Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
We need a better gallery than R.com
Posted: 27 November 2012 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4687
Joined  2011-11-25

I’m kinda done with Rendo. Used to shop there more, but prices are high, and the content is increasingly not to my taste.

DeviantArt. I don’t like the name. Really don’t. I think artists face enough prejudice without that moniker. Some great art there though, no doubt. Just don’t like the name of it, and won’t post there.

Posted: 27 November 2012 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2167
Joined  2003-10-09

i always mentally add another T, Deviant Tart

Posted: 27 November 2012 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1121
Joined  2010-09-19

Yeah, DA is the place for me, especially as I’ll often mix digital painting with 3D renders or sometimes even get stuck in with wacom tablet and blank canvas, so an all-encompassing art site is better for me.

I do my fair share of nude pin-ups as well as mainstream work, but DA has a good filter system, so my deviantART page should still be safe to visit…  http://jv-andrew.deviantart.com/gallery/

Signature 

My deviantART page
My ShareCG freebies
Some of my music

Posted: 27 November 2012 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  667
Joined  2007-05-26

Why did they come up with the name Deviant Art….. not a name you want to have showing up in your email on certain computers.

Signature 

If I want to be a fool then I will be a fool! That is my God given right as an American!

—- Jason from True Blood

Posted: 27 November 2012 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4687
Joined  2011-11-25
MrPoser - 27 November 2012 01:53 PM

Why did they come up with the name Deviant Art….. not a name you want to have showing up in your email on certain computers.

IDK, but I agree, totally.

Posted: 27 November 2012 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2006-05-25

There are a lot of Poser/DS-centric groups at deviantART and there are so many features that I fear will never (in my lifetime) be available at most other galleries. It’s easy to respond to comments, keep track of favorite artists, and basically do whatever you want within reason. People finding me via deviantART then going to my website is how I’ve made some great commission work including a book cover. It’s hard to get noticed there though, it’s so big. Still, you submit your art to most or all of the Poser/DS groups plus whatever other groups fit the theme of the image and you’ll get it noticed by people who will favorite or comment or even buy prints which is always awesome.

If you’re a Poser user, Smith Micro has its own Poser group on dA. I love getting noticed by them! smile

I still submit to Renderosity though. I have some regulars who often comment and I’d rather not just abandon them all.

I don’t remember now if my dA gallery link is in my sig or not… here it is just in case: http://d9studios.deviantart.com/

Signature 

~Lizzie P.
Visit Dream 9 Studios for art, graphic novels, and more.
My RDNA Store | My Renderosity Store
Facebook | Twitter | deviantART

Posted: 27 November 2012 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3101
Joined  2009-02-24

I’ve had a DeviantArt account for a while and have never used Renderosity’s gallery, though I do have an account with them largely for purchases. I’ve heard some people dislike it, and its their choice to do so. That being said, I’ve never really had any issue with DA’s policies or otherwise. I’ve got plenty of space to upload high quality files and even options to watermark my images should I ever deem them sale worthy.

I suppose one of the big upsides of DeviantArt is that you get to show off your creations with a wide audience. Criticism and compliments alike are all welcomed (generally speaking) and I’ve found the community so far quite welcoming. Join us. Become part of the family. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Futile.

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt
Download my free IBL presets for Luxus
Re-upload of Cresent’s awesome pwToon shaders
Create your own Smart Content

Posted: 27 November 2012 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2012-02-07
MrPoser - 27 November 2012 01:53 PM

I’d assume someone thought they were being “clever”.

I personally don’t have a page yet.  I’m mainly holding out until I get a better computer so I can do more of what I was wanting to do with art.

Signature 

Black is Beautiful II - a repository of links and rendering tips for darker skinned characters

Posted: 27 November 2012 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  2005-11-27

If you just want an art gallery, why not use Photobucket? I generally like Rendo, but they have warned me a couple of times for what I felt was completely silly reasons, especially given the fact I almost never do anything remotely risque. DA is fine, but it’s kind of “pervert art” central, which doesn’t make me feel like my art fits in there.

Signature 

The Revolution is coming…

==========================================================

“The universe is big. It’s vast and complicated and… ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles…”

- The 10th Doctor, Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens (Series 5, Episode 12)

Posted: 27 November 2012 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2303
Joined  2010-12-18

dA is an art site with personality, it’s never been a Fine Art America or what not. The users are deviants, and post deviations. There is a quote/chat feature called dAmnit. If terms like these offend people they certainly need not sign up. But in the process of avoiding said deviants you will miss out on a ton of art, stock resources, tutorials and artists themselves.

Yes there is a lot of traffic in dA but that’s because it attracts a lot of non artists and casual artist, so you can get some exposure there.

It’s hard to read a digital art magazine that doesn’t reference deviant art because it’s such a good resource.

To people outside of art perhaps the site name is an eye opener, but at least it’s an honest depiction of what you can expect there. dA is not exclusively about fine art, it’s about all kinds of stuff including webpage design.

Some people don’t consider things like pottery,tats, jewelry, webpages and dolls art. The purpose of the site has always been to be more encompassing than other places, but if you want to find a niche and stick to it you can. I have two accounts, one for my topless elves, and another for my dog photos.

So even if you don’t consider yourself a deviant you can still have a good time if you can get past the name.

Signature 

My deviantArt Pinup Gallery

Posted: 27 November 2012 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2003-10-09

The problem I’ve run into with Photobucket is they have monthly bandwidth limits.  If you go over, your account is suspended until the next month.  (I believe it counts from when you joined, not the calendar month.) 

The limits do not apply to paid accounts, but I’m assuming we’re talking free galleries here.

Posted: 27 November 2012 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18
TheWheelMan - 27 November 2012 02:38 PM

If you just want an art gallery, why not use Photobucket? I generally like Rendo, but they have warned me a couple of times for what I felt was completely silly reasons, especially given the fact I almost never do anything remotely risque. DA is fine, but it’s kind of “pervert art” central, which doesn’t make me feel like my art fits in there.

DeviantArt is a social site and they have circles for all types of art. While you can find a lot of “pervert art” there are a lot of traditional artists there as well. It’s really not possible for your art not to fit in, but if you simply want to post images on the net something like photobucket works.

Signature 

Posted: 27 November 2012 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18

And if you don’t want to see “pervy” stuff make an account and set the filters accordingly. Secondly find some groups you like and just visit those. A small percentage of the most popular section of the main site will always have a bit of TnA, but with filters most of them will be hidden. I say most because it can be risque without violating the rules, and some people are offended when the see a cute womans face uncovered so ya never know what might set someone off.

Signature 

Posted: 27 November 2012 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  284
Joined  2008-08-09
TheWheelMan - 27 November 2012 02:38 PM

You better read the terms of service at Photobucket - it’s very clear that you are giving away your copyright to anything you post there which is linked to, or posted somewhere else, or made public - it even says others are allowed to take your images and make print-on-demand products and sell them.

Posted: 27 November 2012 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  284
Joined  2008-08-09

The word deviant gives artists the permission to post art that is not mainstream in taste.

I love Rosity’s galleries.  I love the images and I love browsing through them.  I don’t know what it’s like from the perspective of someone who posts work there because I don’t.

Seductionostomy or whatever it’s called will post nude+ images.

2 of 3