Digital Art Zone

Bryce 7 materials?!
Posted: 24 November 2012 02:22 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2005-12-15

Why are my materials so pixelated? The textures always come out as squares of texture, it’s not smooth at all. You can see it in the texture of the lower left corner of the bluish picture, on the land; on the red and green picture, on the mountains in general (especially prominent on the right hand side). Also, in the second picture, look at the reflection of the water. It’s totally messed up! What’s going on?

Image Attachments
Mirrorland.pngtwo.png

Posted: 24 November 2012 03:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  926
Joined  2003-10-09
AngelLover89 - 24 November 2012 02:22 AM

Why are my materials so pixelated? The textures always come out as squares of texture, it’s not smooth at all. You can see it in the texture of the lower left corner of the bluish picture, on the land; on the red and green picture, on the mountains in general (especially prominent on the right hand side). Also, in the second picture, look at the reflection of the water. It’s totally messed up! What’s going on?

It might be that the textures were meant for things of a different size then what you’re applying them to and as such you need to adjust the scale of the texture by selecting the edit texture option in the transformation tools for the material in question when you’re in the Material Lab?

Image Attachments
EditTexture.png

Posted: 24 November 2012 04:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3371
Joined  2004-10-01

Make sure you have Anti-Aliasing on in the Render Options.

Image Attachments
RenderOptions.gif
 Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 24 November 2012 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2536
Joined  2004-07-06
AngelLover89 - 24 November 2012 02:22 AM

Looks to me like it is the heightmap resolution of the terrains that is creating the pixelation effect.  Normally the heightmaps generated internally achieve 16 bit greyscale resolution, however, depending what filtering is used, some effects cause the map to drop to 8 bit - but since it is expecting 16 bit and is sampling for 16 bit this results in a stepped heightmap.  I cannot positively confirm that this is what is happening in this case, but that is what it looks like to me.  If you want positive confirmation, post me one of the source files and I will tell you exactly where the problem lies and how it can be fixed.

[email protected]

If you want to do that.

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 24 November 2012 06:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1547
Joined  2007-12-10

Another thing it it could be (is most likely to be), is the resolution of the terrains you are using.

Pic 1: Terrain set to ultra fine
Pic 2: Exact same scene but with terrain set to Gigantic resolution
Pic 3: Terrain Editor resolution option

Edited to add; Or what David said. smile

Image Attachments
Terrain-lo-res.jpgTerrain-hi-res.jpgScreen-Grab-Terrain-Editor.jpg
 Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 24 November 2012 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2005-12-15

Okay. I’ll try these options. Secondly, why is there so much noise in my renders?.. typically I render them in .pngs because they take up a TON LESS space than bitmaps…

and how can I fix the water texture? Look at how messed up/ UN realistic it is (even for Bryce standards)... it’s just basically noise with a striped pattern…

Posted: 25 November 2012 01:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3371
Joined  2004-10-01

Save the render as BMP or TIFF. PNG and JPG compress the files with a lossy algorithm, meaning you lose a lot. Saving memory on a rendered picture is saving at the wrong place. To publish, use jpg or png, but not for originals.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 25 November 2012 02:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2536
Joined  2004-07-06
AngelLover89 - 24 November 2012 11:55 PM

Okay. I’ll try these options. Secondly, why is there so much noise in my renders?.. typically I render them in .pngs because they take up a TON LESS space than bitmaps…

and how can I fix the water texture? Look at how messed up/ UN realistic it is (even for Bryce standards)... it’s just basically noise with a striped pattern…

The appearance of water is largely dependant on its environment.  So if you wish to achieve realism in this respect, then consideration should also be given to what is going to be reflected and what lighting is provided.

I’ve made a few video’s on this topic which might be helpful - depending on your level of experience with Bryce.

Bryce lake in a landscape - a 15 minute tutorial by David Brinnen
Bryce shoreline - a 15 minute tutorial by David Brinnen
Bryce 25 minute scene - anisotropic reflection in a landscape - a tutorial by David Brinnen

and underwater

Bryce 25 minute lighting project - advanced underwater effects - a tutorial by David Brinnen

and rather impractical

Bryce undocumented feature - the sea foam Easter egg - by David Brinnen

The images which relate to the tutorials.

Image Attachments
landscape_lake_750w.jpgRender_for_video_tut4.jpgTest_for_aniso_reflect4.jpgYet_another_underwater_video_scene_2.jpgSea_foam_easter_egg2.jpg
 Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D