Digital Art Zone

1 of 4
ARGH!!! Norton Antivirus One is eatting my new Daz products!!!
Posted: 25 November 2012 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2003-10-09

I have an issue that’s driving me nuts. Norton Antivirus One, otherwise known as Big Brother, considers many new Daz Studio products I buy from this store to be highly suspicious. As a result, it will EAT THEM. The way the stupid program had been functioning is there was a way for me to go after the file, and there was a heading called OPTIONS, and I could choose UNDELETE. Now that function seems to be gone. It just ate the new file called Skies of Reality. I gather this is because I am one of five people to install the thing. (??!!!) //sigh.  Norton has been eating my files for three or four months now. Does anybody know how to get the files back?

Posted: 25 November 2012 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2008-03-16

I’ve been having the same problem, used up tons of my downloads to figure it out. But there is an option on the norton icon in the tray to turn on silent mode. It will then ask you for how long. This has been working for me for the most part, but for some reason it did not like Rawarts Man Wolf and the last freebie the living room collection. Even with norton off,  they would just dissapear, I could not even find them within norton or the recycling bin. I ended up renaming them for the download and that worked for those two.
  Yeah, it’s a nightmare dowloading stuff from here now. No way to sort PC or Mac and now theres all kinds of extra file formats that you can’t sort either. I dread going to my downloads page when I’m done buying stuff here.

Signature 

“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”  - Jake “Bama” Chambers       Deviant Art

DAZ Gallery works

Posted: 25 November 2012 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  250
Joined  2005-10-16

I know for Microsoft Security Essentials you can choose default actions it takes on detected files.
<I haven’t had false positives from Daz>

Same for AVG, unless they changes it within the last 1 1\2 years when I stopped using it.
<No false positives from Daz either, but it was 1 1\2 years ago>

NORTON, Managing items in Quarantine:
https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=v6200305_NAV_Retail_2012_en_us&product=home&pvid=f-home&version=1&lg=en&ct=us

Signature 

Gone.

Posted: 25 November 2012 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-10-16

Also, most AV programs do not let the user turn them off now-a-days. I guess they wanted to simply their use.

Norton will still keep deleting your false positive Daz files in Silent Mode as well, when Norton detects them.
http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Quiet-mode-and-silent-mode/td-p/650889

Signature 

Gone.

Posted: 25 November 2012 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-10-16

And to remain topical.
McAfee introduced a new feature besides quarantine. Avoid Authorities.
http://news.terra.com/john-mcafee-from-tech-pioneer-to-murder-suspect,89988695b143b310VgnCLD2000000dc6eb0aRCRD.html

*joke* I know. :(

Signature 

Gone.

Posted: 25 November 2012 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2945
Joined  2011-12-10

Okay, McCaffee, Norton and all the rest are craaaaap!

Not kidding, Microsoft Security Essentials

FREEE… it’s also the best.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download

I got rid of Norton a year ago.  Haven’t had a problem since!

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 25 November 2012 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1615
Joined  2012-01-04

Norton and McAfee seem to always cause headaches. We tried both of them and got rid of both of them in our place of business because of their difficulty without having an IT person (It’s just me and another guy). If you are running in Windows 7 I have been told that the firewall and antivirus programs, Security Essentials, work perfectly well. Since 2 years ago I have been running Windows 7 at home and have yet to experience any problems with a virus on all three of my machines. But I am just a user and have no technical know how, it’s just from experience.

Signature 

Old Post Count: Maybe 3 or 4.
O/S: Windows 7x64
D/S: 4.6.0.18

Posted: 25 November 2012 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1615
Joined  2012-01-04

The one problem I do know is they can be a booger to get rid of, especially AVG. It can cause you headaches and I will never use AVG again.

Signature 

Old Post Count: Maybe 3 or 4.
O/S: Windows 7x64
D/S: 4.6.0.18

Posted: 25 November 2012 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  858
Joined  2005-11-06

Used the free and then payware AVG for years without issue. I now use Avast thanks to an IT friend. I will never use Norton or McAfee again. had to wipe a HD just to uninstall McAfee years ago

Signature 

Regards, Michael

“Documentation? Who needs documentation, just open it and learn!”

My DeviantArt Gallery

My DAZ Gallery

Posted: 25 November 2012 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-10-16
Ledhead - 25 November 2012 09:48 AM

The one problem I do know is they can be a booger to get rid of, especially AVG. It can cause you headaches and I will never use AVG again.

After an update that wasn’t suppose to go live cause my Win7 computer to die on boot. I wasn’t happy.
http://www.dailytech.com/AVG+Update+Cripples+Users+Windows+7+Vista+Computers/article20310.htm

I got rid of it and stopped using AVG as a suggestion for people who need a free virus protection.

Many years ago, AVG was pretty darn good and then became bloatware.

Signature 

Gone.

Posted: 25 November 2012 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1695
Joined  2008-05-31
FSMCDesigns - 25 November 2012 09:53 AM

Used the free and then payware AVG for years without issue. I now use Avast thanks to an IT friend. I will never use Norton or McAfee again. had to wipe a HD just to uninstall McAfee years ago

I use Avast too (AIS), after having tried many others. Think it’s the first one I really like.

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 25 November 2012 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2216
Joined  2005-09-14

The latest version of AVG antivirus detects some of my drivers as suspicious files and automatically quarantines them.  One of them is the Realtek audio support program.

Posted: 25 November 2012 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15641
Joined  2003-10-09

me three, another happy Avast user.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 25 November 2012 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-10-16
starionwolf - 25 November 2012 10:17 AM

The latest version of AVG antivirus detects some of my drivers as suspicious files and automatically quarantines them.  One of them is the Realtek audio support program.

Eww, that isn’t good.

Signature 

Gone.

Posted: 25 November 2012 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  221
Joined  2003-10-09
Damsel - 25 November 2012 07:44 AM

I have an issue that’s driving me nuts. Norton Antivirus One, otherwise known as Big Brother, considers many new Daz Studio products I buy from this store to be highly suspicious. As a result, it will EAT THEM. The way the stupid program had been functioning is there was a way for me to go after the file, and there was a heading called OPTIONS, and I could choose UNDELETE. Now that function seems to be gone. It just ate the new file called Skies of Reality. I gather this is because I am one of five people to install the thing. (??!!!) //sigh.  Norton has been eating my files for three or four months now. Does anybody know how to get the files back?

You MAY find this link helpful:

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/06/25/how-to-bypass-symantecs-ws-reputation-1-system/

The most common reason for Symantec to take the decision to delete your files after you have downloaded them is because not enough people have already downloaded the file!!!  Yes, that’s right ... it’s unbelievable, but Symantec have decided that if a file hasn’t been downloaded very often then it has a poor “reputation” and therefore must be deleted to “protect” you. This will happen irrespective of whether or not the file has a match in the database of virus signatures.

Sometimes I really wonder what thought processes are going on in these people’s minds. wink

Posted: 25 November 2012 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  382
Joined  2003-10-09
Damsel - 25 November 2012 07:44 AM

Yep, it’s doing this to me too. So, you simply wait a minute, then open Norton Antivirus and click on Advanced, then in the next window you click on Quarantine. It will then give you a list with the removed files and the option to retrieve them. I would suggest after you’ve got the files back you right click on them -> Norton Internet Security Online -> Norton Insight and select trust. Otherwise it will remove the file again if you try to install it.

Signature 

My DAZ Store
SqueeZings - Poses for Squee
Cool & Sexy - Poses for Stephanie 5
MoveS for Hitomi
FaerieWylde

1 of 4