Digital Art Zone

1 of 4
Newbie Carrara frustrations - Anything Glows
Posted: 28 November 2012 02:08 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  0

So, I’m using the Vanguard model from here at Daz and trying to use Anything Glows to make the engines light up. I experimented with things like a simple sphere and got anything glows to work but I can’t get the Vanguard to ‘glow’.

I set the engine flames shader to glow. I can’t select the specific engine flames in Carrara and add Anything Glows to them. It’s greyed out. I can add it to the main model of the ship just not any subparts.

Any hints or suggestions for a new guy wanting to play with Carrara?

Signature 

Having trouble with clothing/props not showing in Daz 4.5? Take a look at this thread:

Thread in Nuts And Bolts forum

Posted: 28 November 2012 06:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07

Anything glows puts out light, it does not cause the object to glow. You do that is the shader, glow channel. Unless the light from the engines are actually lighting up something, you don’t need anything glows.

Posted: 28 November 2012 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  0

Well the object has been made to glow in the glow channel. But I thought anything glows putting out light would make it brighter and look more like a spaceship’s engines as well as making the inner parts of the engine look lit up. I was sort of able to do it with a model of the spaceship from the black hole using a combination of anything glows, the glow channel and a 3d aura.

Image Attachments
Cygnus_Test_2.jpg
 Signature 

Having trouble with clothing/props not showing in Daz 4.5? Take a look at this thread:

Posted: 28 November 2012 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07

There are many things you can do in the glow channel to get it brighter.  try an operator like add or multiply by 1-100 or 1-1000, it will surprise you wink

Posted: 28 November 2012 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  417
Joined  2008-08-29
Riggswolfe - 28 November 2012 07:25 AM

Well the object has been made to glow in the glow channel. But I thought anything glows putting out light would make it brighter and look more like a spaceship’s engines as well as making the inner parts of the engine look lit up. I was sort of able to do it with a model of the spaceship from the black hole using a combination of anything glows, the glow channel and a 3d aura.

The effect you are probably looking for is “Aura” under the object’s Effects tab in the assembly room. For a nice effect have it decay over distance.

Signature 

Swamp Living Never Felt So Good

Posted: 28 November 2012 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  0

I tried it with 3d Aura and also with a multiply. I stuck with 100 because when I went higher the glow went totally white for some reason.

It’s better than Glow alone though not perfect. Ironically I think the little landing lights or whatever look better than the Engines.

Image Attachments
Vanguard_Engine_Glow_test.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 28 November 2012 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-08-29

Heh. I see now that I was reading too fast and missed you saying earlier that you were using 3d aura. The images you posted didn’t seem to have a particularly strong 3d aura—that is strongly affected by scale and the distance attenuation significantly impacts the size. Also, if you are using glow channel for simple lights as well as engines you are probably not going to get the best effect with 3d aura.

Something else you might consider trying is rendering multi-pass and doing a glow (or other) pass as separate. You could then use that in post processing. It would allow you substantially greater flexibility in the effect.

Other things to try really depend on just what you are trying to achieve. One of the add ons (in Advance Pack, I think) is 3d volumetrics. That allows some really controlled effects by bounding the volumetric with a mesh. Or, for some types of engine effects, cones with alpha transparency mapping.

Signature 

Posted: 28 November 2012 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  0
thoromyr - 28 November 2012 04:51 PM

Heh. I see now that I was reading too fast and missed you saying earlier that you were using 3d aura. The images you posted didn’t seem to have a particularly strong 3d aura—that is strongly affected by scale and the distance attenuation significantly impacts the size. Also, if you are using glow channel for simple lights as well as engines you are probably not going to get the best effect with 3d aura.

Originally I was trying Anything Glows but it just never seemed to work. I may still experiment with it some.

Something else you might consider trying is rendering multi-pass and doing a glow (or other) pass as separate. You could then use that in post processing. It would allow you substantially greater flexibility in the effect.

And then just use photoshop layers and merge the pics or something? Hmmmm…I could try that.

Other things to try really depend on just what you are trying to achieve. One of the add ons (in Advance Pack, I think) is 3d volumetrics. That allows some really controlled effects by bounding the volumetric with a mesh. Or, for some types of engine effects, cones with alpha transparency mapping.

Is Advance pack a plugin or something?

Signature 

Posted: 28 November 2012 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  0

To give an idea of what I mean, there is the image from one of the space ships sold in the store here. It may be postwork but I’ve seen a lot of Carrara renders around that look like this.

Image Attachments
deep-space-heavy-cruiser-large.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 28 November 2012 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-08-29
Riggswolfe - 28 November 2012 05:00 PM
thoromyr - 28 November 2012 04:51 PM

Originally I was trying Anything Glows but it just never seemed to work. I may still experiment with it some.

Well, by itself, anything glows doesn’t really do anything—all it does is serve as a light source to illuminate something else. If there’s nothing to illuminate then it really doesn’t do anything. A fog may be reasonable to serve as something to illuminate, but you’d probably want to be able to provide a particular shape.

And then just use photoshop layers and merge the pics or something? Hmmmm…I could try that.

Well, I haven’t done it and I don’t do much postwork myself. But an example might be to use the glow pass as a mask for an effect being overlayed on the image.

Is Advance pack a plugin or something?

Advance Pack is a set of plugins sold through Daz. The one I was referring to is Primivol. I haven’t used it much yet, but it is far easier to work with than the Carrara builtin fog, for example, when trying to get an effect.

Signature 

Posted: 28 November 2012 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-08-29
Riggswolfe - 28 November 2012 05:06 PM

To give an idea of what I mean, there is the image from one of the space ships sold in the store here. It may be postwork but I’ve seen a lot of Carrara renders around that look like this.

That looks very doable to me. For easy to set up (once you get the hang of the scaling) I’d probably use 3d aura, but with some other things I’ve played with I’d be tempted to try using metaballs and a shader. There’s a fake fresnel capability in Digital Carvers Guild Shader Ops that is handy for controlling gradients over a surface. Someone handy in photoshop should be able to knock that out very easily just free handing over the render. Myself, I’ve got a personal preference to do as much of the work as possible using the Carrara renderer which is why I’d lean toward 3d aura or a shader-based effect.

Signature 

Posted: 28 November 2012 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  0

I definitely need to play some more. One problem I had with the Vanguard is when I tried to make the aura too big it leaked out around the edges of the engine model and ruined the effect. Still, this has been helpful to me! Thanks a lot! I’m playing with all kinds of stuff in Cararra and am impressed by some of what I am learning though I wish I had access to more (preferably free) tutorials. Cararra seems harder to find them for though I did just find a nice youtube channel called Carrara Lounge which should help I hope.

It seems, at this point, to be harder to pose and place figure in Carrara than in Daz but that is probably just because I’ve had it for less than a day. smile I do wish I could search content more easily in it however.

Signature 

Posted: 28 November 2012 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

HI smile

If you first, add a Bulb light,. behind your engines,. it will be able to cast light on the Hull and the engine,..
then you can go to Effects, and add a Glow effect to the Bulb. and set it as you want.

You can then Duplicate that Bulb,. and place it behind the other engine,. It’ll have the same settings and effects.

In these images, I created a Starfield background, Using a Sphere scaled to 3miles, and a procedural shader for the nebula and stars.
I used the Fire primitive (cylinder shape) for the jets. (the fire primitive can be animated)

Ship with bulb lights, plus Glow and Glare,.
Scene Setup and effect settings.
Ship with lights. no effects

Image Attachments
Nebula_ship_light_glow.jpgGlow_bulb.jpgNebula_ship3.jpg

Posted: 28 November 2012 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  0

Very cool! Clearly I need to figure out how to do this. I don’t even know how to add a bulb yet!

Edit: And I figured out the bulb and the fire. Cool. New toys!

Signature 

Posted: 28 November 2012 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  217
Joined  2007-03-03
Riggswolfe - 28 November 2012 06:31 PM

Very cool! Clearly I need to figure out how to do this. I don’t even know how to add a bulb yet!

Your enthusiasm is admirable, but I can’t stress how important it is to learn to crawl before you run.  I tried to dive headfirst into Carrara as well and after bumping my head on the bottom I decided I needed to actually learn how to use the program.  I got Mark Bremmer’s tutorial DVD and learned A TON of information about how to really use Carrara.  I’d also reccommend PhilW’s tutorials available here at DAZ:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/carrara-8-training-instant-digital-download
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/advanced-carrara-techniques

I haven’t seen them myself, but Phil is really an expert at Carrara.  I’ll probably pick up Advanced Techniques myself before long.

You can also find a lot of very good tutorials for Carrara’s basics on Youtube by several different users.

Trust me, learn the program first.  You will be amazed at how much easier things become and what you are capable of doing once you do.

Signature 

-Kodiak3d

“I wonder what tomorrow has in mind for me, or am I even in its mind at all?”
- “Crystal Ball” by Styx

Posted: 29 November 2012 06:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-08-29

Just as a general thing, 3dage’s advice about using bulbs is a good one: while it may be tempting to use anything glows you are probably better off using bulbs and spotlights to mimic sources of light in a scene.

To illustrate what can be done using objects and shaders the following is just a rocketship model (from Daz, forget which one) with a deformed sphere to use as the jet. One advantage over the fire primitive is that it is bulbous (the fire primitive is comprised of an array of parallel* strands, one consequence of which is that it can only be used for jets of flame) and can be twisted to suggest a turning motion.

The shader is entirely procedural, uses the glow channel and 3d aura. One thing it demonstrates is the limitation of Carrara’s post processing: there is no antialiasing. To remove artifacts from around the deformed sphere object I used photoshop’s healing brush.

Image Attachments
rocket-simple2.jpg
 Signature 

1 of 4