Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Gimp
Posted: 29 November 2012 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-11-08

Photshop is too expensive, Is it possible to import photos from Gimp into Daz.

Posted: 29 November 2012 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17025
Joined  2003-10-09

If you are talking about Daz Studio Yes, as long as they are saved in a format that Daz Studio accepts.

If you are talking about adding an image to a post in the DAZ 3D forum, then you need to use either a jpg, png or gif.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 29 November 2012 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3097
Joined  2009-02-24

Gimp can save in multiple formats which Daz can use. Just save your photo as a JPG or PNG (for lossy or lossless compression respectively) and you can load it into Daz as a texture map or a background.

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt
Download my free IBL presets for Luxus
Re-upload of Cresent’s awesome pwToon shaders
Create your own Smart Content

Posted: 29 November 2012 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2673
Joined  2011-12-10

For the most part, GIMP is every bit as powerful as PhotoPoop… And ADOBE is notorious for making buggy, crash prone software…

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 29 November 2012 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4524
Joined  2007-09-13

GIMP has changed it’s save dialog in the 2.8 release…if you want to save a file as something other than GIMP native format, you need to use the Export instead of Save.  Other than that GIMP handles just about any image format around…Studio can use BMP, JPG, PNG, TIF and a couple of others…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 29 November 2012 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5333
Joined  2008-03-06

I’m a GIMP user myself.  Earlier versions tended to be crash-prone with any scripts, but the latest is very stable and has a very good 64-bit version.  Make sure you get the GIMP animation package for doing gifs (if you want to do gifs) and the free GMIC and Resynthesize plugins because they are awesome.

GIMP can use Photoshop’s brushes, of which there are many inexpensive (Obsidian Dawn is my favorite) or free (all over the internet, but check licenses).

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery and tutorials.

Posted: 29 November 2012 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13
SickleYield - 29 November 2012 11:26 AM

I’m a GIMP user myself.  Earlier versions tended to be crash-prone with any scripts, but the latest is very stable and has a very good 64-bit version.  Make sure you get the GIMP animation package for doing gifs (if you want to do gifs) and the free GMIC and Resynthesize plugins because they are awesome.

GIMP can use Photoshop’s brushes, of which there are many inexpensive (Obsidian Dawn is my favorite) or free (all over the internet, but check licenses).

Obsidian Dawn has a bazillion brushes…and lots of good free ones. Some are even packaged for use in GIMP, but all her brushes I’ve tried (either the PS or GIMP packages) have worked well.  And with the new brush controls in 2.8, most of them work even better…my favorite new control is full rotation on the selected brush. (yeah, PS has had rotation for a while but GIMP didn’t or had rather clunky work arounds).  http://www.obsidiandawn.com/

Ron’s Brushes, offered here in the store work very well in GIMP.  Ron has a free sample pack at Brusheezy…

http://www.brusheezy.com/brushes/12896-rons-sampler-brushes

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/deviney

The GIMP Registry has lots of addon scripts, filters, plugins http://registry.gimp.org/

Pretty much, you can do almost everything with it you can do with any other full featured image editing software.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 29 November 2012 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06

Yes!  I ADORE the dynamics.  It used to be you had to script a brush and manually draw a ton of layers to make it rotate,  but now it’s effortless.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

Posted: 29 November 2012 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13

Hehe…‘rather clunky work arounds’...no need to bring up all THOSE gory details…there is an anit-gore sentiment on these forums LOL

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 29 November 2012 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06
mjc1016 - 29 November 2012 12:40 PM

Hehe…‘rather clunky work arounds’...no need to bring up all THOSE gory details…there is an anit-gore sentiment on these forums LOL

Somebody has to represent Fuseling’s accomplishment - she made me a rotating stitch brush before I knew that was even a possibility in GIMP.  :-D

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

Posted: 29 November 2012 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13
SickleYield - 29 November 2012 12:42 PM
mjc1016 - 29 November 2012 12:40 PM

Somebody has to represent Fuseling’s accomplishment - she made me a rotating stitch brush before I knew that was even a possibility in GIMP.  :-D

I got pretty used to making layers and rotating them…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 29 November 2012 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1695
Joined  2012-09-16

I have been using Gimp to change textures and such and it hasn’t let me down so far ^^

Signature 

Studio DB Page
DeviantArt page

Need a review or looking for tips? Pay a visit HERE

Posted: 29 November 2012 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2012-02-05

You say GIMP uses Photoshop brushes; do they need to be converted or can they be used “as is”  (been using paintshop pro but it don’t do brushes without conversion)

*looks around startled* Oh my gosh what did I just do! *Quickly goes back to lurking*

Signature 

My images on Deviant Art

Posted: 29 November 2012 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06
Machieltje - 29 November 2012 02:51 PM

You say GIMP uses Photoshop brushes; do they need to be converted or can they be used “as is”  (been using paintshop pro but it don’t do brushes without conversion)

*looks around startled* Oh my gosh what did I just do! *Quickly goes back to lurking*

As-is.  You just dump the .abr right into the brushes folder and they work.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

Posted: 29 November 2012 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2012-02-05
SickleYield - 29 November 2012 02:58 PM
Machieltje - 29 November 2012 02:51 PM

As-is.  You just dump the .abr right into the brushes folder and they work.

Gimp is sounding more and more interesting, I may have to try it soon.

Oh bugger I did it again!

Signature 

My images on Deviant Art

Posted: 29 November 2012 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2673
Joined  2011-12-10

It has quite a few changes… the Brush controls are a little different, and some custom brushes have been added since my 2.6 install.

But I think I’m going to get a scheister lawyer and sue over having to use the Export function to save a JPEG… it’s just enough to cause carpel tunnel syndrome in my big left toe.

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

1 of 2