Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Genesis Texure Mapping Issues are back
Posted: 22 November 2012 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10751
Joined  2007-11-06

...OK, since I began directly working with Genesis, GenerationX, and the Gen3/Gen4 body shapes I’ve been pretty content.  Until this morning.

Did an experiment fitting an A3 clothing set to my GenX Steph4/Leela   Fits went perfectly but since it was late I closed down and planned to render in the morning and post the results.  When I opened the file today the character loaded with the skin map all screwed up.  The character uses JW’s Tindra Thompson skin map which is the closest in complexion to that of the actual character. Until this morning it has loaded just fine every time I loaded the character or a scene with her.

So I am wondering, what is causing this to occur now?

I closed the scene and application & restarted and reloaded the scene, but the issue still persists.

I tried to reload the UV Map but when I click on Load UV Set it leaves me in the C:/Programme Flies/Daz3D/Studio4 folder and I have no idea where to go from there to find the UV map.

I am wondering if the “Duplicate ID” error that pops up when I load the scene might have something to do with this.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 22 November 2012 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13639
Joined  2003-10-09

It’s possible that there’s a duplication in IDs that’s leading to confusion over surface or texture IDS (either applying the settings from the wrong surface, or applying the right settings but with the wrong map). Does the skirt still have the right material zones, compared to a freshly loaded copy? Was all the work done in 4.5 - nothing that had passed through 4.0? 4.5 shouldn’t generate duplicate IDs. If you would, check to see if the sceen is still bad in the new beta and if it is make a bug report, attaching your scene file and making a note of what items it contains (especially the non-DAZ stuff).

The load UVs command wants an OBJ with the desired UV set applied to it - in this case the original OBJ for the skirt, probably. Though if it’s a case of the wrong texture then that wont help - you can use the UV view to compare the modified skirt with the original as a check on that.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 22 November 2012 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...actually, the clothing maps all load just fine.  Same with the hair.  Only the character’s skin map seems to be affected.

This was all done in 4.5 using Genesis, the GenerationX plugin and “legacy” body shapes.

I just find it odd that the other scenes I have done with her load fine even when the Duplicate ID error message pops up.

Also interesting that 4.5 shouldn’t be generating the Duplicate ID issue yet it does on my system.

Haven’t loaded the beta because it will overwrite the current version I have, and if I run into an other issues (particularly those that may be generated due to system requirement conflicts as I am running this on a fairly old machine), I would have to roll back to the current stable version which means uninstalling/reinstalling everything.

Signature 

Posted: 22 November 2012 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...just thought about this, would saving the Leela character as a UV map help?

Signature 

Posted: 22 November 2012 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

Unless it’s a remapped something, probably not…

Select the Genesis ‘root’ in the Surfaces pane and look at which UV is set…for that skin texture it should be V4.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 22 November 2012 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

..strange, in “presets” it shows 3DU’s Jasmin which makes no sense s she is not in the character mix at all.

Signature 

Posted: 22 November 2012 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
Kyoto Kid - 22 November 2012 05:58 PM

..strange, in “presets” all I see is 3DU’s Jasmin which makes no sense s she is not in the character mix at all.

When I click on “Genesis” at the top, nothing happens.

Signature 

Posted: 22 November 2012 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1159
Joined  2009-01-09
Kyoto Kid - 22 November 2012 06:02 PM
Kyoto Kid - 22 November 2012 05:58 PM

..strange, in “presets” all I see is 3DU’s Jasmin which makes no sense s she is not in the character mix at all.

When I click on “Genesis” at the top, nothing happens.

When you say nothing happens, do you mean that the surfaces tab doesn’t show you the different surfaces for that character?

I think you’re running into a fairly common issue, UV switching for no apparent reason whatsoever. As far as I can tell, it’s nothing to do with anything you’re doing; it’s just something about Studio, and it’s far more frequent with 4.0 than with 4.5. However, I’m not quite sure which steps you’re following, so try the following, just to make sure we’re all on the same page, and I apologize if this is a bit too basic, but it will make sure we all know what’s happening.

1) In the Scene tab, click on “Genesis”, to make sure the whole character is selected.

2) Go to the Surfaces tab. Again, click on “Genesis” to make sure all of the character’s surfaces are selected. All of the different surfaces and texture properties should then appear in the surfaces tab, with names like “Diffuse color”, “Diffuse strength”, “Specular color”, and so forth.

3) Scroll either to the bottom or the top of that section—whether it’s the top or the bottom depends on the shaders the character may be using, and I don’t know that texture. Most likely, it will be near the bottom.

4) Under the heading “UV set”, it will tell you what UVs that character is using. Almost certainly, it’s using the wrong ones. Whatever it says—or if it says nothing at all, which is also possible—click on the little arrow next to the UV Set name. A list of all of the UVs installed in Studio will appear.

5) In that list, click on “Victoria 4”. That should restore your character to its correct appearance. If it doesn’t, let us know what sorts of results you get or about any error messages that may appear.

Hope this is helpful.

Signature 

VWrangler at deviantArt (NSFW for some images; login required to view those)

Posted: 23 November 2012 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...I have done the first two steps but the “Genesis” selection at the top of the Surfaces tab is for some reason not active.  I can click on it and nothing happens.  There is a Downward pointing arrow which only shows elections for “Presets” and “Unassigned”  as I mentioned, clicking on the “Presets” selection brings up the Jasmin character for some reason.

I still don’t know why I keep getting the Duplicate ID message if, according to Richard, this was fixed in 4.5.  This happens with every scene that I have created in the current version.

The screenshots below should help explain a bit more.  The first shows that Genesis is selected. the second is what I see in the Surfacing tab.

Image Attachments
mapping_issue_1.jpgmapping_issue_2.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 24 November 2012 12:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-09
Kyoto Kid - 23 November 2012 01:42 PM

...I have done the first two steps but the “Genesis” selection at the top of the Surfaces tab is for some reason not active.  I can click on it and nothing happens.  There is a Downward pointing arrow which only shows elections for “Presets” and “Unassigned”  as I mentioned, clicking on the “Presets” selection brings up the Jasmin character for some reason.

I still don’t know why I keep getting the Duplicate ID message if, according to Richard, this was fixed in 4.5.  This happens with every scene that I have created in the current version.

Something in the scene, possibly apart from Genesis itself, has the duplicate IDs issue. Simply updating to 4.5 won’t necessarily get rid of duplicate IDs for things like clothing or other items besides Genesis. Those items will have to be updated or repaired separately; there’s a script for that in Richard’s sigfile.

Also, if you have used GenX under Studio 4.0, sometimes it created duplicate IDs for the morphs it generated. If that’s the case, you’ll get the duplicate IDs message every time you load a new Genesis figure. Those will need to be deleted and re-converted. You can see which items are causing the issue in the troubleshooting log, accessible through the Help menu.

The screenshots below should help explain a bit more.  The first shows that Genesis is selected. the second is what I see in the Surfacing tab.

Well ... the screen shots help explain some of the confusion. You need to be in the Editor section of the Surfaces tab, not the Presets section. (I didn’t even realize there was a Presets section until now.) The button for that is next to the Presets button in your screen shot. When you click on that, you should see something vaguely like what I’ve attached in the screen shot below. (And I do mean “vaguely”; your interface is configured very differently than mine.) Depending on the character’s texture, either at the top or the bottom, you’ll see the UV Set option, like the one the arrow is pointing to.  Whatever it says, reset it to Victoria 4, and all should be back to normal. (Even if it says Victoria 4 already, go ahead and toggle it to something else, then back to Victoria 4 again. Can’t hurt, since it doesn’t seem to be working.)

That said ... I think someone with more experience of the different DS modes will need to take it from here.  Based on that first screen shot, I think you may be in a mode that won’t allow you to select surfaces—UV Mapping, maybe? I have no idea; I’ve never seen that wireframe-like look in DS4, so I’m not certain.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful.

Image Attachments
surfacesTabEditor-1.png
 Signature 

Posted: 24 November 2012 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...I just included the first one to show that I had Genesis selected. before switching to the Surfaces pane. I switch to wireframe view before rendering (to a file rather than the viewport) to save memory load as I am on an older system with limited resources.

...I’ll take a look in the Surfaces pane again.  Didn’t realise I needed to be in the “Edit” tab.

I only worked with Gen 4 characters in 4.0 and didn’t start using GenX until after I updated to 4.5 so there should be no “leftovers” from 4.0x. 

As to the script, it needs to be run on every item used in each scene individually (as well as all my Genesis characters)?  That sounds a little bit daunting and extremely time consuming.  To me that says there is a bug in the software that needs to be fixed as it is either not overwriting files completely during saves or closing them properly when the app is shut down thus creating the duplicate ID entry.

Signature 

Posted: 24 November 2012 02:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-09
Kyoto Kid - 24 November 2012 01:46 AM

...I just included the first one to show that I had Genesis selected. before switching to the Surfaces pane. I switch to wireframe view before rendering (to a file rather than the viewport) to save memory load as I am on an older system with limited resources.

...I’ll take a look in the Surfaces pane again.  Didn’t realise I needed to be in the “Edit” tab.

I only worked with Gen 4 characters in 4.0 and didn’t start using GenX until after I updated to 4.5 so there should be no “leftovers” from 4.0x. 

As to the script, it needs to be run on every item used in each scene individually (as well as all my Genesis characters)?  That sounds a little bit daunting and extremely time consuming.  To me that says there is a bug in the software that needs to be fixed as it is either not overwriting files completely during saves or closing them properly when the app is shut down thus creating the duplicate ID entry.

The script only needs to be run on those items causing the issue, which isn’t necessarily everything in the scene. And it shouldn’t necessarily need to be run on your Genesis characters. (Although, if the presets are DSF rather than DUF, it’s not a terrible idea to run the script before you use them.)

Studio can’t overwrite the source files—the original presets and morphs—during a save.  That would be truly very bad computer procedure; it would essentially mean that presets would be unusable more than once in an unaltered state. As long as the original files remain unaltered by Studio during that process, as they should, you’ll have the duplicate IDs issue. Beyond that, Richard or someone else DAZ-related can speak to the issue of duplicate IDs with far more authority than I can.

Signature 

Posted: 24 November 2012 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...it’s just that i never experienced this with older versions of the programme.  I guess what it really is missing on is remembering all the instructions which put everything together when a saved scene file is reopened.  So it sounds more like a possible issue with the “file save” process than the “open file” one.

Signature 

Posted: 24 November 2012 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13

Part of the problem is that DS is now being a lot more strict in the way it handles things.  It’s actually sticking closer to the ‘standards’ than in the past, so some things that may have worked, but weren’t correct, will no longer work.

Yeah, it kind of sucks when someone wakes up one day and discovers that the developers decided that the file standards were actually something they should have been enforcing all along…and changed it mid stream to actually enforce them.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 24 November 2012 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...so does this mean I need to reinstall a lot of content to rid myself of these warnings?

Signature 

Posted: 24 November 2012 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13

If there are updated versions of it…probably more than a good idea. 

At the very least the script should be run on an as need basis.  Right now, for the most part it’s an annoyance to have the warnings, but it could become (and in your case may already be) a real problem.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

1 of 2