Digital Art Zone

Can I use Bryce/Carra content in Studio?
Posted: 21 November 2012 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-12-07

I’m a DS-only user (not even Poser!) but at times I’ve seen some nice looking products in the DAZ store for Bryce or Carrara. I’ve never purchased these because I don’t know if it works in Studio. Can anyone advise?

Signature 

PoseMaster for DAZ Studio and PoseMaster People Pack now sold at Rendo.

Posted: 21 November 2012 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4692
Joined  2004-07-01
cridgit - 21 November 2012 06:38 PM

I’m a DS-only user (not even Poser!) but at times I’ve seen some nice looking products in the DAZ store for Bryce or Carrara. I’ve never purchased these because I don’t know if it works in Studio. Can anyone advise?

if you don’t Bryce or Carrara I wouldn’t buy any thing for them .
I use both - but I sent from DS to them .

Posted: 21 November 2012 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07

No. They are a different file format so Bryce and carrara content wont work in studio.

Posted: 21 November 2012 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7438
Joined  2009-07-13

studio stuff mostly and pretty much all Poser stuff works in Carrara.
some of the later Poser characters with weightpainting may need conversion using a free program by Fenric but those don’t work in studio anyway.
materials may need highlight removed.
and Carrara is way cool, renders quicker, has many more features. but going out of Carrara is not supported much with some exceptions or workarounds.

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 22 November 2012 05:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-12-07

And Cararra is still in beta right? wink

Thanks for the feedback. Guess I won’t be spending anything on Bryce or Carrara content then.

Signature 

Posted: 22 November 2012 07:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07

Carrara 8.5 is still in beta. Don’t know why, hasn’t been an update to the beta in 6-7 months. But hey, when you are tired of working with that tinker toy app, come on over to carrara wink

Posted: 22 November 2012 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-12-07

Poser? wink

Signature 

Posted: 22 November 2012 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15583
Joined  2003-10-09

Depending what the Products are that you are interested in, some may be able to be used (indirectly) in Poser.

Materials will not, obviously, in the same way that DS shaders cannoot ne used in Poser, and vice versa.

However props are sometimes packed with OBJs as well, and even if the are in fact OBPs, you can always open them in Bryce and export them to use as OBJ in Poser.

I must admit I do this in reverse though, I export OBJs from Poser and render in Bryce. (That shouldn’t surprise you too much, I don’t excatly hide my software preference cool smirk)

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 22 November 2012 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

Thank you chohole, was about to say the same thing basically. Most software will allow one to export their proprietary formats objects to obj generic type objects. Whenever exporting to a more generic format much is going to be lost, mostly in the form of textures, sometimes in detail etc… depending on the structure of the item in the proprietary format and how much translates to the obj format. So, can x be used in y… usually, but one’s mileage may vary on how much translates and whether it is enough for a given persons situation or need. This can mean an object translates pretty well, or that it translates grey with no textures and even that is distorted. Even different objects from the same source/person can vary in how they transfer. So, be cautious on how much you spend on an object you want to transfer, and realize it isn’t going to look like it does in it’s native software without some amount of work.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 22 November 2012 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7438
Joined  2009-07-13

some things are just software specific too
Carrara replicators and fur for example, or Poser hair
others like dynamic cloth only work in a software suite that does it.
Howie Farkes scenes in Carrara for example use replicators, you could create real instances but it would bog it down very fast and the export file would be massive.

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 22 November 2012 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

Yes, important point… ty for filling that in wendy smile

Along the same lines, even when two different pieces of software do support advanced things like instances, this information isn’t transferred between the two different products using a common format.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.