I’ve just re-installed DS 4.5 Pro and a bunch of purchased products on a fresh Windows installation, and I’ve got a couple of missing image (or something) triangles under the products view in the smart content tab for the following thins:
Toon Amy Accessories (1.2)
Benjamin for M5 (1.3)
Victoria 5 Elite Texture Valerie (1.1)
When clicking on them they seem to list all the things belonging to them just fine, it’s just that the thumbnail is missing as far as I can see.
I can confirm that the same behavior also is true in my Smart Content Tab for
Benjamin for M5
Victoria 5 Elite Texture Valerie
For me it also happens for
Four Arms for Genesis
Urban Future 4 Psy District
- - -
The strange part is indeed that normally successful ways to quickly fix this do not work:
- Check if the Thumbnail image in Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Runtime\Support has the same name as the .dsa and .dsx files
- Check if the Thumbnail image has the aspect ratio 114x148
- Check if the Thumbnail image is smaler than 35kb
- Check if the Product Name is the same as the image, the .dsa and the .dsx file
- Download the product preview image from the store page and create a new thumbnail image in the proper aspect ratio, file size and name and place it in Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Runtime\Support .
None of those steps did solve the issue for the products in question. All this seems to have been set up correctly. To me it is a mystery why some product thumbnails are not showing up for quite a few products lately.
Temp Fix: Delete the Product, the .dsa and .dsx files and create a new Product
What solved the problem for me was to delete the old product and create a new one with same information as the original one:
Please only try to do that if you allready have a firm grip about metadata, the Content DB Editor and the Product Library.
If you mess the steps up you will end up having not only a missing thumbnail but the whole product not showing up anymore in smart content.
- Note the exact name of the original product as it appears in the Content Library Tab / Product Library / Content DB Editor
- Note the the store ID as it is written in the Token field in Content Library Tab / Product Library / Content DB Editor
- Delete the product from the Content Tab / Product Library by right clicking on the product folder and selecting delete
- Delete the .dsa and .dsx files of the product in Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Runtime\Support
- Go to the Content Library Tab and in the DAZ Studio or Poser Libary select the highest level folder were product assets are located. Right Click the Folder select “Create Product” and enter the Product Name.
- Repeat the last step if assets of the product can also be found in different folders. This is mostly the case for products containing Gen5 and Gen4 content that are spread over different folders in the DAZ Studio Library and the Poser Library
- In the Content Library Tab / Product Library / Content DB Editor enter the Product Name
- In the Content Library Tab / Product Library / Content DB Editor select the Store. DAZ 3D for all products purchased at DAZ3D.
- In the Content Library Tab / Product Library / Content DB Editor enter the product id number in the Token field.
- If Auto-Export is checked the new .dsa and .dsx files will automatically be saved in Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Runtime\Support
Change categories to force updated product thumbnail images to appear
Now all that is left to do is to force DS4.5 to update the thumbnail image by loading it. To do that it is enough to quickly select a different category in the smart content tab.
For example if the missing thumbnails was from a product in the materials category select the Enviroments category so the product is cleared from the view then click the Materials category again and it is there.
The product image previews are really updated live while DS4.5 is running. You can experiment around with that by cut and pasting an image from Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Runtime\Support to any other folder. The prevew image will be gone.
Paste the image back to Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Runtime\Support and the product image will be there again as soon as you switch back and forth between a few categories as described.
The real cause for the problem needs to be looked into
The described workaround probably is too much effort to ask for from standard DS4.5 users.
At first glance the missing thumbnail image does not seem to be a huge deal. Nevertheless the more products one has installed the more important thumbnails become to help one remember what the product is about. If the trend that more and more products are not showing the thumbnails properly is rising as it has in the last weeks this will be getting very annoying.
It would be appreciated if someone in the DAZ team could have a look into why this missing thumbnail issue seems to be happening more often lately.
To me the cause of this is really a mystery because all the things that normaly cause thumbnails to not be displayed correctly seem to be in order.