Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Rigging clothing for Genesis (Learning)
Posted: 25 November 2012 11:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4939
Joined  2009-02-26

I’ve been working on a pair of boots for genesis based on some concept art I did in the past. I’ve spent a good month modeling it, researching and refining the geometry.

I’m in the rigging stage in Daz 4.5 pro… I planned to follow this tutorial video on youtube -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJIa55eSDZY&feature=plcp

I have transferred the rigging from a pair of boots I have of similar type, which allows it to conform to genesis figure and it can now be posed, and has all the bones necessary to function. My problem is that I cannot follow through the tutorial, the joint editor tool is completely different in DS4.5 to DS4.0 (At least visually by layout). It seems I can only adjust the “Center and End points”

I need to adjust the affect rotations has on the model… You can see why in the attached images. (The lower strap distorts really badly, and foot length morphs make some distortions on the soul of the boot)

FYI - I also have Genesis Clothing Resource Kit, though there seems to be nothing in regards to footwear. I read through the short tutorial with that, and I am still left baffled.

Thanks for any help smile

Image Attachments
Boots_V2Materials_test_P.pngBoots_Rigging.jpgBoots_Rigging_2.jpg
 Signature 

- SpyroRue’s Deviant Art -

Posted: 26 November 2012 01:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2267
Joined  2005-09-05
Spyro - 25 November 2012 11:30 PM

I’ve been working on a pair of boots for genesis based on some concept art I did in the past. I’ve spent a good month modeling it, researching and refining the geometry.

I’m in the rigging stage in Daz 4.5 pro… I planned to follow this tutorial video on youtube -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJIa55eSDZY&feature=plcp

I have transferred the rigging from a pair of boots I have of similar type, which allows it to conform to genesis figure and it can now be posed, and has all the bones necessary to function. My problem is that I cannot follow through the tutorial, the joint editor tool is completely different in DS4.5 to DS4.0 (At least visually by layout). It seems I can only adjust the “Center and End points”

I need to adjust the affect rotations has on the model… You can see why in the attached images. (The lower strap distorts really badly, and foot length morphs make some distortions on the soul of the boot)

FYI - I also have Genesis Clothing Resource Kit, though there seems to be nothing in regards to footwear. I read through the short tutorial with that, and I am still left baffled.

Thanks for any help smile

Not sure if I can help…but have you tried using the transfer utility with genesis as the donor and then adjusting the bones?

Sickle yields tutorial for rigging skirts does that and then removes the bones not required and renames the leg bones…have a look at it and see if that helps at all. There should be a link in a stickies link somewhere. I’m pretty sure RKane had it in there list on clothing creation tutorials.

Great job with the boots by the way!

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 26 November 2012 01:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5130
Joined  2008-03-06

You can try painting the weight maps to the shin more in that front area.  It’s in the Building tab,or select the weight map tool (it looks like a paintbrush) and have a Tool tab up to look at for settings.  The forward/back bend is the xrotate.  Red is 100% and blue is 0.  That might even just be caused by bulge settings, though, so I’d delete those first if they are present.

Whichever bone is selected in the Scene tab is the one whose settings you will see in the Tool tab.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 26 November 2012 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

Thanks guys! I just discovered Daz’s weight map tutorial video on youtube, while I was looking for possible solutions.  I do agree Sickle, it looks like it’s weight mapping that I need to be using. I’ll look for Sickles tutorial… which forum is it in may I ask?

Pendraia I considered using genesis as the rigging donor… wasn’t sure how to go about getting rid of inappropriate bones. I’ll give it a go, it might work better as a starting point for me. And thank you for your praise smile

And thanks very much Sickle cheese

Signature 

Posted: 26 November 2012 01:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06

I don’t think it will help, since I didn’t cover weight painting, but here it is.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 26 November 2012 01:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

Thanks, it will be good for reference of other items in that case.

Genesis as a donor for the rigging worked beautifully. I’m going to play around with weight maps and see If I can get it to work tongue laugh

Signature 

Posted: 26 November 2012 01:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05
Spyro - 26 November 2012 01:33 AM

Genesis as a donor for the rigging worked beautifully. I’m going to play around with weight maps and see If I can get it to work tongue laugh

Glad that it helped.  If Sickle’s here she knows way more than me and weight painting would most likely be useful also…I haven’t tried that myself yet!

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 26 November 2012 02:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06
Pendraia - 26 November 2012 01:43 AM

Glad that it helped.  If Sickle’s here she knows way more than me and weight painting would most likely be useful also…I haven’t tried that myself yet!

Don’t sell yourself short.  It’s not something I even use on every item - for a lot of things the transfer utility is just fine.  It’s good to know for situations like the present or for some kinds of skirts, definitely,but it’s not precise enough to just use on everything all the time.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 26 November 2012 03:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05
SickleYield - 26 November 2012 02:17 AM
Pendraia - 26 November 2012 01:43 AM

Don’t sell yourself short.  It’s not something I even use on every item - for a lot of things the transfer utility is just fine.  It’s good to know for situations like the present or for some kinds of skirts, definitely,but it’s not precise enough to just use on everything all the time.

Thanks…I must admit that so far the transfer utility has done what I need so far! I just wish I had the time at the moment to learn more. I’m counting the days to Christmas holidays 19 more work days to go : )

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 26 November 2012 04:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

Thanks guys… I had to do some things before I could start with Weight mapping. Question… Is there an erase brush in weight mapping? I just want to tweak the original weight map rather than completely remove it and start over.

I cant wait to see what you work on Pendraia, from what I’ve seen you do, you’re very good. I think weight mapping would really make you shine smile

Signature 

Posted: 26 November 2012 04:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

NM I worked it out… I had to hold the Alt key LMAO!

Signature 

Posted: 26 November 2012 05:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

WOW Weight mapping is great!

Image Attachments
Boots_weight_mapped.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 26 November 2012 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14771
Joined  2003-10-09

Joint Editor has only the centre/end point mode when working with a TriAx figure as the other settings are for parametric/legacy rigging - if you were working on a figure of that type you would get the other options too.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 26 November 2012 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

I see now. Genesis is a weight mapped figure, so all Gn clothing needs to be wight mapped too? None the less, it is very effective, I’m rather very surprised at how simple it is to do.

Signature 

Posted: 26 November 2012 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06
Spyro - 26 November 2012 06:03 AM

I see now. Genesis is a weight mapped figure, so all Gn clothing needs to be wight mapped too? None the less, it is very effective, I’m rather very surprised at how simple it is to do.

Good, I’m glad it’s working for you. grin  Yes, it can be a very nice and useful tool, especially if you get to making custom creatures or other such figures and the symmetry and alignment features come into play.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 26 November 2012 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

So sickle, now that it’s weight mapped, it now conforms to genesis and moves with genesis pretty well, i’ve already textured it, what am i supposed to do next? Clothing seems so different to props lol

Signature 

1 of 3