Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
This Program Absolutely Sucks & I’m Not Spending Another Minute with It
Posted: 04 June 2012 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1386
Joined  2004-06-13

The first new user should do is to change the workspace layout to something more useful.  Go to Window_Workspace_Select Layout.  Try either Self Serve or City Limits.  You can also change the Style (just below Workspace) if you wish.  Once you have changed the workspace you will now have a Content Library tab, all mapped content will appear where as the Smart Library tab only showed content with metadata.  You can map new content folders by right-clicking of either DAZ Studio Formats or Poser Formats entries in the Content Library tab.  One last thing, I feel I may be creating more confusion about the whole ‘Content’ folder issue.  When I refer to a content folder I am using the word content in its generic form meaning a group of similar stuff.  I in no way mean to imply that you need a folder actually named “Content”.

Signature 

Push buttons, see what happens!

Posted: 05 June 2012 06:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  839
Joined  2003-10-09

I haven’t followed this thread all the way through but I feel compelled to add my two cents.

Yes, the structure of Poser & DAZ model file heirarchy is complicated.  Made worse by evolutionary changes within Poser and compounded further by evolutionary changes within DAZ Studio too.

I’ve tried to write a complete tutorial identifying all the issues but my brain short-circuited and battery acid leaked into my shorts.  Needless to say, the tutorial remains unfinished and only scatterings of my wisdom(sic) are found in the old DAZ forums.

To add grit into the watchworks it must be realized that some 3rd-party models (and even a couple of DAZ models) don’t unpack into exactly the right spots.

I used to have multiple “runtime” folders (for Poser stuff) and multiple “content” folders for various types of Studio stuff but I’m sure that led to my eventual cranial explosion, and was the root cause of my decision to completely re-install my entire library from scratch.  I now have only one “content” folder with one “runtime” folder within it for my Studio3 library.  I also have an installation of Studio4 on a separate machine and it has a completely separate, but much smaller selection of my models installed into the “<user>/Documents/.../MyLibrary” folder.  (I’m still experimenting with Studio4 and don’t trust it completely yet.)

My current approach when installing models is to weed out the odd-ball models that are incomplete or hard to install, and simply not deal with them.  The installation of “zip"ed files is done by unzipping them into an easily located folder (i.e. c:/DAZtmp) to see how they were structured, then if the structure looks OK I simply cut & paste the structure into the appropriate folder (i.e. “My Library” or “content” or “runtime”).  The installation of DAZ “exe” files is done by making sure that I actually observe the installation path and determine that it is the right spot before I blindly say “OK” to the installation.  THEN after it’s installed I go back into my model hierarchy and see if the installer inadvertently gave me a “content” within my “content” or similar boo-boo.  If so, then I simply cut & paste the errant sub-folder and put it where it belongs.  THEN I actually test the loading of the models and its major textures or associated props.

All this, of course, assumes that one knows what the “correct” hierarchy structure is supposed to look like and that only comes with experience. tongue rolleye

However, to get back to what I was originally going to say…

I have found that Studio4 installed on Windows7 in a “STANDARD” user login account (rather than an “ADMINISTRATOR” account), simply doesn’t do the right thing regarding the choice of default installation path!  (*grrr).  It asks for the Administrator password and then proceeds to define the DEFAULT installation path as the “.../users/Administator/Documents/...” branch NOT the “.../users/<my login>/Documents/...” branch. mad  Subsequently when one executes DAZ Studio and tries to point the preferences to the model tree in the Administrator’s account it doesn’t work because a STANDARD user can’t view the ADMINISTRATOR’s files.  (oy!)  I guess one could disable all sorts of permissions protections or start running DAZ Studio in the Administrator’s account but that’s cheating.
I have found that if you manually set the model installer’s installation path to your personal Documents/... path instead of letting it default to the Administator’s Documents/... path, then the models install just fine and Studio can find them.

So, in summary (yeah, I know, I talk too much) If you are running Studio4 as a STANDARD user in Windows7 be cognizant of where your models are being installed.  As a side note, the problem with the default path arises because when you try to install DAZ Studio it needs administrator privileges to install the applications so it asks for the Administrator’s password then assumes that the Administrator is the user who is going to be running the system and sets the default paths to point to the Administrator.  Point being, if you like the security of running as a STANDARD user, please be aware that DAZ Studio4 gets confused unless you hold it’s hand while installing models. ohh

Signature 

I’m sooo confused…  I’ve come to grasp a little of the nature of reality and the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  I even have an inkling as to who and what I am. Auuummmmm…  But please, please, who the hell are you?  And why are you trampling my roses?

Posted: 05 June 2012 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2005-10-21

TrainGy2010, I have reconsidered.

To start, I thought I had Daz 4 Pro but did not. I re-downloaded and reinstalled.  And I now have the ‘Pro’ version. It also will recognize only genesis libraries. I can go to File - Import an navigate to an obj file from older models and it will import them. Of course that still leaves mats and stuff to be handled.

Daz 4 is so genesis focused that old models are left by the wayside so you have to start over. Daz 4 is free because that is what it’s worth.

Find an older version (I’m going back to 2.3.3 or maybe 1.8.) They are quite versatile versions.  I could get angry but, no, I am disappointed, Daz has put out good stuff before. They are not doing that now.

I may check back and see if there are improvements later on. If Daz is monitoring they can check my account. I have in the past purchased a number characters, props, and poses. yes, I took advantage of free stuff too. Maybe this downward direction started with V4 as V3 and earlier was quite good.

Posted: 05 June 2012 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9620
Joined  2007-11-06

When you first run DS4 it should ask you if you want to “Import Mapped Folders” and if you want to “Migrate the Content Database”.  You can access these options from the Content Library options menu if it doesn’t prompt you automatically.

First “Import Mapped Folders”.  If you then look at the Content Library tab you can click on “DAZ Studio Content Folders” or “Poser Content Folders” and see the folders as they are on disk, equivalent to the Folder view in DS3.

Then “Migrate the Content Database” to import the Content Database used in the Category view in DS3.  After you do this, clicking on “Categories” in the Content Library tab in DS4 will give you the equivalent of the Category view in DS3, plus an extra top-level category “Default” for the DS4 content.  You can now categorize the DS4 content from Default > Unassigned into your own categories.

[Note: Migrating will skip items which have non-English characters, such as diacritical marks.]

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 05 June 2012 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  194
Joined  2006-04-15

I’m quite happy with 3.1.2.32, tbh. I’ve had 4 Pro for several months, and ... I’m finding it bloody unusable. Thankfully, I can keep my install of 3 alongside it, so I’ve not gotten too much trouble from installing 4, as well. If you’d like to try 3, you can get it here: http://download.cnet.com/DAZ-Studio/3000-6677_4-11750934.html

Signature 

“Why’s all the rum gone?”  *looks at the last render*  “Oh. That’s why the rum’s gone…”
DAZ Studio 3.1.2.32 | Windows 7 Pro SP1 x32 | ATI Radeon HD 4200
Say YES to David 5!

Posted: 06 June 2012 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2005-10-21
fixmypcmike - 05 June 2012 07:59 PM

When you first run DS4 it should ask you if you want to “Import Mapped Folders” and if you want to “Migrate the Content Database”.  You can access these options from the Content Library options menu if it doesn’t prompt you automatically.

First “Import Mapped Folders”.  If you then look at the Content Library tab you can click on “DAZ Studio Content Folders” or “Poser Content Folders” and see the folders as they are on disk, equivalent to the Folder view in DS3.

Then “Migrate the Content Database” to import the Content Database used in the Category view in DS3.  After you do this, clicking on “Categories” in the Content Library tab in DS4 will give you the equivalent of the Category view in DS3, plus an extra top-level category “Default” for the DS4 content.  You can now categorize the DS4 content from Default > Unassigned into your own categories.

[Note: Migrating will skip items which have non-English characters, such as diacritical marks.]

You should really try this on the latest published version before writing. The names have changed and operation is different. But it doesn’t matter. It still does not work. Maybe I’ll try to look for the ‘log’ file sometime to see what the errors are. i.e. It fails to import so there is no content in any mapped folders.

At least in the older versions you could install stuff and actually use them to do 3D art.

Posted: 07 June 2012 05:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I have a huge library very nicely categorized that I use on my primary WIn7 machine with Studio3.  I have another Win7 machine that I have Studio4 installed onto.  It only has the default Studio contents and about a dozen Genesis products.  I have not tried to categorize the contents yet.  I just use the raw folder view.  I’m confused and afraid of the new categorization tools. red face

On the Studio4 machine I also provide access to my content library from my Studio3 machine.  It is accessed as read-only so I’m not going to accidentally booger things up if Studio4 sneezes.  I can load objects from my raw folder view of my Studio3 content but because it’s not categorized, I have a hell of a time finding things. downer

I haven’t gathered enough courage to try to do the importing of categorized information into Studio4.  I have very little faith that it will work.  And I refuse to again go through the long painful process of categorizing my entire library.  I just spent over 6 weeks manually re-loading and categorizing my entire libary on my Studio3 machine in which I had confidence that it was doing things properly. ohh

Signature 

I’m sooo confused…  I’ve come to grasp a little of the nature of reality and the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  I even have an inkling as to who and what I am. Auuummmmm…  But please, please, who the hell are you?  And why are you trampling my roses?

Posted: 07 June 2012 06:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
thewall - 06 June 2012 08:27 PM
fixmypcmike - 05 June 2012 07:59 PM

You should really try this on the latest published version before writing. The names have changed and operation is different. But it doesn’t matter. It still does not work. Maybe I’ll try to look for the ‘log’ file sometime to see what the errors are. i.e. It fails to import so there is no content in any mapped folders.

At least in the older versions you could install stuff and actually use them to do 3D art.

I see they are currently called “Import Mapped Directories” and “Migrate Old Content Database” in 4.0.3.47, but the operation seems the same.  Can you go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, expand the 3 types, and post a screenshot?

The log is at Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File,

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 07 June 2012 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
LeatherGryphon - 07 June 2012 05:30 AM

I have a huge library very nicely categorized that I use on my primary WIn7 machine with Studio3.  I have another Win7 machine that I have Studio4 installed onto.  It only has the default Studio contents and about a dozen Genesis products.  I have not tried to categorize the contents yet.  I just use the raw folder view.  I’m confused and afraid of the new categorization tools. red face

On the Studio4 machine I also provide access to my content library from my Studio3 machine.  It is accessed as read-only so I’m not going to accidentally booger things up if Studio4 sneezes.  I can load objects from my raw folder view of my Studio3 content but because it’s not categorized, I have a hell of a time finding things. downer

I haven’t gathered enough courage to try to do the importing of categorized information into Studio4.  I have very little faith that it will work.  And I refuse to again go through the long painful process of categorizing my entire library.  I just spent over 6 weeks manually re-loading and categorizing my entire libary on my Studio3 machine in which I had confidence that it was doing things properly. ohh

Migrating the old Categories works quite well now, it’s been fixed for a long time now.  I use it every time I add content—I categorize in DS3, then migrate to DS4 so they match.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 07 June 2012 07:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
fixmypcmike - 07 June 2012 06:42 AM

Migrating the old Categories works quite well now, it’s been fixed for a long time now.  I use it every time I add content—I categorize in DS3, then migrate to DS4 so they match.

Hmmm… thank you. 

As described above, I have my primary library installed & categorized on one machine running Studio3.  I don’t want to copy 67GB of “content” folders over to my other computer.  I would much rather simply have it “mounted” as a read-only folder.  That would allow me to do all my non-genesis installations on the Studio3 machine.  My question are: Does the importing of content categorization require that the original category definitions be on the Studio4 machine?  And it seems to me that the categorization definitions are in the “C:\Users\<myloginname>\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio3\Content” index file located on my Studio3 machine.  How does this relate to the importation and conversion of content definitions into the Studio4 environment?  It seems that that file and possibly other information in the “...\AppData\...” folder would need to be available to Studio4 in order to know how to import/convert the categorization data.

Signature 

Posted: 07 June 2012 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
LeatherGryphon - 07 June 2012 07:52 AM
fixmypcmike - 07 June 2012 06:42 AM

Hmmm… thank you. 

As described above, I have my primary library installed & categorized on one machine running Studio3.  I don’t want to copy 67GB of “content” folders over to my other computer.  I would much rather simply have it “mounted” as a read-only folder.  That would allow me to do all my non-genesis installations on the Studio3 machine.  My question are: Does the importing of content categorization require that the original category definitions be on the Studio4 machine?  And it seems to me that the categorization definitions are in the “C:\Users\<myloginname>\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio3\Content” index file located on my Studio3 machine.  How does this relate to the importation and conversion of content definitions into the Studio4 environment?  It seems that that file and possibly other information in the “...\AppData\...” folder would need to be available to Studio4 in order to know how to import/convert the categorization data.

The original categories do not have to be set up in DS4, but I would imagine DS4 does need to access the Content file in the Appdata folder.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Updated Genesis Products

2 of 2