While pottering about looking at old files on one of my old computers and I found these.
So after a bit more investigation I turned up subsequent evolution.....
Wish I could remember how I got all those buildings in there as it was over 5 years ago since I did this....
Though not by any means the finished result it still shows a tad of promise if I work at it a bit more. Just need to make up my mind whether or not it is worthwhile spending more time on it, or whether the whole concept is flawed. The procedurals are somewhat coarse to say the least. :)
OK I've decided that I am going to tackle this grotty 5 year old model. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that. But, as I used to say to my old students; don't do as I do, do as I say.
In short, do NOT make a model with two different versions of Hexagon. Like wot I done. :roll: 2.1 and 184.108.40.206 Thankfully I still have 2.1.
So I shall make this a WIP entry, Until such time, if ever, I finally produce something finished.
So it begins.....
Ye Gods, I must have been blind...
Nah! not blind, just a flaming useless modeller. I noticed something amiss with a section of the domed roof over the pods. Two hours later having untangled frankly an utter mess consisting mainly of flipped/crossed over poly's, I have established that at least 50% of the dome frame is missing in the marked area.
So I'll have to rebuild the missing sections, that done repeat x7 hopefully getting quicker as I get to grips with it. Scheeech! Self inflicted no sympathy. :-S
EDIT: Piccies in reverse order.
that will teach you to look at old stuff ;-) - not
That's the problem with old incomplete stuff - as I've just found - can't remember what needs doing next!
Did you ever finish the coach house?
that will teach you to look at old stuff - not :lol: You are sooooo right bigh.
Did you ever finish the coach house?
No not yet, I'm having a rest from it. :-) Actually, I'm pussy footing about. To do:- Rectify 1. The drain pipes. (Too small diameter & easier said than done) 2. Redoing the bevelling on the extension cladding and, 3. UV'ng it. Especially the latter.
- can’t remember what needs doing next! :cheese: You are not wrong there Roy. I have mucho copy & pasting to do once/if I sort this last fiasco out.
Hmm! Wonder if I can simply unwind this cats cradle ? Doubt it. Edit: Oo! Slight progress, time will tell, time will tell.
Ah ha! All is not lost after all.......but yet another hour later.......
Edit: Cripes, 04:36 Again. Bed calls.
Stone me, this is almost as bad as watching paint dry. 'Tis taking a loooooooooooong time. :-S
Blocking out a bit....
Mmm! Not too sure about this....
Yes well, less said the better methinks......
Took me ages to model this as well. As for the material zones took twice as long as modelling in the first place; intended to render it made of glass. Ho hum! Back to the drawing board...... :snake: :-S
I'm waiting to see how you did the gazillion little buildings. :)
Ha! Funny you should ask that; I remembered over the weekend and after a bit of searching found it. :wow:
I'm afraid it's not rocket science just pick out the areas required then on one of them zoom in.
Holding the shift key extrude a bit, alter to taste, extrude a bit more if desired - save after making shader domain. Then click more faces and repeat the next selection and so on until all done. There may be a more efficient method out there, but I only have a simple mind so look for simple methods. :cheese:
Intriguing model, Red.
Interested to hear what that diaphanous hemisphere is and how you made it?
If by that you mean these - then thanks for the description which sounds much better than the result. :)
Doh! Roy, do you mean this ? In which case I've sorted out the shots which I'll upload later today together with a brief explanation, on wot I did ! :cheese:
Hells teeth, have been having some grief today. This pesky old computer has been continuously seizing up on me. The PSU is 800w as far as I can remember and I can see I'm not running out of memory. No new hardware has been installed so I suspect the cpu is overheating because I haven't cleaned the inner workings for eons, it probably looks like thick undergrowth in the Amazon basin.
However, onwards and upwards. So, how did I make the mesh round the blue sphere thingy ? Fig 1
What follows is a brief description on 'ow. :)
Select orthographic view mode and then the line tab followed by the circle option fig 2. I used the x2 point circle snapping it to the base mesh I then increased the number of vert's around it's periphery to x300. Fig 3.
Next I selected the edge of the circle, the surface modeling tab, followed by the coons tool. Fig 4.
Collapsed the DG with the resultant diamond mesh form shown in Fig 5
This mesh is intended to basically follow the curvature of the blue sphere as in Fig 6. Therefore after rotating the circular mesh 45 degrees, I elongated the outline in the X direction and reduced the height in the Y. To get a reasonable coverage trial & error may be necessary. Fig 7.
I created two separate curves; one for the Y/Z axis and one for the X/Z axis. Fig 8. Then having selected the mesh form and ensuring that I view the mesh at 90 degrees to it's face I clicked on the bend tool followed by clicking on the Y/Z curve. Fig 9.
Fig 10 shows the X/Z bend, to bend successfully the profile of the curves must always be viewed as both Figs 9 & 10 relative to the object being curved. Fig 11.
Fig 12 shows the resultant object from which we will produce the mesh. With the object selected in the tree, transparency selected from the bottom tool bar and using the line tool, select the mesh; then copy and then paste. Fig 13.