Digital Art Zone

3 of 7
WIP - On a hiding to nothing
Posted: 05 December 2012 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2005-09-15

Grab hold of the gizmo’s Z handle and move the mesh forward of the main object which you can now unselect and hide/lock. Fig 14.  Follow this by selecting all of the mesh and click on the increase thickness icon to be found on the surface modeling tab; paying special notice to ensure that the number of points are reduced to 4.  Fig 15.

Image Attachments
Fig_14.0_.jpegFig_15.0_.jpeg
 Signature 

Cheers, Fanners.raspberry

Posted: 05 December 2012 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-09-15

The finished result prior to allocation of a shader;  intended to remain unsmoothed will be as found in Fig 16.

Image Attachments
Fig_16.0_.jpeg
 Signature 

Posted: 05 December 2012 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-09-15

In conclusion, whilst on the surface all appears well, all is not as it seems; for in my experience a mesh created with the coons tool does seem to have a bit of a flaw.  In as much as the mesh consists of “independent clusters or irregular islands” of verts’ and nothing to date has given me any success in welding them into a whole.  (Snapping; Welding; target welding or average welding)

If anybody can suggest how to get round this problem, I’m all ears.  So the result is on the wing of a prayer that the clusters do not get dislodged, ok on static rendering but dubious I would have thought if required to be part of an animation or a rigged pose. 

Some interesting results occur if one gets too carried away with the level of smoothing.  LOL LOL.  Fig 17.

Quite pretty really.  grin

Image Attachments
Fig_17.0_.jpeg
 Signature 

Posted: 05 December 2012 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1428
Joined  2008-01-01

Interesting effect, Red - thanks for the explanation:)

Same thing happens when you extract a curve from a primitive sphere, for instance.  It’ll show as one curve, but when thickness is added and smoothed, it shows that it’s not all connected.  Won’t be a problem animating, as long as it’s all welded as one object.

Cheers:)

Posted: 06 December 2012 03:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-09-15

Really, never noticed that I always tend to use either of the curve tools.  But the coons is a bit of a nightmare.  I’ve tried all forms of welding both prior to bending;  after bending but prior to copying & pasting and,  after pasting. 

Always the same result.  What really becomes a pain is applying a shading domain to this structure, since there’s a gerzillion forms;  maybe it will be easier on my other computer with more of everything; I’ll find out later.  rolleyes  smile

Signature 

Posted: 06 December 2012 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

I’ve never enjoyed the coons surfaces either.

If you are only applying one shader domain, you could weld (not point weld) all the gazillion bits and bobs into a single object, select the lot and do it in one fell swoop:)

Posted: 06 December 2012 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-09-15

But’s that my point, whatever I try,  I cannot seem to be able to weld.  Anything I seem to try I still end up with the same, gerzillions.

Signature 

Posted: 06 December 2012 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

Aah, yes, I see - sorry, I thought you meant point welding wouldn’t work.  Maybe the gazilion is a couple million too many for Hex to handle in one bite?  Have you tried doing it say, 10 at a time?

Posted: 07 December 2012 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-09-15

Yup!  Even tried one at a time gods help me.  It still would not have it. 

So knickers I shall cogitate it over a pint of beer later.  Whilst I read my 3D World mag’,

Signature 

Posted: 07 December 2012 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-09-15

So, back to a bit of modeling. 

Thought I would jig around with the main hull before I go back to repairing the pods.  So I’ve tinkered a tad more….

Image Attachments
Drop_Tubes_7.1_.jpgDrop_Tubes_7.2_.jpgDrop_Tubes_7.0_.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 07 December 2012 09:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-09-15

Couple of more tweaks,  A medium hanger plus a few subtle pokes….

Image Attachments
Medium_Hanger_9.jpgMedium_Hanger_9.1_.jpgSubtle_9.2_._.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 07 December 2012 10:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

Looking good - nice and smooth.smile

The only reason I can think of for failure to weld is if the bits are in a group?

Posted: 08 December 2012 05:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-09-15

In a group !  Well, that they are.  Hmm,  I’ll ungroup them to the root and see if I have better luck that way. 

I have a vague memory that I have tried that, but I can’t be positive.  So after I’ve tackled my suspected dust bunnies hiding in the farthest regions of my mother board, I shall give it a whirl and see if that solves my problem.  Thanks Roygee.

Signature 

Posted: 08 December 2012 05:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-09-15

Whose de man den -  Roygee !!!  cool smile

No good, had to try it and it sort of worked;  first time I tried with the whole lot,  mini beast crashed through running out of Window handles.  rolleyes

So rebooted, selected ten did a normal weld and bish bosh.  All welded,  a little bi-product however,  the rest disappeared. 

So, will dup this file. Delete everything in it excepting this, try to average weld and if successful copy & paste it back into the original.  Fingers crossed.

Signature 

Posted: 08 December 2012 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-09-15

Yay!  You were right roygee.  Un-grouped and progressively average welded until I ended up with one;  cheese

Saved it.  Loaded up the original file, deleted the gazillions and imported the revised object.  The only thing which I found a tad strange following this I lost 90% of my shading domains on the “model”,  However, I found I still had the shading domains & the accompanying materials listed.  Odd!  All rectified now.

All dust bunnies eliminated, cor twas bad.  red face

Right, back to repairing the pods.

Signature 

3 of 7