2 of 2
Forest? What is your opinion?
Posted: 30 November 2012 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1172
Joined  2009-01-09
SereneNight - 29 November 2012 09:07 AM

I like elements of the forest, such as the river and trees, but I’ve decided I’m not very fond of this particular set. The grass in particular just doesn’t have the dimension or quality I’m lookng for. Thanks for everyone for the advice. =-)

If you need something in the nearer term, for grass, you could try Predatron’s Grass, or, if you’re looking for something that will work in medium distance renders, First Bastion’s Hilly Surround. No trees in either, but depending on what you need to do, you could get some of Merlin’s trees for that as well.

Using a lot of Predatron’s Grass WILL slow down your system a bit. And even though I ubersurfaced it within an inch of its life, it does take ages to render.

Signature 

VWrangler at deviantArt (NSFW for some images; login required to view those)

Posted: 30 November 2012 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2302
Joined  2010-12-18

I agree that Predatron’s grass is good stuff. Don’t use too much of it though, I tend to only use one or to well placed chunks of it i a scene.

Signature 

My deviantArt Pinup Gallery

Posted: 30 November 2012 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1336
Joined  2006-03-14
vwrangler - 30 November 2012 02:09 PM

Using a lot of Predatron’s Grass WILL slow down your system a bit. And even though I ubersurfaced it within an inch of its life, it does take ages to render.

In DS4, you can instance the grass and save a lot of overhead.

Signature 

My Tutorials and Freebies Index

Posted: 30 November 2012 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2302
Joined  2010-12-18
adamr001 - 30 November 2012 02:41 PM

In DS4, you can instance the grass and save a lot of overhead.

Unfortunately that isn’t supported when you export as on OBJ so it doesn’t help external renders. And even a plugin I am waiting for said it won’t be able to use instances in DS 4.5 for a bit. And tools like infinito don’t support instances.

So yeah if you can instance it, go for it. But even when I did that it still had a noticeable impact on my system. More so than a character with a 13 piece outfit.

Signature 

My deviantArt Pinup Gallery

Posted: 30 November 2012 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4182
Joined  2011-11-25

I love predatron’s grass and his weeds. Use em often. Now that is grass!!! I also think the light set he makes is wonderful. My favorite.

Posted: 30 November 2012 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  1000
Joined  2003-10-09
SereneNight - 29 November 2012 09:07 AM

I like elements of the forest, such as the river and trees, but I’ve decided I’m not very fond of this particular set. The grass in particular just doesn’t have the dimension or quality I’m lookng for. Thanks for everyone for the advice. =-)

A lot depends on personal style, lighting, and most important camera angle. Here are two images I did (not sure of gamma on either since they were done on two different pc’s).

The one with the Klipspringer in the middle was the camera load of the scene. There was a huge tree blocking the view. I selected it and made it invisible. The autumn one was obviously a higher angle and the grass panels are more obvious.

Image Attachments
Koit-elfboatx800.jpgForest-Klipspringer.jpg

Posted: 21 October 2013 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1495
Joined  2010-06-29
SereneNight - 27 November 2012 10:23 PM

I’ve eyeballed the forest (link below) for sometime. It is in fast grab right now, and I’m curious what folks think. Do you like it? How does it look for instance in a darker nighttime scene?

Your opinions appreciated.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/fast-grab-3d-models/forest

here is an image of the “forest superior” I have rendered with just one distant light/deep shadow map and 4 distant lights without shadow for environment light. Unfortunatelly for ray trayced shadow I need a new machine. Have rendered another with a bathing beauty that I have uploaded only at renderosity because of nudity and where I first have tried ray traced shadow but after 4 hours just 47% were rendered and that is a bit to slow for me, so for me only deep shadow map is an option for the forest sets but I have bought them also because of the single prop set (new stuff) “forest elements”

(my name there at rendo if you want to visit my gallery there is the same as here: cosmo71)

Image Attachments
Forest_Superior_River_2.jpg
 Signature 

Samples of my renders by cosmo

Every day is your day - not the day of other people - So live your life, not the lifes of others and enjoy it

2 of 2