Digital Art Zone

1 of 4
Not trying to start a debate.. but looking at Filter Forge vs Genetica
Posted: 23 November 2012 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  268
Joined  2006-05-09

Hi,

I am not trying to start a debate (sigh it might happen) and I know both packages are powerful and very useful.  With the sale on Filter Forge at 70% off its tempting me.  I would want the pro version for the normal maps. 

The thing about Genetica I like from reading/ watching the tutorials is creation of seamless textures, while filter forge has 1000’s of premade ones.  I think I read that Photoshop will take and make seamless (though I haven’t looked for a tutorial).

For those who use both, which do you use most and what do you do in the one where you have to switch to other one.

Signature 

Carrara Cafe

Posted: 23 November 2012 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

Hi Milo smile

Filter-forge has a “Seamless tiling” option, (see pic) which is available on all on all surface (3D texture) filter’s you create.
so I think you’ve picked that info up wrongly,..

Filter-forge makes seamless textures.

The demo version of Filter-forge 4,. has all the features and options enabled,.
you should play with the demo’s of both programs to see which you prefer.

Hope it helps smile

Image Attachments
FF_seamless.jpg

Posted: 23 November 2012 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07

I’m extremely bias. Just for the info, Genetica has premade texture build packs on site, as well as what comes with it.  All free.
Now the question is can filter forge make HDRI’s? Can it make textures way beyond seamless? I’ve made quite a few character skins with it. Can filterforge be used for photo editing? Can filterforge do animated textures? Can it make sky boxes and sky domes?
Do you still think these 2 are comparable? :D

Genetica is a lot more then just a seamless texture generator. wink

Posted: 23 November 2012 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  231
Joined  2006-11-17

Hi Milo,

Filter Forge stand-alone also creates seamless textures if wanted (settings > Seamless tiling)

I purchased Genetica a while ago, and it is powerful, but found compared to Filter Forge it can need many more nodes to get similar results. So I purchased Filter Forge and now use that.

I must be getting slow, 2 replies as I was typing lol.

Posted: 23 November 2012 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1059
Joined  2007-10-15

I bought Filter Forge a very long time ago, and I think I used it once.

Personally, I’d recommend getting a camera instead. You’ll get much nicer textures, IMO, by using photographs of real stuff. And it’s more fun, too.

But that’s the wrong type of advice for this forum, so I’ll shut up now. Sorry for butting in.

Posted: 23 November 2012 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-11-17
ManStan - 23 November 2012 04:03 PM

Genetica is a lot more then just a seamless texture generator. wink

With Filter Forge giving the ability to create textures/seamless and normal maps/ambient occlusion maps etc, then that is what is wanted from a texture maker. For current $119 US for those functions in Filter Forge compared to Genetica at $899 to get similar functions,  difficult choice?.

Posted: 23 November 2012 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-24

Hi Stan,..

can filter forge make HDRI’s?

Not only can it make HDRI’s, it can work with HDRI’s in a filter,.. so you could create mixers, gradients etc,. all using HDRI files as sources. (since version 3)

You can also create colours,. and set those colours to HDRI so you could make a simple gradient and all the colours in that gradient will use floating point values.

Can it make textures way beyond seamless?

That’s got me confused,...I’ve no idea what is meant by “beyond seamless”. ?
if it’s seamless, it has no visible seams.

Can filterforge be used for photo editing?

Filter forge is a plugin to allow you to create filters for Photoshop,. so, ...does photoshop edit images. yes
You can use alpha Masks in filter-forge so that you limit textures to a specific area, (like a skin texture) ,.. yes.

Can filterforge do animated textures?
Again, it’s built into photoshop, which can be used to create a range of frames.

Can it make sky boxes and sky domes?

I’ve never tried it, but I’m sure it’s possible,.  but if you can make an HDRI, .....why make a sky-box or dome.

Does Genetica allow the user to create Photo-filters and texture maps, or just texture maps ?

Does Genetica allow the export of Diffuse, Bump, Normal, Highlight / shininess / reflectivity,

Does Genetica allow the user to create a single “texture” with multiple saved “Presets” options .

Do you still think these 2 are comparable?

Since both programs do similar tasks,. Yes,. I think they’re comparable.

Posted: 23 November 2012 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-11-17
JoeMamma2000 - 23 November 2012 04:22 PM

Personally, I’d recommend getting a camera instead. You’ll get much nicer textures, IMO, by using photographs of real stuff. And it’s more fun, too.

I have done that and still do now and again, but it can be very time consuming getting other maps (such as normal maps) from a photo (well, maps that work well).

Posted: 23 November 2012 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-24

HI joe smile

I think this is generally good advice to anyone wanting to make textures.

Personally, I’d recommend getting a camera instead. You’ll get much nicer textures, IMO, by using photographs of real stuff.

Unfortunately it’s a bit out of date,. since Filter-forge can use images as the sources for gradients, mixers,. fractal noise, bricks and just about any other filter,... and it can also use HDR images.

Posted: 23 November 2012 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1059
Joined  2007-10-15
3DAGE - 23 November 2012 04:31 PM

Unfortunately it’s a bit out of date,. since Filter-forge can use images as the sources for gradients, mixers,. fractal noise, bricks and just about any other filter,... and it can also use HDR images.

Out of date?? Does Filter Forge include a camera??

Andy, once again I’ll just say “Andy, you’re right”, and let it go at that, since that’s what you really want to hear.

Posted: 23 November 2012 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07
3DAGE - 23 November 2012 04:27 PM

Hi Stan,..

can filter forge make HDRI’s?

Not only can it make HDRI’s, it can work with HDRI’s in a filter,.. so you could create mixers, gradients etc,. all using HDRI files as sources. (since version 3)

You can also create colours,. and set those colours to HDRI so you could make a simple gradient and all the colours in that gradient will use floating point values.

Can it make textures way beyond seamless?

That’s got me confused,...I’ve no idea what is meant by “beyond seamless”. ?
if it’s seamless, it has no visible seams.

Can filterforge be used for photo editing?

Filter forge is a plugin to allow you to create filters for Photoshop,. so, ...does photoshop edit images. yes
You can use alpha Masks in filter-forge so that you limit textures to a specific area, (like a skin texture) ,.. yes.

Can filterforge do animated textures?
Again, it’s built into photoshop, which can be used to create a range of frames.

Can it make sky boxes and sky domes?

I’ve never tried it, but I’m sure it’s possible,.  but if you can make an HDRI, .....why make a sky-box or dome.

Does Genetica allow the user to create Photo-filters and texture maps, or just texture maps ?

Does Genetica allow the export of Diffuse, Bump, Normal, Highlight / shininess / reflectivity,

Does Genetica allow the user to create a single “texture” with multiple saved “Presets” options .

Do you still think these 2 are comparable?

Since both programs do similar tasks,. Yes,. I think they’re comparable.

Yes to all the above plus no need of a secondary app wink

Beyond seemless is in reference to doing far more then just seemless textures.

skyboxes and domes are for games.

Posted: 23 November 2012 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  246
Joined  2006-04-26
Steve athome - 23 November 2012 04:30 PM

I have done that and still do now and again, but it can be very time consuming getting other maps (such as normal maps) from a photo (well, maps that work well).

From 2 photos, you can get several map types:
displacement, normal, ambient occlusion, specular, diffuse (color)
http://www.photosculpt.net/

Posted: 23 November 2012 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-11-17
cdordoni - 23 November 2012 05:04 PM
Steve athome - 23 November 2012 04:30 PM

From 2 photos, you can get several map types:
displacement, normal, ambient occlusion, specular, diffuse (color)
http://www.photosculpt.net/

That looks interesting, thanks for the link.
Not sure if I would use it enough to pay that much for it though.

Posted: 23 November 2012 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-11-17

Hi Milo,

Just a question. What texture/normal maps would you be making?

I only ask as, well, although I do not use Carrara much these days for rendering etc, I do use it a lot for seamless textures / normal maps / AO map creation. I purchased a few plugins such as “Enhanced C” and “Baker”, which makes creating those a lot easier. The up side is that you can create a 3d seamless texture. With 2d seamless textures, it can still cause issue(seams) when wrapping around a 3d model (you cannot always unfold a UV map to cover all UV space correctly)
Just thought it worth mentioning.

Posted: 23 November 2012 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1784
Joined  2005-12-31

Unless you need 6000x6000 textures and animation presets then the price is $399 for genetica pro. And it generally goes on sale before a major upgrade by the way.  It is my preferred choice for creating textures. There are quite a few presets but if your going to use presets that everyone else uses then I would just save time and buy created resources.

Posted: 23 November 2012 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  268
Joined  2006-05-09
Steve athome - 23 November 2012 05:21 PM

Hi Milo,

Just a question. What texture/normal maps would you be making?

I only ask as, well, although I do not use Carrara much these days for rendering etc, I do use it a lot for seamless textures / normal maps / AO map creation. I purchased a few plugins such as “Enhanced C” and “Baker”, which makes creating those a lot easier. The up side is that you can create a 3d seamless texture. With 2d seamless textures, it can still cause issue(seams) when wrapping around a 3d model (you cannot always unfold a UV map to cover all UV space correctly)
Just thought it worth mentioning.

Wow there are so many wonderful responses.  Thank you 3dAge, Stan for all the information.  Good point Khory (though still out of my price range at that price).  cdordoni Interesting looking software.  Joe that should stay in the arsenal always too, always can use a camera to feed into the pipeline.  Steve I think that is why my indecision, I don[t have a clear picture of what I am going to be doing still.  The price is whats got me drawn in 119 is a bargain, and at that I am not sure I will ‘use’ it.  Thats an idea about the extra plug-ins.  I was attempting a tutorial on Hex from GeekAtPlay the ‘hut’ one used a filter forge texture for the palm material.  In the light of not knowing perhaps I should wait till I am against the wall and I NEED to make a texture.  I have various ideas from Space Vehicle / Planet scenes to a Mid-evil world (not human though) to military uniforms for some specific ideas/renders.

I apologize if this started some debate.

It sounds like I couldn’t go wrong with Filter Forge at the price.  I did watch some of the creation of textures in Genetica (The one making the boards with the Nails attached, was very cool).  I am going through some tutorials on Filter Forge trying to get a handle on how it works, and it seems it would be similar at least for the board creation.  I am not sure about the nail placement).

Link to the board with nail creation http://blog.spiralgraphics.biz/2010/09/make-wood-floor-seamless-texture-with.html

Signature 

Carrara Cafe

1 of 4