Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Horse 2 problems?
Posted: 27 November 2012 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2003-10-09

Fist off I just want to say that I love the way that this new horse model bends without breaking the mesh in extreme poses, I love the mapping although am very disappointed that uvs for the MilHorse textures are not included in the same way that V5 can use V4’s maps.

But I’m really confused as to why the conforming mane figures don’t cover the whole mane? I may have missed a setting but all horse manes grow the full length of their necks starting between the ears down onto the withers unless it is pulled or shaved for a show.

That’s great for renders of horse shows but for most of my artwork I use the horse in a natural state, wild horses, native ponies, horses carrying their riders into battle or on quests would hardly have had part of their manes shaved as the fashion in the show ring..

One other problem I’ve come across is when applying some (but not all) of my own MilHorse poses the geometry is breaking on the hooves. Most of the poses are spot on apart from needing the rotations adjusted for the hooves which will be easy for me to sort out but this one has me puzzled as to why it’s only on a few poses? I seem to remember a similar thing happening in Poser years ago with the P4 horse and Posette but can’t remember what the cause was as it was so long ago.

Image Attachments
horse-2-screengrab-004.jpghorse-2-screengrab-003.jpg
 Signature 

LadyfyreGraphics Online:
 Website | Store | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Posted: 27 November 2012 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2005-03-15

Genesis does the fly-away feet thing on some V4/M4 poses. IIRC, Adam made a script to make them behave.

Posted: 27 November 2012 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09
Arkathan - 27 November 2012 12:07 PM

Genesis does the fly-away feet thing on some V4/M4 poses. IIRC, Adam made a script to make them behave.

I hadn’t come across that with Genesis yet, I wonder why it does it with some and not others? will check out my poses and see if there’s anything to do with ik in them.

Signature 

LadyfyreGraphics Online:

Posted: 27 November 2012 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  999
Joined  2012-02-04

I think it’s because of x/y/z translation values, that are normally hidden.  You may need to do ‘show hidden properties’ to fix them yourself.  I don’t know if the script to auto-fix this will work with the horse, as I don’t know if it’s looking for bones specifically by name, or if it just walks the entire bone list removing all the translation values regardless of bone node name.

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage

Posted: 27 November 2012 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

The pose problem looks to be the same as what happens when applying some V4/M4 poses to Genesis.  It’s because the position of the hands/feet (in this case hooves) don’t quite match up,  There’s an correction script for Genesis, so it probably one needs to be written for the horse, too…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 27 November 2012 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5436
Joined  2005-08-29

You find the script here: http://daz.tall-tales-racing.com/resources/freebies/genesis/GnResetHandFeetTranslation.zip

Signature 

=============================================
My DAZ Gallery  | The adventures of Lomund
Free RPG adventures for DnD, O:FR and more: http://4eyes.code66.se
Community Volunteer

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club
I always look on the bright side of life, ‘cause I never expected the Spanish inquisition!

Posted: 27 November 2012 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  999
Joined  2012-02-04

The script I downloaded ages ago is looking for bones specifically by name, so a modified version would be necessary for the horse, since it has different bone names.  But the principal still applies: you can fix this by hand by showing hidden properties and setting all x/y/z translation values to zero.

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage

Posted: 27 November 2012 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09
cwichura - 27 November 2012 12:31 PM

I think it’s because of x/y/z translation values, that are normally hidden.  You may need to do ‘show hidden properties’ to fix them yourself.  I don’t know if the script to auto-fix this will work with the horse, as I don’t know if it’s looking for bones specifically by name, or if it just walks the entire bone list removing all the translation values regardless of bone node name.

Thank you! That was it, for some reason some of my poses had values in them for x/y/z translations on the hooves whilst most didn’t, not sure why? Some of my poses I had created in either DS 2 or 3, don’t remember which and exported the poses via a great free script so it could possibly be from that?

Anyways just in the middle of editing them all to remove the parameters. Thanks again x

Signature 

LadyfyreGraphics Online:

Posted: 27 November 2012 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13915
Joined  2003-10-09

Poses are likely to have translation values if they were saved with IK on. You can edit the translation values to have min=max=0 if you like (show hidden properties, then click the gear icon on the slider, Parameter Settings, make sure Respect Limits is ticked and that the min and max are 0 - that’s how they fixed Genesis, as I recall)

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 27 November 2012 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

Thank you for that, will remember in the future.

One other thing I’ve noticed is that there isn’t any geometry for the fetlocks so no feathers for this horse unless added in post but that leaves animators without the option of heavy horses and hairy native types. Can’t understand why it was left out when it was present in the Milhorse?

Signature 

LadyfyreGraphics Online:

Posted: 27 November 2012 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09
Totte - 27 November 2012 12:43 PM

You find the script here: http://daz.tall-tales-racing.com/resources/freebies/genesis/GnResetHandFeetTranslation.zip

Thank you for the link, I missed it earlier.

Signature 

LadyfyreGraphics Online:

Posted: 02 December 2012 11:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2010-03-02

I’m having the same problem in Poser. Here are the changes you need to make:

PART                   BEFORE               AFTER
Body                     Y trans 0                 Y Trans -0.580 (lowers “floating horse”)
rPasternHind           Bend -25                 Bend 0
rHoofHind               Bend -8                 Bend 0
rPasternFore           Bend -25                 Bend 0
rHoofFore               Bend 1                   Bend 0

(then do the same for the left)

Does anyone know how to write a script in Poser to do this translation automatically?

Image Attachments
Horse2_Millenium_FU.jpg

Posted: 03 December 2012 05:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5705
Joined  2006-02-20

I can’t test now, but there is a second script
http://www.sharecg.com/v/60135/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Genesis-V4-pose-adjust-script

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

Posted: 08 December 2012 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2005-09-26
Ladyfyre-Graphics - 27 November 2012 10:57 AM

But I’m really confused as to why the conforming mane figures don’t cover the whole mane? I may have missed a setting but all horse manes grow the full length of their necks starting between the ears down onto the withers unless it is pulled or shaved for a show.

I to ‘am wondering about this.
Any ideas how to get a full mane?

Posted: 08 December 2012 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09
Teigh - 08 December 2012 12:20 PM
Ladyfyre-Graphics - 27 November 2012 10:57 AM

I to ‘am wondering about this.
Any ideas how to get a full mane?

Not really any way with the mane that comes with it apart from some major morphing and that would probably end up patchy,

I’m making a new one at the moment which will be a freebie on my website once I’ve figured out how to package a Daz Studio item although it’s still only in beta stages. I’ve deliberately only made it with a single layer so that you can add as little or many as you want. I don’t know if it’s really what other people will like but I’m happier with it for myself anyway.

Just one small problem with it at the moment is that I’m new to creating in DS and used the auto rig and when the neck bends it isn’t totally following the bend but instead floating a little above, not sure how to fix it?

There’s a post with pictures about it over on my website if anybody is interested.

I’m hoping to have it finished and released with the headcollar a a Christmas pressie if I get the work on my website out of the way in time smile

Image Attachments
lfg-DH2-Vue-002b-002.jpg
 Signature 

LadyfyreGraphics Online:

Posted: 08 December 2012 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09
KSamarra - 02 December 2012 11:18 PM

I’m having the same problem in Poser. Here are the changes you need to make:

PART                   BEFORE               AFTER
Body                     Y trans 0                 Y Trans -0.580 (lowers “floating horse”)
rPasternHind           Bend -25                 Bend 0
rHoofHind               Bend -8                 Bend 0
rPasternFore           Bend -25                 Bend 0
rHoofFore               Bend 1                   Bend 0

(then do the same for the left)

Does anyone know how to write a script in Poser to do this translation automatically?

Thank you for that, it’s very annoying that it loads floating in mid air lol.

Signature 

LadyfyreGraphics Online:

1 of 3

[ Bug Report      Camera Bag ]