme and do a better victorian street scene.

now just gotta make it all happen..and not take two years to do it :\

thanks again,will post pics soon

Stefan

Posted: 07 December 2012 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2003-10-09

Vending machines
Interesting neon (24-hour diners, adult “bookstores”, animated signs like waving mascots) signage
Something from the seedier side of town? (Not sure how familiar you are with New York City in the US, but something like that from the 1970s, specifically the Times Square area)
Convenience store
Outdoor newsstand
Public pay toilets
Not sure. Something to make the “nice” tourists nervous. grin This is what I’d like to see.

Posted: 09 December 2012 03:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2007-06-19
Stonemason - 07 December 2012 08:12 PM

one day I’ll tackle a european style city but US3 will probably be US-centric..

A city in the old world would be nice indeed. Ideally you could have old 18th and 19th century buildings and roads as base (for historical scenes) and then an overlay of neon, street lights and signs along with other modern additions to bring it to 21st century for contemporary scenes. But that’s for the future… smile

I’d love the new set to be easier to re-texture than say US2. I think just including more material zones would make a big difference. The textures are great from a distance and considering the size of the set, higher resolutions for the textures would be unreasonably. However for closeups it’d be nice to be able to easily replace textures with new ones that are sharp enough.

For example the Sea View Hotel with Drugs and Burroughs (doesn’t sound shady at all smile) in US2 is a lovely building prop with lots of details with different materials that could also have their own materials zones. It’s a bit more work and something that will definitely pile up with so many props to work with but still something to consider, hopefully.

Posted: 15 December 2012 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1508
Joined  2010-06-29

a slaughterhouse or these backyards like in chicago once in the past

maybe a habour or container port

more probs like cars (low poly) just for backround placing

Signature 

Samples of my renders by cosmo

Every day is your day - not the day of other people - So live your life, not the lifes of others and enjoy it

Posted: 15 December 2012 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  512
Joined  2003-10-09

I like big buildings, shops, lots of advertising billboards, skyways and byways contemporary please.  I would also love poser lights.

Posted: 15 December 2012 11:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

Okay, all I need is any set from now on have two options for the roadsigns. Add as English, or American. Other than that anything at all will go into my cart as soon as it hits the store.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 16 December 2012 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I’m not sure it’s possible to do a good looking set that includes both US and UK signs,the differences aren’t just in the signs but also the road layouts,the building styles..even the props that line the streets are all different..I would like to do a UK version ,but in an effort to do the best job possible would most likely approach it as a seperate set

thanks
Stefan

Posted: 16 December 2012 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Tempest! - 09 December 2012 03:59 AM

For example the Sea View Hotel with Drugs and Burroughs (doesn’t sound shady at all smile).

Wasn’t sure if anyone noticed I’d named the drugstore after William S Burroughs smile

Posted: 14 February 2013 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  236
Joined  2007-11-24

A dockyard and container port would be fantastic

Posted: 14 February 2013 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1198
Joined  2007-11-30

http://www.flickr.com/photos/norse_graphics/8474264599/in/photostream/

Thought I’d post a render of the old Urban Sprawl 2, though I forgot people are driving on the wrong side of the road (as seen in the render…). Looking at the renders of the promo, I wonder if I overlooked high-res textures…

Image Attachments
8474264599_547ed6e867_b.jpg

Posted: 14 February 2013 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2008-04-09

More building variety.  While I like US2, the buildings are all too similar, makes it hard to figure out what part of the city you’re in wink.

And, dare I say it, a lower price tag?  While your stuff is really great and I’m sure you put a lot of hard work into it - which is why it’s so great - The $35-$45 and up price tags make pruchasing any of your sets a very expensive proposition for a low budget hobbyist like me.

I had to tighten the belt considerably after buying US2, and believe me it was not fun.

Posted: 14 February 2013 11:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2012-02-05
nightwolf1982 - 14 February 2013 09:54 PM

More building variety.  While I like US2, the buildings are all too similar, makes it hard to figure out what part of the city you’re in wink.

And, dare I say it, a lower price tag?  While your stuff is really great and I’m sure you put a lot of hard work into it - which is why it’s so great - The $35-$45 and up price tags make pruchasing any of your sets a very expensive proposition for a low budget hobbyist like me.

I had to tighten the belt considerably after buying US2, and believe me it was not fun.

Perhaps a set of smaller releases for US3 with a bundled version? This could address the price and allow Stefan an opportunity to separate themed buildings from each other?

So for instance Stefan could have Urban Sprawl 3: Skyscrapers as a set of, say, 6-8 buildings representing towers of industry that you often find in commercial or financial centers and a few configurations as blocks in one release with appropriate props (like a low res luxury car) and then another set called Urban Sprawl 3: Residential, which has apartments and condominiums and appropriate props, then Urban Sprawl 3: Recreation, which has a mini-mall, small park, cafes, gyms, and so on.

Then pack all these in a bundle Urban Sprawl 3: Complete which, along with the individual releases, includes configurations that combine all buildings. The bundle would also have extra goodies (like maybe low resolution, fixed pose people, extra vehicles that the other releases don’t have, and such).

With the smaller releases, the budget conscious can pick out which set they really need or want, but for those who can splurge, they can get the bundle which has extra stuff the smaller sets don’t.

Of course, this may mean more work for Stefan and more legwork to negotiate with DAZ, so he’d have to weigh if the potential profit is worth the effort. vampire

As for what I would like to add in US3, an under construction area, with unfinished buildings. A crane would be nice. It would be very versatile, since so many sci fi and superhero scenes seem to occur near such places. And I still haven’t seen a really good girder to smash with.cool smile

Signature 

Follow the exploits of SERVANT in this digital comic series! The First Issue is Free to Download!
or as a webcomic at http://servant.thecomicseries.com/

Check out my Deviantart Gallery, Facebook page, and over at the DAZ Art Studio.

Posted: 15 February 2013 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2827
Joined  2007-12-25
BorgyB - 14 February 2013 11:27 PM

As for what I would like to add in US3, an under construction area, with unfinished buildings. A crane would be nice. It would be very versatile, since so many sci fi and superhero scenes seem to occur near such places. And I still haven’t seen a really good girder to smash with.cool smile

“Under Construction” would be fun. We have lots of ruined buildings, but not so much in the “rebuilding” phase!

(I also like the idea of being able to buy in smaller bites, but I know that can add work to the overall set, as well.)

Signature 

Shop Zigraphix @ DAZ3D

Posted: 16 February 2013 01:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12167
Joined  2007-11-06

...I’ve wanted Stefan to do a construction site for some time now.

This is the best I could do using elements from several of his sets.

Fence, pipes, ground (retextured) & cinder blocks from The Warehouse District.
Sidewalk from New York City Townhouses.
Building in background from Urban Sprawl 2 -The Big City.

Image Attachments
rosie_4_RP.jpg
 Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 16 February 2013 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2012-02-05
Kyoto Kid - 16 February 2013 01:49 AM

...I’ve wanted Stefan to do a construction site for some time now.

This is the best I could do using elements from several of his sets.

Fence, pipes, ground (retextured) & cinder blocks from The Warehouse District.
Sidewalk from New York City Townhouses.
Building in background from Urban Sprawl 2 -The Big City.

That’s pretty neat kit bashing. Still, I really found it odd no one’s ever done a construction site set with the incomplete building, cement, steel girders, “Under Construction” Fence, and such for Poser or DAZ. Stefan is certainly one of the PAs whom I believe would be able to pull it off well.

Signature 

Follow the exploits of SERVANT in this digital comic series! The First Issue is Free to Download!
or as a webcomic at http://servant.thecomicseries.com/

Check out my Deviantart Gallery, Facebook page, and over at the DAZ Art Studio.

6 of 10