2 of 2
User Defined Catagories dissapear…
Posted: 02 December 2012 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4524
Joined  2007-09-13
cridgit - 01 December 2012 07:23 PM

And I’m very interested to see the RawArt root category. Did you create that, or was that created when you installed the product? If you created it then no problem (your choice) but in the latter case, it does not conform to the DAZ metadata standards and QA should have spotted that before the product was released. There is a reason there are metadata standards and you should report it as a metadata bug (bugs.daz3d.com). You can move it out of the RawArt category into the Default subcategories, and delete the RawArt root category.

Color me confused…

Because here…

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/creating_content/packaging/tutorials/adding_metadata/start  (way down the page) it talks about creating roots and matching them to the store.

So…is that an older, newer, draft, alternate ‘standard’ or what?

Is everyone actually on the same page?

(one more reason for a ‘community’ effort running from a GIT or SVN repository…)

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 02 December 2012 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  819
Joined  2009-12-07

They mean the main store categorization (see pic below) which conforms (osrt of) to the default categories in the metadata standard. Note that the doc you’re referring to (Apr 2012) precedes the recent work on metadata standards.

The need for a metadata standard was identified at the time of writing the original metadata toolkit. Then DAZ got involved and said they’d like to drive the initiative. Then DAZ went quiet. Then I was asked to write a metadata tutorial, which I did, and I haven’t seen anything of it since. Then someone else from DAZ got involved and said they wanted to drive the initiative, and someone else was asked to write a guideline, which I reviewed, and I haven’t seen anything of it since. Then I reviewed the draft metadata standard and suggested some improvements / raised a few topics for discussion. Then DAZ went quiet again.

That’s when I decided to start the metadata guidelines thread, because there is a need for it within the community, but heaven knows what DAZ is up to - they just go quiet at times. I have not published all my custom metadata, nor created a site for managing community metadata because I don’t want to invest that kind of time, only to have it all become obsolete when DAZ finally decides to do something else.

So no, we are most certainly NOT all *officially* on the same page. However, the metadata guidelines thread is the closest thing we have today to an *unofficial* standard based on input from DAZ and the community members working on metadata. I like DAZ software and I like DAZ content, but I simply don’t understand how DAZ determines marketing priorities and makes project decisions.

Image Attachments
Picture1.jpg
 Signature 

PoseMaster for DAZ Studio and PoseMaster People Pack now sold at Rendo.

Posted: 02 December 2012 11:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4524
Joined  2007-09-13

No wonder I’m confuzzled…

There’s a saying…it’s been applied to dynamic clothing and probably works well here, too…it’s about bodily functions and pots…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 03 December 2012 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2315
Joined  2005-09-05

Hi Cridgit,

Thanks for the info…as soon as my brain comes back to life I’ll give it a try and see if I can sort it out. It drives me insane the way they keep coming back.

Moving from default isn’t an issue I do that all the time…; )

Thanks

Pen

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

2 of 2