Digital Art Zone

1 of 9
Blender and DAZ figures
Posted: 27 November 2012 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  386
Joined  2008-07-18

I haven’t looked into this for a couple of years, so thought I’d ask if there’s a workable pipeline between DAZ figures/props/pz2 files and the latest version of Blender.  (I know you can export objects, but I’m looking for a consistent way to get figures in with their morphs and textures intact, and would also need a convenient way of applying single frame and animated poses.  Didn’t know if FBX exporter or some other format captured all this in a reproducible manner.  Thanks for any information.

Posted: 27 November 2012 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  548
Joined  2007-08-14

I’m curious about this too.

A few days ago I tried exporting Genesis to Blender via Collada, and the result was a posable figure. Trouble is, some important bits are lost in the translation and as a result the joint bends tend to look pretty awful. I don’t have any experience in Blender rigging and can’t say how much effort it would take to achieve the result you get in DAZ Studio.

I haven’t tried this with Poser figures, and of course other possibilities may exist. Last I checked Blender didn’t import FBX.

Signature 

These are not the tutorials you’re looking for. Move along.
My old profile

Posted: 27 November 2012 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2006-11-17

I have seen a DS scene exporter for Blender:- https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts/mcjteleblender-for-ds1-2-3-4

I have not used it, as I do not currently use DAZ characters.

Posted: 27 November 2012 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07

You’d have to weight paint it in Blender to get even similar results posing. That is genesis big thing, the weight mapping.

Posted: 27 November 2012 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1059
Joined  2007-10-15
Steve athome - 27 November 2012 10:25 AM

I have seen a DS scene exporter for Blender:- https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts/mcjteleblender-for-ds1-2-3-4

I have not used it, as I do not currently use DAZ characters.

Now who says that software developers aren’t also excellent marketers? The name of this exporter is “mcjTeleBlender”

Huh? Geez, guy, at least give it a name that makes some sense to someone other than another code jockey.

Anyway, I’ve never used it, know nothing about it, but something like this is desperately needed for Blender. Content sales for DAZ would soar, although it would probably sound the death knell for Carrara.

Though I’m not holding my breath. Typically import/export stuff like this is hugely difficult to get right, if not impossible. I may give it a try….

Posted: 27 November 2012 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  214
Joined  2007-03-03

I haven’t used this, but here it is, for what it’s worth.

http://www.blender3dclub.com/posertools/

Signature 

-Kodiak3d

“I wonder what tomorrow has in mind for me, or am I even in its mind at all?”
- “Crystal Ball” by Styx

Posted: 27 November 2012 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15

If you google “blender daz poser” you get some good info.

Here’s a blog discussing one guy’s attempts:

http://maddieman.wordpress.com/2012/04/23/exporting-daz-studio-4-figures-to-blender/

As expected the results seem pretty limited, though I just scanned it a bit. There are a few blog entries from this week, so it seems pretty current.

Posted: 27 November 2012 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15

And here’s a tutorial step-by-step for DAZ to Blender…

http://www.art-tech.it/html/tutorial_export_daz3d_to_blender_2_5.pdf

Posted: 27 November 2012 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4659
Joined  2008-03-06
Kodiak3D - 27 November 2012 05:04 PM

I never got those to work right on full biped figures. :p

I’d certainly like to know if anyone gets this to work without manual rerigging, since I already use Blender for my modeling, simming and some texturing (disp mapping of wrinkles and so on).  A manual rerig shouldn’t really be needed, though - Blender’s native rigging is much more similar to weight mapping than to the old cr2 joint falloffs.  If anything, DAZ is catching up to Blender in that regard.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 27 November 2012 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2006-03-22

Blender’s main attraction historically is sticking it to the man, which precludes paying for things like content, so I doubt that Blender users would ever be a big market for Daz products. It’s also got one of the most notoriously counter-intuitive interfaces in cg, even after it’s recent overhaul.

Not good for content users that prize ease of use.

Posted: 27 November 2012 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15
_transient - 27 November 2012 07:03 PM

Blender’s main attraction historically is sticking it to the man, which precludes paying for things like content, so I doubt that Blender users would ever be a big market for Daz products..

Not sure what you mean by “sticking it to the man”, but DAZ Studio has been free for a very long time, and, presumably, in spite of that (ie, attracting the the ‘freebie grabbers’) a lot of guys are still willing to pay $19.95 for some content. But maybe you’re right…maybe the typical Blender user, in spite of being the typical market of young males who typically are into this kind of thing, refuses to pay a dime for anything, even that cool fantasy world stuff that young guys think is cool.

Posted: 27 November 2012 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4659
Joined  2008-03-06
_transient - 27 November 2012 07:03 PM

Blender’s main attraction historically is sticking it to the man, which precludes paying for things like content, so I doubt that Blender users would ever be a big market for Daz products. It’s also got one of the most notoriously counter-intuitive interfaces in cg, even after it’s recent overhaul.

Not good for content users that prize ease of use.

Au contraire.  Some of us are already using Blender as part of a Poser/DAZ content pipeline (including PAs like yrs. truly).  And of course there will always be a certain number of people who will choose free over ease of use even in this market - we’ve got a lot of layers of customer budget and time investment here.

Add the fact that Blender can produce better renders than 3delight for free, and it could provide an alternative for those unable to pay for Reality but wanting better renders and with things like cloth, fluid and fur sim in addition to their preexisting content.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 27 November 2012 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  456
Joined  2003-10-09

Yep they are anti-establishment in many regards. I have usually regarded Blender users as part of the CGSociety crowd, looking down their noses at pre-made content. But there have been surprises lately of more of them wanting to get Poser and DAZ characters into Blender (EDIT: I see Sickle Yield just posted)... but often it seems to be people who already had Poser or DAZ and had moved to Blender to do the special effects stuff.

BTW, OctaneRender is officially released - the DAZ plugins are still being worked on… one free and one paid for.  face-off has the Poser plugin beta available for purchase there. Tugpsx who is working on the freebie for Studio has said before he plans on working on a Carrara plugin once the Studio plugin is released.

Posted: 27 November 2012 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15
Kevin Sanderson - 27 November 2012 07:26 PM

Yep they are anti-establishment in many regards. I have usually regarded Blender users as part of the CGSociety crowd, looking down their noses at pre-made content. .

Ahhh, okay…now I get it.

I guess I had misjudged Blender’s market. But yeah, now I know what you guys are referring to. The “nose-looker-downers”.  smile

I was always wondering why there didn’t seem to be a huge amount of activity with import/export between DAZ/Poser/Blender, but now it makes some sense. As we used to say, “cooties”.

Posted: 27 November 2012 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
SickleYield - 27 November 2012 07:00 PM
Kodiak3D - 27 November 2012 05:04 PM

I never got those to work right on full biped figures. :p

I’d certainly like to know if anyone gets this to work without manual rerigging, since I already use Blender for my modeling, simming and some texturing (disp mapping of wrinkles and so on).  A manual rerig shouldn’t really be needed, though - Blender’s native rigging is much more similar to weight mapping than to the old cr2 joint falloffs.  If anything, DAZ is catching up to Blender in that regard.

I did…once…with 2.49.

But I’m not entirely sure HOW I got it to work…it just did.  After that one time, no matter what, I couldn’t get it do work correctly.

Going back and forth isn’t that difficult.  I’ve found it works best to create a folder for each item/scene and make sure everything is in it…geometry files, mtl file, textures…everything.  The less hunting around Blender has to do to find things, the more likely it is to find them (less chance of path/directory errors…which are the most common causes of ‘lost’ textures).

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 27 November 2012 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  456
Joined  2003-10-09

One of the guys working on getting Poser stuff into Blender has mentioned before all the delays caused by Blender code always changing and breaking things. And he’s getting paid by someone with some money to burn to get it done… almost 2 years later…

1 of 9