Digital Art Zone

3 of 23
WIP Thread for June New Users Contest.
Posted: 05 June 2012 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2011-07-04
BWSman - 05 June 2012 11:57 AM
Layden - 04 June 2012 09:18 PM
This will be my entry for the June contest.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

~Layden
The skin looks awfully yellow IMO.

I agree, after looking at it with fresh eyes and a nights sleep.
I changed the lighting altogether and tried the omnifreaker skin shader (something I read about in a previous post..but never actually knew about) ..

After rendering, I took the image into my Corel Paintshop pro x4 to adjust a few minor highlights.

Below is the new render.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. smile

~Layden
Image Attachments
Belle5.jpg
 Signature 

“Id rather live forever or die trying,”

Posted: 05 June 2012 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22
Okay folks this is for all users New and Old who have never seen or used it.

The Basic Three Point Light Set.

All the lights most of the time are Spotlights. The Main light called the KEYLIGHT is normalily set to the left and above the default CAMERA position. The next light the SECONDARY LIGHT is set lower and to the left of the default Camera position. The last one the BACKLIGHT is set behind the character to be rendered.

The Differences in the lights are the settings. A good starting point is to start with these settings which is done by selecting the light in the Scene Tab and then changing the Settings in the Paramaters tab.
KEYLIGHT: Shadow Type - Deep Shadow Map
Light - Intensity 60%
SECONDARY LIGHT: Shadow Type - Deep Shadow Map
Light - Intensity 40%
BACKLIGHT: Shadow Type - Deep Shadow Map
Light - Intensity 200%

Those are just starting values. I normaly play with the color, Intensity, and set them all To Ray traced Shadows for final Renders. Fill free to move the lights to get the shadow effects you like. I will also add some Ambent light most of the time, very low setting for it. I will light the Background with its own lighting as needed as well. This is just the Basic set up. You can get great results expermenting with this simple set.
Image Attachments
!Basiclights-00.jpg
!Basiclights-01.jpg
!Basiclights-02.jpg
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 05 June 2012 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1881
Joined  2012-03-24
Thanks much BWswan, I had tryed said basic portlait light. you and jeder said,

I hope to express, "at night, small town, small house, she had read books ,
her boyfriend called ,then she turn up face smail,
so I need more soft light, now I try again,

The light from the upper left should be dimmer

which side is better for main spot light.. now I set main light is her right upper side,
and left side is sub. now I decrease the intence of two light, and set one more point light for backlight,,

uhhh,, I am sleepy now,, I try again,,
I do not know how many image can I show and call advices,, not bother other member?
I hope it not go worse.

wooo,, jederlail ,thank you, much,,, I will try tomorrow evening,,

[ Edited: 05 June 2012 12:47 PM by kitakoredaz ]
Image Attachments
newcon.jpg

Posted: 05 June 2012 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16423
Joined  2003-10-09
Layden - 05 June 2012 12:41 PM
BWSman - 05 June 2012 11:57 AM
Layden - 04 June 2012 09:18 PM
This will be my entry for the June contest.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

~Layden
The skin looks awfully yellow IMO.

I agree, after looking at it with fresh eyes and a nights sleep.
I changed the lighting altogether and tried the omnifreaker skin shader (something I read about in a previous post..but never actually knew about) ..

After rendering, I took the image into my Corel Paintshop pro x4 to adjust a few minor highlights.

Below is the new render.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. smile

~Layden

your image

THe lighting and skin colour is very much better, but to me she now looks as though she is not quite real, her skin is a bit shniy, looks slightly metallic imo.
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        October Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 05 June 2012 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
I hope that helps some of you. After you have the lights setup you play with your Camera and Framing of the image.
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.

Posted: 05 June 2012 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1881
Joined  2012-03-24
good night teachers and fellows downer zzz

Posted: 05 June 2012 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  662
Joined  2010-02-25
Thanks Jaderail thank you for this pictures as an example, now I know how to set up those lights.
I will experiment with it
Thank you so much grin
 Signature 

My renders on deviantART http://rendersas.deviantart.com/

Posted: 05 June 2012 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
Sasje - 05 June 2012 01:04 PM
Thanks Jaderail thank you for this pictures as an example, now I know how to set up those lights.
I will experiment with it
Thank you so much grin

Your so welcome and any others that play with them.
 Signature 

Posted: 05 June 2012 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2012-03-16
Here is my second version of the portrait. I didn't like the way it looked when I added the background in Gimp so I added the background in DS4 and renders it and now the hair lights are easier to see in this version.
Image Attachments
Keisha_with_Background.png
 Signature 

Dalbelo

Posted: 05 June 2012 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2011-07-04
"The skin looks awfully yellow IMO."

"THe lighting and skin colour is very much better, but to me she now looks as though she is not quite real, her skin is a bit shniy, looks slightly metallic imo."
.......................................................................................................................................................................

Absolutely right about the skin tone. I found that it was a third party skin texture for Genesis that was the problem. Although the skin texture looked good on the website and non rendered, it seemed too shiny when rendered.

I changed the skin texture, kept the lighting the same and this is what I got..

~Layden
[ Edited: 05 June 2012 01:20 PM by Layden ]
Image Attachments
belle6.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 05 June 2012 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2012-03-16
BWSman - 05 June 2012 11:55 AM
dalbelo - 04 June 2012 07:12 PM
Here is my first attempt at a portrait. I look forward to some feedback on how to make it better.

Other than the strap of the dress not lying flat on the neck/collars; this looks petty good.

I appreciate the feedback. I don't know how to move the strap so I will probably just look for a different top to use in this render.
 Signature 

Dalbelo

Posted: 05 June 2012 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2011-07-04
I just want to express my thanks and appreciation for helping me to become better at rendering.

I've learned so much in such a short time. Although I do this mainly for enjoyment, you've all taught me so much.

I just wanted to say Thank You.

~Layden
 Signature 

Posted: 05 June 2012 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16423
Joined  2003-10-09
Layden - 05 June 2012 01:18 PM

"THe lighting and skin colour is very much better, but to me she now looks as though she is not quite real, her skin is a bit shniy, looks slightly metallic imo."
.......................................................................................................................................................................

Absolutely right about the skin tone. I found that it was a third party skin texture for Genesis that was the problem. Although the skin texture looked good on the website and non rendered, it seemed too shiny when rendered.

~Layden

Oh now that is a whole lot better, really well done.
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        October Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 05 June 2012 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7820
Joined  2006-03-19
Layden - 05 June 2012 01:18 PM

~Layden

Excellent job. Coming along nicely.
 Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Forgotten Temple Ruins*****  

Posted: 05 June 2012 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7820
Joined  2006-03-19
Jaderail - 05 June 2012 12:42 PM
Okay folks this is for all users New and Old who have never seen or used it.

The Basic Three Point Light Set.

All the lights most of the time are Spotlights. The Main light called the KEYLIGHT is normalily set to the left and above the default CAMERA position. The next light the SECONDARY LIGHT is set lower and to the left of the default Camera position. The last one the BACKLIGHT is set behind the character to be rendered.

The Differences in the lights are the settings. A good starting point is to start with these settings which is done by selecting the light in the Scene Tab and then changing the Settings in the Paramaters tab.
KEYLIGHT: Shadow Type - Deep Shadow Map
Light - Intensity 60%
SECONDARY LIGHT: Shadow Type - Deep Shadow Map
Light - Intensity 40%
BACKLIGHT: Shadow Type - Deep Shadow Map
Light - Intensity 200%

Those are just starting values. I normaly play with the color, Intensity, and set them all To Ray traced Shadows for final Renders. Fill free to move the lights to get the shadow effects you like. I will also add some Ambent light most of the time, very low setting for it. I will light the Background with its own lighting as needed as well. This is just the Basic set up. You can get great results expermenting with this simple set.

Thank you Jaderail for posting this. It should help out a lot.
 Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Forgotten Temple Ruins*****  

3 of 23