Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
My categories disappeared, search doesn’t work
Posted: 02 June 2012 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  243
Joined  2006-12-09

I’m using DS4Pro, and in my content directory, my categories have suddenly disappeared, and searching the database or files does nothing.  I suspect this has something the do with the content management service, but I’ve started that manually, restarted DS4, still nothing.  I think I even rebooted the computer once or twice.

I don’t see that my firewall is blocking the CMS, but I can’t be sure.  Does anyone have a solution for this?  Thanks.

Signature 

A viola is a flower or a musical instrument. The expression which means “behold!” is voila. It comes from a French expression literally meaning “look there!”

Your bedroom suite consists of the bed, the nightstand, and whatever other furniture goes with it. Your pajamas would be your bedroom suit.

Posted: 02 June 2012 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2007-11-06

What OS and what security software are you using?  In Windows, if you pull up the task manager, check the box for “show tasks from all users”, you can see if the CMS is running.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 02 June 2012 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13425
Joined  2003-10-09

Look for DAZ Content Management Service in the Services tab of Task Manager if you are using Vista or Windows 7 (or 8).

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 02 June 2012 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-12-09

Yeah, it is stopped for some reason, and when I try to start it this is what I get:

Windows 7 64, by the way.

Image Attachments
Untitled.png
 Signature 

A viola is a flower or a musical instrument. The expression which means “behold!” is voila. It comes from a French expression literally meaning “look there!”

Your bedroom suite consists of the bed, the nightstand, and whatever other furniture goes with it. Your pajamas would be your bedroom suit.

Posted: 02 June 2012 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-12-09

Got it.  For some reason I had disabled CMS in msconfig.  I thought that would only stop it from loading at startup, but apparently it prevented it from being enable at all.

Thanks for your assistance.

Signature 

Posted: 02 June 2012 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

In Services.msc set it to Manual rather than Automatic.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 02 June 2012 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2006-09-06
fixmypcmike - 02 June 2012 01:50 PM

In Services.msc set it to Manual rather than Automatic.

Could you be more specific? Will that make the non-meta’d content appear in the directories??
On an unrelated tangent, I suspect the dual function of the CMS not spoken of is to have only new content pased through the DAZ|Store to work on DAZ, monopolizing content and addons, no third party or independent merchants making money on DAZ content without their getting a piece of the action. I bet the merchants at renderosity like evilinnocence and kozoburo that have product for pre-genesis figures are real happy with their content suddenly being unusable and unmarketable.  If I am wrong, abnd pre-genesis unmetasdata’d content can be shown in the libraries and used as before, I eagerly await the solution. Until then, if anyone knows why my DAZ just curled up and died, I’d appreciate your suggestions.

Posted: 02 June 2012 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  202
Joined  2006-04-15

The Smart Content pane will only show content with metadata. The rest of your content will be viewable in the Content Library pane, just like it was in 3.

Signature 

“Why’s all the rum gone?”  *looks at the last render*  “Oh. That’s why the rum’s gone…”
DAZ Studio 3.1.2.32 | Windows 7 Pro SP1 x32 | ATI Radeon HD 4200
Say YES to David 5!

Posted: 02 June 2012 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13425
Joined  2003-10-09

There are actually short cuts for starting and stopping the CMS service in the Start menu, in their own group under DAZ3D.

As for the idea of DAZ blocking others - DS includes all the tools needed to create metadata so there’s nothing to stop anyone from adding it to their products, at other stores or free.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 02 June 2012 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

Setting the CMS to Manual will stop it from autostarting with Windows.  You will need to start it manually before starting DS4.

Content without metadata will not show in Smart Content, but it will show in Content Library in both “DAZ Studio Formats”/“Poser Formats” and in Categories if you assign them.

Outside vendors are not restricted—they can create metadata for their products, and some people have made metadata for them (Cridgit posted a bunch on ShareCG).  And you can still use them in the Content Library tab.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 05 June 2012 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2006-09-06

I haven’t used the smart pane, I transferred my content to ther content libraries, but the folders show, not the content witjhin. That’s the issue.
As I noted elsewhere, I installed and re-installed Daz3 and Daz 4 in seperate folders, but neither starts up when I click the icons.
On the desktop or in the program files or program files (/386). Same configuration as before I reinstalled everything after my HD crashed.
It’s like groundhog day, only Friday the 13th… over and over and over…

Posted: 05 June 2012 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
brycescaper - 05 June 2012 12:54 PM

I haven’t used the smart pane, I transferred my content to ther content libraries, but the folders show, not the content witjhin. That’s the issue.
As I noted elsewhere, I installed and re-installed Daz3 and Daz 4 in seperate folders, but neither starts up when I click the icons.
On the desktop or in the program files or program files (/386). Same configuration as before I reinstalled everything after my HD crashed.
It’s like groundhog day, only Friday the 13th… over and over and over…

So in the Content Library tab, under “DAZ Studio Formats” and “Poser Formats”, the folders show but not the content?  Can you go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, expand the 3 types, and post a screenshot?

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 29 May 2014 09:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2005-08-14

I have a similar problem, running DS 4.6.2.118, in Win 7.

Categories vanished after I had disabled DCMS from the Startup Services, a few days ago (I dont know why Daz needs to do anything at Startup).

Categories returned after re-enabling DCMS service & reboot, but now all Categories icons are pointing to files that do not exist on C: drive, instead of the correct filepath specified in the Content Directory as G: drive.  The “DAZ Studio Formats” and “Poser Formats” content icons are pointed at the correct G: drive.

So why are all Categories content now pointing to a different drive than the Content Directory?  How to update Categories to the same Content Directory?

Image Attachments
Categories.jpg
 Signature 

Youtube Channel

Posted: 30 May 2014 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

I’m not sure why this happened,, but if you right-click on one of the icons and select Database > Edit Base Paths, you’ll get a dialog box.  Change the top pull-down to “All files using this base path” and put in the correct path.  That should fix all of them.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 01 June 2014 03:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2005-08-14

Thanks so much! 

Now, can anyone direct me to ‘how to find lost content?’  I see only threads on how to fix this on a Mac, but I am in Win 7.

After my last 4.6 upgrade, when I double-click content icons, I am getting a lot of “Cannot find a file for ... ”  or “file does not exist”

When searching my drive for the missing files, they no longer exist on the drive.  How would things get deleted during an upgrade?  I assume I have to re-install these things? 

I also discovered that ALL of my uninstallers I created over the years have disappeared after I upgraded.

What is the deal? 

Btw, the DCMS is running in the Task Manager. 

Signature 

Youtube Channel

Posted: 01 June 2014 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

If you installed the PostgreSQL CMS, then DS is no longer using DAZContentManagementService.exe

Files disappearing is disconcerting—where were the files located previously?  Unless they were installed to a protected location like Program Files, I’d be concerned about your hard drive.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Updated Genesis Products

1 of 3