2 of 2
Daz Studio 4.5.1.6.Pro 32 Bit will not render
Posted: 24 November 2012 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
Kyoto Kid - 24 November 2012 03:33 PM

Reduce the Render Bucket size to minimum (8) and reduce the Ray Depth to 1.

When possible use Shadow mapping as it is not as memory intensive as ray tracing especially when it comes to hair and foliage which are usually heavy in transmaps.

Actually this one is getting less and less true…since 3Delight 10.x came out there have been massive improvements in the raytracer…both memory and speed.  With the build of 3Delight in 4.5.1.6 they are close to par.  With the build in the latest beta, in some cases the raytracer now wins.

areg5 - 24 November 2012 05:21 PM

Good suggestions.  I tried all of that.  The thing that is killing me is the shadowing.  Raytraced crashes the program, it will go with deep shadow mapping but doesn’t look as good.

Try a very simple scene with a single item (a sphere primitive works nicely) and raytracing…if it still crashes, then you are probably facing a 3Delight problem, that I believe has been fixed in the build that is included in the beta…

The problem with 32 bit Windows is that it will reserve up to 2 GB of memory for it’s own use (XP, less in Vista and later, but still some).  Programs can’t access this reserved amount…that’s what the 3 GB switch in XP Pro is for…limiting XP to only 1 GB reserved and freeing the other gig for programs to use.  So while 4 GB may seem like a lot, once you add up the reserved amount and the amount sucked up by an onboard video card, you don’t have 4 GB any more.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 24 November 2012 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10939
Joined  2007-11-06

...this was done with Lantios Lights2 using deep shadow mapping.

Image Attachments
sadie_in_the_hood.jpg
 Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 25 November 2012 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2005-03-19
mjc1016 - 24 November 2012 05:45 PM

When possible use Shadow mapping as it is not as memory intensive as ray tracing especially when it comes to hair and foliage which are usually heavy in transmaps.

Actually this one is getting less and less true…since 3Delight 10.x came out there have been massive improvements in the raytracer…both memory and speed.  With the build of 3Delight in 4.5.1.6 they are close to par.  With the build in the latest beta, in some cases the raytracer now wins.

Good suggestions.  I tried all of that.  The thing that is killing me is the shadowing.  Raytraced crashes the program, it will go with deep shadow mapping but doesn’t look as good.

Try a very simple scene with a single item (a sphere primitive works nicely) and raytracing…if it still crashes, then you are probably facing a 3Delight problem, that I believe has been fixed in the build that is included in the beta…

The problem with 32 bit Windows is that it will reserve up to 2 GB of memory for it’s own use (XP, less in Vista and later, but still some).  Programs can’t access this reserved amount…that’s what the 3 GB switch in XP Pro is for…limiting XP to only 1 GB reserved and freeing the other gig for programs to use.  So while 4 GB may seem like a lot, once you add up the reserved amount and the amount sucked up by an onboard video card, you don’t have 4 GB any more.

Yes, I am able to render a very simple scene with raytracing (a genesis figure with no background).

Posted: 25 November 2012 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10939
Joined  2007-11-06

...raytracing pretty much hangs up or crashes on my system (in spite of all the other measures I take). even with the latest version of 3Delight.

Basically, if like myself, you have 4GB in 32 bit (without the switch), you only have 2GB that can be applied to other applications.  Now add the “weight” of the application and loaded scene, and what you have left over is all that the system has available for rendering.  So if the application and scene together take up say 600MB, that only leaves 1.4 G for rendering (the average that I usually have to deal with on my system).  So yes, even a moderately “big” scene will usually run out of memory (particularly with raytracing) resulting in a crash.

As I’ve had less than favourable experiences with beta releases in the past (forcing a rollback which means uninstalling and reinstalling the previous version which, with 4.x tends not to always go very smoothly since the uninstall routine doesn’t catch everything) I tend to wait until the next “stable” public release is available.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 25 November 2012 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1844
Joined  2006-02-17
areg5 - 25 November 2012 01:13 PM
mjc1016 - 24 November 2012 05:45 PM

Yes, I am able to render a very simple scene with raytracing (a genesis figure with no background).

In a nutshell, your problem is 32 bit Windows, period.  Windows 7 (and the associated necessary support services) uses too much all by itself to lead to much usability.  Add to that the fact that all newer software is starting to assume that the full 64 bit address range is available and are wasting memory worse than ever.  You’ve a base 64 bit system, and running W7/32 on it is not doing any of your software any favors.  You really do need to upgrade to W7/64 as soon as you can.

Now, with all of that being said, it is perfectly possible to get 20 Genesis figures + environment into DS4.5 in a 32 bit system.  I’ve done it, recently.  I constantly work with scenes with >10 Genesis characters in them under 32 bit environs.  You really do need to keep track of what you’re doing and what resources you are playing with.  High res textures are the biggest downfall.  No one seems to take into account just how much RAM a 4Kx4K texture is going to use.  One should always evaluate where a lower res texture (or a procedural shader) can be used in place of the “standard.”

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

2 of 2