5 of 7
Is Carrara dead?
Posted: 26 November 2012 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1067
Joined  2007-10-15

Okay, hold on…

With Evil’s new photo there’s more gossip…

I count about 80 cars in the parking lot. Divided by 4 floors that’s 20 people per floor. Hmm….

So if there are, say, 20 suites per floor, that means DAZ is now comprised of only ONE person in the whole company.

Okay, this isn’t looking good.

Now, on the other hand, maybe they’ve leased the whole building and are using 224 as the mailing address, and all 80 are DAZ employees.

Nah, I doubt it. I think they’ve leased the whole floor and they have 20 people working there. Maybe less. Maybe more like 10 people.

Posted: 26 November 2012 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  193
Joined  2007-03-03

I suspect it’s all just fluff.  DAZ doesn’t actually have an office there, they just have their mail delivered there to throw off frustrated Carrara users.  Their REAL compound is an old missile silo out in the desert.  I saw it on Doomsday Preppers.

Signature 

-Kodiak3d

“I wonder what tomorrow has in mind for me, or am I even in its mind at all?”
- “Crystal Ball” by Styx

Posted: 26 November 2012 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1399
Joined  2011-01-03
evilproducer - 26 November 2012 08:16 PM

There could be practical reasons they moved. Who’s to say they owned the building in Draper? Maybe Salt Lake was more attractive to their talent base? Maybe available tax benefits to relocate? Personally, I’m not that worried about it.

AAAAAGH!! The sound of reason is deafening me! smile

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 26 November 2012 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6026
Joined  2006-08-27
Kodiak3D - 26 November 2012 08:40 PM

I suspect it’s all just fluff.  DAZ doesn’t actually have an office there, they just have their mail delivered there to throw off frustrated Carrara users.  Their REAL compound is an old missile silo out in the desert.  I saw it on Doomsday Preppers.

It’s not uncommon to have different company locations for different divisions, or even different aspects of their business. Perhaps Draper is where the code jockeys work and Salt Lake is sales/marketing. Might also be their phone banks or just corporate offices. They did have that big merger a couple years ago. I was never sure who bought who though…

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 26 November 2012 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
JoeMamma2000 - 26 November 2012 08:37 PM

I count about 80 cars in the parking lot. Divided by 4 floors that’s 20 people per floor. Hmm….

Bravo sir! You have taken it to a whole new level.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

Posted: 26 November 2012 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
Kodiak3D - 26 November 2012 08:40 PM

Oh oh! Brinkmanship at play. The ball (nuclear device?) is in Joe’s court now.

Ducking under my desk in 3…2…1…

Signature 

- Garstor

Posted: 26 November 2012 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15

Okay, more info coming in….

It’s a renovated candy factory. Seriously.

I’m thinking Willie Wonka and Oompa Loompa ??

And the suite is #250, not #224. Which means there could be 50 offices on the floor. Which means DAZ has one employee in a 3ft. x 3ft. office.

More to come….

Oh, and there are other people leasing offices on that floor, so it’s not just DAZ.

Posted: 26 November 2012 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  193
Joined  2007-03-03

So…now we know DAZ’s REAL plan.  They’re going to revolutionize the candy industry with 3D virtual candy!  Think of the money you could make selling a virtual candy app.

Signature 

-Kodiak3d

“I wonder what tomorrow has in mind for me, or am I even in its mind at all?”
- “Crystal Ball” by Styx

Posted: 26 November 2012 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15

I think it has become very clear…

DAZ Corporation is actually run, and staffed, by a 3foot tall Oompa Loompa, who operates out of a tiny, 3ft by 3ft office in a candy factory in Salt Lake City, Utah.

And the echoes of “oompa loompa, loompa dee dee…” echo throughout the building as he does his work. And all the other people working in the building stop by for free candy during their coffee break.

Posted: 26 November 2012 10:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  652
Joined  2004-11-12
evilproducer - 26 November 2012 08:09 PM
JoeMamma2000 - 26 November 2012 06:55 PM
bobh - 26 November 2012 05:45 PM

DAZ3D is no longer in a nice spiffy looking building in Draper, they moved to an old building on Salt Lake City.  Also not a good sign.

Interesting… I didn’t know that…

But you’re right, the new address is “224 South 200 West #250, Salt Lake City, UT 84101 USA”

Could some kind person do us a favor and fire up Google Maps or Google Earth and do a street view of the building and post it so we can see what the new place looks like? I tried, but my internet is slower than molasses in January on the North Pole during an ice storm after the molasses has been sitting outside all night long.

Here it is. Street view and overhead:

In the second image, note the name of the company associated with the building. A quick Google search gives you Tomax Corporation “a boutique, retail solutions development company headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah. Our solution, Retail.net, is the leading cloud-based retail solutions suite available to retailers in North America. Tomax services the needs of retailers representing over 25,000 stores and has enjoyed over 20 years of success and growth.” (http://www.retail.net/).

Hmmmm…............

Signature 

My Rendo Gallery
My RDNA Gallery
My DAZ 3D Gallery

Posted: 26 November 2012 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15
dustrider - 26 November 2012 10:34 PM

In the second image, note the name of the company associated with the building. A quick Google search gives you Tomax Corporation “a boutique, retail solutions development company headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah. Our solution, Retail.net, is the leading cloud-based retail solutions suite available to retailers in North America. Tomax services the needs of retailers representing over 25,000 stores and has enjoyed over 20 years of success and growth.” (http://www.retail.net/).

Hmmmm…............

Yeah, actually the name on the front of the building is a bank, which I presume is on most of the first floor. There’s a bunch of other tenants in the building, and if you google the address you’ll see a bunch. I’m guessing Tomax is just another tenant, and I think they’re listed with an address on a different floor from the Oompa Loompas.

There’s what looks like a fairly large landscape architect firm also on the first floor….

Hey, I found a pdf from a real estate agent listing their building, which is called the “Sweet Candy Building” and it has photos and layout diagrams. And it shows Suite 250, which takes up most of the half of the second floor. So there’s room for a whole bunch of Oompa Loompas, as well as Willie Wonka himself.

http://www.comre.com/flyers/ABeddard/Old Flyers/224_S_200_W-Ste_215.pdf

I feel better now….

Posted: 26 November 2012 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15

And it looks like they’re paying something like $4,000 a month in lease ($16 per square foot per year, and I’m guessing 3,000 square feet). Wow, not bad for office space in a big city.

Posted: 27 November 2012 01:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2004-11-03
JoeMamma2000 - 25 November 2012 01:39 PM

I don’t think it’s quite dead…yet…

But I think DAZ has made it very clear that it is no longer a software development company. In other words they no longer rely on revenue from the software they sell, but only from the content they sell. By giving away almost all of their software for free, that’s what they are saying.

And that’s not good.

And let’s face it, Carrara is so far behind the times in terms of features that people will pay money for that it’s kind of embarrassing. And trying to compete with Blender is almost impossible.

Now, if Carrara had some awesome features and was on the cutting edge, then maybe you could carve out a real, sustainable market of higher-end hobbyists who would pay for it. But the way it stands now, who is going to pay for Carrara? If someone asked you “Why should I spend all that money on Carrara?”, what would you say? Which is probably why you see such deep discounts on Carrara lately.

Pick just about any feature of Carrara, and you can find free software that does it better.

I think that the bottom line for all of DAZ’s software is that any future development (if there is any) is going to be directed at attracting content sales, so you’ll see “features” in Carrara and the rest of DAZ’s software whose main purpose is to implement new content developments. Stuff like Genesis (a new type of content) and other new content developments. Future development will be in content features, not software features. Because they don’t make money on software, they make money on content.

Which begs the question: “If DAZ makes their money on content sales, then why would they hire developers to work on software, instead of directing them to work on developing new content?”. 

Personally, my guess is that in 2013 Carrara will be offered for free (or close to it), and it will wither away. And when (or if) Blender gets the ability to natively handle content, Carrara will become irrelevant.

These were my sediments back in the days of Blender 2.49, I never could understand how DAZ expected customers to spend $500+ dollars on Carrara that can’t even come close to Blender that’s given away for free. Who would really be that stupid?

As for Apple, let’s face it - people only use Apple’s to be “seen” using an Apple. These Apple fans are constantly badmouthing PC’s and Windows yet everytime I’m in a forum about a particular piece of software the only people really complaining they can’t get the software to work properly are the Apple users. I have yet to ever have ANY problems with my trusty PC.

Carrara, in my opinion needs a complete makeover from top to bottom. Ditch the whole “separate room” thing, and integrate everything into a single work area for starters.

If C doesn’t start catching up with software like Blender, it’s days are definitely numbered. And it should probably be put down like a sick animal if it can no longer remain at least somewhat viable.

And don’t give me the nonsense that C would cost even more if they added a bunch of new feature because Blender does it on a regular basis and is still FREE.

I also don’t want to hear the ridiculous arguments that Blender can do that because of it’s software is constantly maintained and updated by willing 3rd party programmers - well then maybe DAZ should make the C SDK less convoluted and a downright pain in the arse to use with it’s almost completely useless manuals that really haven’t been updated since C2 AFAIK. Where’s the plugin “wizard” that never came to fruition that’s STILL mentioned in the SDK manual?

Carrara would probably have all kinds of new features if the SDK wasn’t so offputting.

Posted: 27 November 2012 03:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2008-01-22

I just know that, if Carrara “dies”, because Daz prefers pampering their economical more attractive DazStudio-Baby (which is understandable) - I will rather stick to the old Carrara 8 Pro and go on with Blender or ZBrush to help myself with things Carrara can’t do or can’t do comfortably.

But I hope that Carrara won’t die and that Daz at least would rather sell Carrara to someone else who will keep working on it.
After all, Daz still earns good money on Carrara Content as well.

Plus. Carrara is a real Jack of all Trades. It can do a lot great things you simply can’t do with Poser or DazStudio at all or at least not as comfortable. (imho as content user and wannabe-modeller)
Mouse Navigation, Mesh Manipulation, Object/Prop Editing, Shading, Posing usw… it’s far more comfortable to do in Carrara.
And honestly, I can’t remember that it is even possible to directly manipulate the mesh in Poser or DazStudio. You can’t even really create something from scratch in there or make something new out of something old…

The whole Menu/GUI of Carrara doesn’t cover half of your workspace, like in DazStudio, Poser and even Bryce. You have a lot room to see your whole scene and you can navigate your camera through it without getting cramps in your hand… and you can pose your figures or manipulate things directly with your mouse, without using annoying wheel-/slide bars.

But that’s just my 2 Cents as a content user who came into the 3D world with Poser and ended up with Carrara ^^

Posted: 27 November 2012 04:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15

Well, no matter what we hope for, once 8.5 comes out next year, it’ll probably be a very long time until we find out what’s next in store for Carrara. Maybe 2014 until the next version with any substantial changes/improvements comes out? So if you’re anything like me, and not real thrilled with what 8.5 delivers (for me, it’s pretty much a non-event), then it’s gonna be quite a while before you’ll have any chance to be thrilled again.

Unless someone thinks that the Ninjas have secretly been working on an awesome C9.0 that’s right around the corner….

Otherwise, I think it’s gonna be just a bunch of real hardcore fans who stick around. We’ll see…..

5 of 7