Digital Art Zone

2 of 4
ARGH!!! Norton Antivirus One is eatting my new Daz products!!!
Posted: 25 November 2012 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3414
Joined  2009-08-05
wancow - 25 November 2012 09:41 AM

Okay, McCaffee, Norton and all the rest are craaaaap!

Not kidding, Microsoft Security Essentials

FREEE… it’s also the best.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download

I got rid of Norton a year ago.  Haven’t had a problem since!

AGREE, 100%. I used Avast for years thinking it was the best until I discovered it didn’t detect 4 viruses that have been illegally living on my HD for weeks. I tried MSE. Never looked back. Had those Guys arrested within the first scan. Also its smart enough to know that what you are installing isn’t a virus.

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 25 November 2012 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2006-05-26

Im another user who swears by Microsoft Security Essentials. I gave up on Norton and McAfee long ago, they really suck. MSE does a fantastic job.

However, MSE doesnt prevent everything so a little supplementation is needed. Every once in a while I run scans with Super Anti-Spyware and with Malwarebytes and they do find things MSE might have missed but they are rarely critical level threats. MSE all the way. And it’s free no less, soooooo happy with MSE.

Signature 

Please view my Daz3d User Gallery
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/465/

Posted: 25 November 2012 10:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1860
Joined  2006-02-17

And then ask yourselves… why do you continue to use a system that would even need such measures?

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 25 November 2012 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  548
Joined  2007-08-14
Kendall Sears - 25 November 2012 10:11 PM

And then ask yourselves… why do you continue to use a system that would even need such measures?

Because I like to do stuff (games, Carrara, DAZ Studio) that doesn’t work well (if at all) under Wine. I have used computers some 15+ years mostly without any anti-malware software, and I haven’t had a single instance of malware, unless you want to count SecuROM and the like.

As much as I don’t want to defend Windows, sometimes the only alternative is giving up entirely.

Signature 

These are not the tutorials you’re looking for. Move along.
My old profile

Posted: 25 November 2012 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1615
Joined  2012-01-04

Kendall

Deleted by me.

Signature 

Old Post Count: Maybe 3 or 4.
O/S: Windows 7x64
D/S: 4.6.0.18

Posted: 25 November 2012 10:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
araneldon - 25 November 2012 10:47 PM

Because I like to do stuff (games, Carrara, DAZ Studio) that doesn’t work well (if at all) under Wine. I have used computers some 15+ years mostly without any anti-malware software, and I haven’t had a single instance of malware, unless you want to count SecuROM and the like.

As much as I don’t want to defend Windows, sometimes the only alternative is giving up entirely.

Use the right tool for the job.  Windows works just fine for uses where security is not a concern.  It doesn’t work so well where security is necessary.  So, use Windows where security is not necessary, and don’t use Windows where it is.  There are many ways to do the job, and relying on one tool is rarely the most efficient way.

Wine/Linux are not the right tools for many folks.  Too many people want “bread in, toast out.”  There are other options.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 25 November 2012 11:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-08-14

For some people that makes sense, but for me it’s simply not worth the inconvenience (dual booting, virtual machine) or cost (second workstation).

I might recommend the virtual machine approach to others though.

Signature 

My old profile

Posted: 26 November 2012 12:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
araneldon - 25 November 2012 11:37 PM

For some people that makes sense, but for me it’s simply not worth the inconvenience (dual booting, virtual machine) or cost (second workstation).

Dual booting isn’t the only option.  There are a plethora of “Live Disks” that allow one to boot from a USB or CD/DVD for specific purposes.  ChromeOS/Chromium for instance.  One can leave their Windows install on the HD and use the USB or Optical drive to boot into a more secure environment (one that can still use the Windows partition for downloads) and be better off—for free.

In many cases, the live disks operate faster than the Windows install.  In most cases, people would rather gripe, and spend money on useless “protection”, than to take the little effort to use a better solution that doesn’t have the base problems to start with.  However, tablets are starting to show the sheeple that M$ is not “the way” and that other, sometimes better,  options DO exist.

Kendall

Signature 

Posted: 26 November 2012 12:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  83
Joined  2012-08-14

I am having the same issue with Norton 360 at the moment. I got Victoria 5 the other day with no issues, but now that I got   M5 I’m getting security errors on every single one of his zips. And yes, it   is   basically because not enough of Systematic’s users are cool like us. going to see what options I get.      (sorry for the spacing, the final frontier button is wanting to go where it pleases)

Posted: 26 November 2012 01:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-08-14
Kendall Sears - 26 November 2012 12:25 AM

Dual booting isn’t the only option.  There are a plethora of “Live Disks” that allow one to boot from a USB or CD/DVD for specific purposes.  ChromeOS/Chromium for instance.  One can leave their Windows install on the HD and use the USB or Optical drive to boot into a more secure environment (one that can still use the Windows partition for downloads) and be better off—for free.

In many cases, the live disks operate faster than the Windows install.  In most cases, people would rather gripe, and spend money on useless “protection”, than to take the little effort to use a better solution that doesn’t have the base problems to start with.  However, tablets are starting to show the sheeple that M$ is not “the way” and that other, sometimes better,  options DO exist.

A live disk is practically the same as dual booting.

It’s fine in some situations but too inconvenient in others as it doesn’t allow use of both systems at the same time, so no browsing the web while rendering or playing a game, for example. A virtual machine is a much better solution for regular use.

Signature 

My old profile

Posted: 26 November 2012 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
araneldon - 26 November 2012 01:34 AM
Kendall Sears - 26 November 2012 12:25 AM

A live disk is practically the same as dual booting.

It’s fine in some situations but too inconvenient in others as it doesn’t allow use of both systems at the same time, so no browsing the web while rendering or playing a game, for example. A virtual machine is a much better solution for regular use.

The major difference being that the live disk doesn’t modify the base Windows install.

Agreed on the VM.  However, many still don’t have the resources to properly run a VM…  and Windows makes a horrible host environment as far as performance goes.  Windows 8 is killing the multi-tasking from within Windows anyway grin so there’s no big loss there.

As much as I hate to say it, for the majority of people here, MacOS is the best option.  However, it’s going to take Apple pulling their heads out of their collective A$$es to realize that locking Darwin to specific hardware is keeping them from really causing M$ some major indigestion.

For people in general, I expect that Android/Chrome will soon rule computing, with iOS following.  If only DAZ would create an Android port of DS grin ... most tablets have the 3D ability.

Kendall

Signature 

Posted: 26 November 2012 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

Which is more ‘inconvenient’

...going through your downloads and downloading/resetting them until Symantec has hit that ‘magic number’...or rebooting a couple of times?

...removing an AV that is more stubborn to remove than a lot of malware, then finding and installing one that doesn’t use some asinine ‘reputation’/profiling system or rebooting a couple of times?

...sitting around, whining, crying, complaining, blaming a company that can’t do anything about what an AV is doing or rebooting a couple of times?

...letting some company control what, when and where you can download something or rebooting a couple of times?

One common definition of madness is doing the exact same thing, in the exact same manner over and over, expecting a different outcome.

There are alternatives, some easier to use than others, but when it comes down to getting the files or not, it’s definitely time to start exploring them…unless one really does prefer waiting until Symantec decides it’s perfectly fine to proceed…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 26 November 2012 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-08-14

Right. Who blamed DAZ? Who suggested that Symantec’s “solution” is anything but absurd?

And yes, rebooting between Windows and Linux is pretty friggin’ inconvenient, unless you’re the sort of weirdo who can cope more than 15 minutes without access to the internet wink

Signature 

My old profile

Posted: 26 November 2012 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
araneldon - 26 November 2012 11:56 AM

Right. Who blamed DAZ? Who suggested that Symantec’s “solution” is anything but absurd?

And yes, rebooting between Windows and Linux is pretty friggin’ inconvenient, unless you’re the sort of weirdo who can cope more than 15 minutes without access to the internet wink

Not specifically in this particular thread…but in one of the the myriad of other similar threads, it’s come up a few times.  My comments were of a general nature, not to a specific post in this thread.

And when was the last time you used Linux?

Most modern distros have a connection going before the boot process is finished and you log in (and the few that don’t are more for tinkerers anyway)...if it’s taking 15 minutes to reboot a computer, there’s other problems that need attention, more than a few files not downloading.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 26 November 2012 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-08-14

Missing the point completely. Linux can boot in one microsecond for all I care, I would still have to stop whatever I’m doing (playing a game, rendering, w/e) to boot into it to use the internet.

Capiche?

Signature 

My old profile

2 of 4