21 of 23
WIP Thread for June New Users Contest.
Posted: 25 June 2012 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 301 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7645
Joined  2009-05-14
Thx Jaderail

I know, I know I should have been here earlier but I am having some serious personal issues at the moment. I did it to help for the future to be honest.
 Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 25 June 2012 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 302 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22
I'm just hoping the next contest will be about something I understand and can help with. If it's not I might learn as the others get tips.
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 25 June 2012 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 303 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4935
Joined  2006-08-27
BWSman - 06 June 2012 07:19 AM

Another tip - for the key light; use raytraced shadows as they are more realistic than the deep shadow map.

Thank you! There are some really nice compositions here that are ruined by trying to take short cuts with the render options. All the well placed lights in the 3D universe will just look washed and flat if you try and get away with using the lowest possible render settings, such as shadow buffers, etc.

That's not to say that you have to use the very best render settings, but you need to make educated decisions based on the needs of the image.. In this case, the needs are primarily lighting due to the contest, so that's the last place I would look to take a shortcut.

Keep up the good work guys. As I said there are some nice compositions here.
 Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 26 June 2012 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 304 ]
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2011-06-08
Very useful stuff. I feel like I'm learning loads... smile

Doesn't look like I'll have the time to finish my work before the deadline unfortunately, but at least I'll have learned some stuff ready for the next one. I'll still try though xD

Love what's already been done by people.
 Signature 

Here’s what I’ve got;

http://rei-nightshade.deviantart.com/

Posted: 26 June 2012 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 305 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15302
Joined  2003-10-09
Post what you have already, if you don't get any edits done. You do still have another 3 days.
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 26 June 2012 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 306 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
I want to see, please!!
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.

Posted: 26 June 2012 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 307 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14
Jaderail - 25 June 2012 04:33 PM
I'm just hoping the next contest will be about something I understand and can help with. If it's not I might learn as the others get tips.
I would say you have helped loads in this thread.
 Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Posted: 26 June 2012 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 308 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14
home and heart - 24 June 2012 12:17 AM
Szark, thanks for the links and the info. I love the black and white portraits of kylumi, and I love the picture of yours. Very compaling !
http://www.daz3d.com/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=506&aid=5934_LPthmQMFAwp4OLHTNive&board_id=1
My pleasure and thank you.
 Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Posted: 26 June 2012 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 309 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
Szark - 26 June 2012 05:14 PM
Jaderail - 25 June 2012 04:33 PM
I would say you have helped loads in this thread.
You are too kind Jedi Master. I'm just parroting things I learned in the old forums. No need for the current users too hunt for all those old topics.
 Signature 

Posted: 26 June 2012 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 310 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14
Well that is what we all do isn't it? smile Pieces of eight.

Oh and I maybe a jedi but no master. raspberry
 Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Posted: 26 June 2012 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 311 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
Szark - 26 June 2012 06:00 PM
Well that is what we all do isn't it? smile Pieces of eight.

Oh and I maybe a jedi but no master. raspberry
... he say's to the Padawan.
 Signature 

Posted: 26 June 2012 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 312 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14
hehehe.
 Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Posted: 27 June 2012 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 313 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
Pardon my ignorance here, I'm a Carrara user and not a D/S user. I've seen several posts in this thread where the artist has had extremely long render times using objects that are transmapped. What I'm wondering is, if D/S has the ability to exclude/include specific objects from the lights?

For instance, in Carrara I've been coincidentally playing around with portrait lighting (before I had come across this thread). My goal was to try and create a decent likeness of M. Monroe from a morph package I had forgotten that I DLed. Part of my goal was to try and use Carrara's dynamic hair. Dynamic hair is great, but if you want to use raytraced soft shadows it's a real time vampire. I learned a trick sometime ago that I could set up duplicated lights, with the exact same position, intensity, color value, etc. and set one up with raytraced shadows and the other without. The one with the raytraced shadows lit everything except the hair, and the one without the raytraced shadows lit only the hair. My pictures took about 2.5 hours to render at 1536x2048 on a Power Mac G5 1.8Ghz Single Core computer. Raytraced soft shadows and Global Illumination would have increased the render time to tens of hours.

Which leads me to another suggestion: Try and fake Global Illumination where you can. Use low intensity spot lights with high fall-off zones to simulate reflected light. You'll be amazed at the speed bumps.

The image I'm posting has no postwork such as levels. The only thing I did was composite a background and reduce the size for the forum. This is just a standard render with no Global Illumination (indirect light).

Image Attachments
Picture_3.png
Picture_2.png
Picture_1.png
Picture-4.jpg
MMonroe-no_caust-no-post.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 27 June 2012 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 314 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
Here's the postworked version:

Image Attachments
MMonroe-test02.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 27 June 2012 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 315 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2012-05-11
Unfortunately, at least that I'm aware of, (I am new at this), you can't select objects to be hit by lights in DS. (You can make objects not cast shadows, and be invisible, but not block specific lights from hitting them.) Also, I think to have light fall-off you need to buy the UberSpotlights, from what I've been able to gather.

I recently watched a video about lighting from Dream-lounge that demonstrated both those features in Lightwave, so I can definitely see how useful both features would be, so if they are in DS4 I'd love to find them. smile (And UberSpotlights are definitely in my wishlist.)
 Signature 

B.J. Baye
Check out my Deviantart Profile.
My Amazon Author Page

21 of 23