Digital Art Zone

4 of 7
Is Carrara dead?
Posted: 26 November 2012 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

but if anyone has a rational reason why I’m wrong I’d love to hear it.

read what I wrote,.

Posted: 26 November 2012 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  217
Joined  2007-03-03

I can’t help but think that a lot of this is coming at things from the wrong angle.  Carrara has the potential to be the most versatile 3D suite on the market due to its ease of use with DAZ/Poser content.  None of the “big league” 3D programs have that, and it’s an attractive thing to a lot of people.  I know it takes time and money to update software, but as Plautus said, “You must spend money to make money.”  I think DAZ is foolish for not making Carrara into what it could be and advertising the hell out of it mags like 3D World and such.

Signature 

-Kodiak3d

“I wonder what tomorrow has in mind for me, or am I even in its mind at all?”
- “Crystal Ball” by Styx

Posted: 26 November 2012 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  160
Joined  2008-12-02

Its always frustrating when we discuss Daz and Carrara . It seems Daz is trying to get what they want into a next version and not so sure its everything anyone else wants but that’s just the way it is.

You can wish, hope , beg for something more cool or improved but in the end——we will get what Daz thinks make them the most money.  They might be wrong but its their dime.

And then despite it all——we all know its still a really cool 3d application that can do alot——and do it fast.  We just all have some of our favorite spots that could use improvement that are unlikely to get addressed anytime soon and it makes you want to whine.

Signature 

Rich

Favorite items   Cararra   - Modo -    Animation Master-    Houdini

Posted: 26 November 2012 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1387
Joined  2011-01-03
3dView - 26 November 2012 06:31 PM

Its always frustrating when we discuss Daz and Carrara . It seems Daz is trying to get what they want into a next version and not so sure its everything anyone else wants but that’s just the way it is.

You can wish, hope , beg for something more cool or improved but in the end——we will get what Daz thinks make them the most money.  They might be wrong but its their dime.

That’s one of the sanest looks at the issue I’ve seen.

Kodiak is pretty much spot-on too—Carrara could be a force for good in this world even if we never see a Hollywood blockbuster that uses it. A little more advertising a development polish is all it needs.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 26 November 2012 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1059
Joined  2007-10-15
bobh - 26 November 2012 05:45 PM

DAZ3D is no longer in a nice spiffy looking building in Draper, they moved to an old building on Salt Lake City.  Also not a good sign.

Interesting… I didn’t know that…

But you’re right, the new address is “224 South 200 West #250, Salt Lake City, UT 84101 USA”

Could some kind person do us a favor and fire up Google Maps or Google Earth and do a street view of the building and post it so we can see what the new place looks like? I tried, but my internet is slower than molasses in January on the North Pole during an ice storm after the molasses has been sitting outside all night long.

Posted: 26 November 2012 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15
Kodiak3D - 26 November 2012 06:02 PM

It could just be me, but I think that IS his point.  His exceptions to your analogy are themselves an anology.  Everything has an exception, including your view of where Carrara is headed.

Only in the Carrara Forum can a clarifying analogy actually result in more confusion than without it…  smile

My simple, basic point was this: “Markets and tastes change”. And what DAZ did before, years ago, may no longer apply because conditions change.

Nobody in their right mind could argue that’s not true. It IS generally true. And my analogies were merely simplifying examples towards that point.

Whether someone invented skateboards when I was a kid, or just “re-discovered” them, or just “unearthed” them makes ABSOLUTELY no difference, whatsoever, to the point. Whether you can list people who gave away free software or not, years ago, makes ABSOLUTELY no difference, whatsoever, to the point.

Markets and tastes change. And businesses must change to keep up with the changing demands of their customers.

Nobody in their right mind could argue that’s not true. It IS generally true.

So if DAZ bought software years ago, don’t be surprised if market changes has forced them to do something different in the future. Is that really that difficult to understand?

And no, I’m not attacking you, Kodiak3D, or anyone else. It is just so incredibly frustrating trying to have a rational discussion here.

Posted: 26 November 2012 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15
Garstor - 26 November 2012 06:42 PM

A little more advertising a development polish is all it needs.

Good point. Piece of cake.

Have that on my desk in the morning…  smile

Posted: 26 November 2012 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-03-03
JoeMamma2000 - 26 November 2012 06:55 PM

Could some kind person do us a favor and fire up Google Maps or Google Earth and do a street view of the building and post it so we can see what the new place looks like?

Well, I’m not going to post a pic of it (I just don’t feel like going through the trouble), but DAZ’s name isn’t even on the front of the building.  In fact, there’s not much on the front of the building at all.  There does appear to be a decent pub and a Japanese restaraunt nearby, at least grin

Signature 

-Kodiak3d

- “Crystal Ball” by Styx

Posted: 26 November 2012 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
JoeMamma2000 - 26 November 2012 07:10 PM
Garstor - 26 November 2012 06:42 PM

A little more advertising a development polish is all it needs.

Good point. Piece of cake.

Have that on my desk in the morning…  smile

Actually that should read “and development polish” but there is little point in correcting the original post now that it has been quoted… smile

Yep - it’s been one of Those Days.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

Posted: 26 November 2012 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03

Could some kind person do us a favor and fire up Google Maps or Google Earth and do a street view of the building and post it so we can see what the new place looks like?

Here ya go.

Maybe the Carrara devs get blotto on saki and nigiri after reading our rants?

Image Attachments
Daz_map.jpg
 Signature 

- Garstor

Posted: 26 November 2012 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5452
Joined  2006-08-27
bobh - 26 November 2012 05:45 PM

DAZ3D is no longer in a nice spiffy looking building in Draper, they moved to an old building on Salt Lake City.  Also not a good sign.

Interesting… I didn’t know that…

But you’re right, the new address is “224 South 200 West #250, Salt Lake City, UT 84101 USA”

Could some kind person do us a favor and fire up Google Maps or Google Earth and do a street view of the building and post it so we can see what the new place looks like? I tried, but my internet is slower than molasses in January on the North Pole during an ice storm after the molasses has been sitting outside all night long.

Here it is. Street view and overhead:

Image Attachments
Picture_1.pngPicture_2.png
 Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 26 November 2012 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-03-03

Lol, my first thought when I saw that pic was, “That looks like a render of Stonemason’s Urban Sprawl 1.”

Put that one under “Signs you’ve been working with 3D software too long.”

Signature 

-Kodiak3d

- “Crystal Ball” by Styx

Posted: 26 November 2012 08:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
Kodiak3D - 26 November 2012 08:09 PM

Lol, my first thought when I saw that pic was, “That looks like a redner of Stonemason’s Urban Sprawl 1.”

So that’s the real reason they moved out of Draper! cool hmm

Signature 

- Garstor

Posted: 26 November 2012 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5452
Joined  2006-08-27

Garstor, you’re to quick for me!

There could be practical reasons they moved. Who’s to say they owned the building in Draper? Maybe Salt Lake was more attractive to their talent base? Maybe available tax benefits to relocate? Personally, I’m not that worried about it.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 26 November 2012 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15

Excellent, thanks for posting the DAZ location photo.

Now we can start the baseless speculation and random theories.

So if they are on the second floor, I see 6 windows on that floor. And since the building is about as long as it is wide, let’s say there are 6 windows on the other side. Which we could suppose means a total of something like 36 suites on that floor (6x6=36).

And since the listed suite is “224” that means that it’s a fairly reasonable assumption (224 = second floor, room 24).

Now, according to the photo, the space defined by each window is a little larger than a standard parallel parking spot, which is about 9 feet. So let’s call it 10 feet per window. So if each window was a suite, each suite would be 10 feet wide.

So it’s possible that 224 is one of 36 suites that are each only 10’x10’. But that’s doubtful, since you have to allow for hallways and bathrooms and such. In any case, that would give a total floor square footage of 3600 sq. ft. 

Now, maybe the main office suite (#224) is the mailing address, and they’ve also leased a bunch of other suites for the worker bees. That’s possible.

So either they have a single, 10’x10’ office that fits maybe 2 people for the entire DAZ office, or they’ve leased the entire floor, or maybe even more. Or maybe they’ve contracted out much, or most, of their development to India or China or wherever and have only a skeleton crew in Salt Lake for doing the advertising and sales and finance and stuff.

Hell, I dunno, maybe they had to move to a bigger building than the one they had because they need a place to keep all the money they’re getting from all those new customers….....

If someone is in the neighborhood, knock on the door and ask for a tour.

4 of 7