2 of 2
Weight map symmetry
Posted: 23 November 2012 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1881
Joined  2012-03-24

Hi!””  ReDave,, how your work going?!@@;

actually,, I thoguht to reply and tell something which I know about weight map,,
when check your challenge with much interesting^^;

but if I said wrong things,,,,so,, I hesitated.

then,, good timing,, req reported about wight map symmetly,,and I could not grap it well,, so ,, reply here,,
I hope,,  if you check this topic too,,,,  it can some help for you .

then,, your handmade brid,,  is,, actually really really,, so,, cute ^^; 

if I did not check your topic,, maybe I never planned weight map about teddy or animal,,
I usually,,just reform and weight map clothings to fit,, for genesis character ,,, ^^;

first,, I planned to try with handamde toy or animal,,
but I can not make good figure by myself still.  so just remake prop for V4 wear @@;
it is not originlal,, but I am happy,, before I could not rig prop to figure,, ,,  thanks ReDave.

Posted: 23 November 2012 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  820
Joined  2007-01-08

I’m not a very good modeler, actually. The duck comes from ShareCG. wink
Rigging has always interested me, but I tried it only once before (Poser legacy format). I must say the new rigging is great!
I used to make monster renders but one day I started using the duck to test DAZ Studio’s features, and now I use it without thinking.
I’m very glad it inspired you!!!

I also just found out that the Ctrl/Alt weight brush modifiers have a dedicated space for customisation in the Customize window (F3). It’s located at the bottom of the window (click Weight Map Brush instead of the default View Controls) and Alt is supposed to be “Constrain gradient” (?!). No idea what the other selectable options do (apart from Substractive Painting, which is easy to figure out), but I’m going to try if I can think of a suitable thing to rig.

Posted: 23 November 2012 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  480
Joined  2010-06-18

Hi…

ReDave - 23 November 2012 09:34 AM

Apparently Ctrl turns the brush into a Blur kind of brush (just like a Blur brush in 2D editing), while Alt removes weight, so it works like an eraser to continue with the 2D analogy.

Thanks ReDave… grin

I knew Ctrl was doing something, I just couldn’t tell what that something was… lol…

nicci… smile

Posted: 24 November 2012 03:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2012-09-22

I like your teddybear, kit! smile

Regarding deleting weights. On the mac (again smile) I have to press the modifier key to add weights first, then press the modifier to reduce weights as well to delete weights. Have you tried this?

I don’t quite remember which keys I use for this. I press a bunch of them at the same time. smile I have to press different keys than on a windows pc since the modifier keys on the mac are often used for other system funcitons.

As a side note. I thought at first the sensitivity slider for the weight brushes was broken. Turns out that on the mac version of DS, the funcitons attached to the brush icons are switched around, but the settings are not. Thus, I have to press the smooth brush icon to get the regular weight brush, but to change settings for it, I have to press the regular brush icon and change settings. smile

Posted: 24 November 2012 04:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-09-22

Oh, btw. I made a bug report for the symmetry issue I started the thread with. I attached a scene file with a model for which symmetry does not work for me. Perhaps some of you could have a look and see if you can get symmetry to work, or to see if maybe I have done something wrong with the model?
(And be kind regarding the model. I’m not the best modeller, and it’s a work in progress smile)

Posted: 24 November 2012 06:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-06-18

Hi rek…

I took a look at your bug report and I would be more than happy to take a look at the model and rigging that you are having issues with…

but there is just one little problem… you only uploaded the .duf scene file, you didn’t include the .dsf geometry file… wink

you can find it in your My Library folder here > /data/auto_adapted/testTorso_2130/geometry_9b51329f_daf5_9b8e_e79b_b3d3e666cb92/testTorso.dsf

The Devs will probably need it in order to check for the problem…

nicci… smile

Posted: 24 November 2012 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-09-22

Ah, right! That’s not confusing at all, is it?!?! raspberry I wasn’t aware things are organized in this way in DS. How bizarre. DSF file is now uploaded. Let me know if I need to upload anything else. smile

Thank you nicci.

Posted: 24 November 2012 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  703
Joined  2010-03-13
rek - 24 November 2012 03:57 AM

I like your teddybear, kit! smile

Regarding deleting weights. On the mac (again smile) I have to press the modifier key to add weights first, then press the modifier to reduce weights as well to delete weights. Have you tried this?

I don’t quite remember which keys I use for this. I press a bunch of them at the same time. smile I have to press different keys than on a windows pc since the modifier keys on the mac are often used for other system funcitons.

As a side note. I thought at first the sensitivity slider for the weight brushes was broken. Turns out that on the mac version of DS, the funcitons attached to the brush icons are switched around, but the settings are not. Thus, I have to press the smooth brush icon to get the regular weight brush, but to change settings for it, I have to press the regular brush icon and change settings. smile

You can modify the keys used for the different brush types via “Customize” menu and then selecting the “Weight Map Brush” tab below. One problem on Mac though, DAZ Studio does not seem to accept all keys there, e.g. it won’t accept “fn” modifier for mine. “cmd” works fine however, but I still removed some “View Controls” movement/rotation key shortcuts to make room.

Image Attachments
Customise.jpg

Posted: 24 November 2012 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-09-22

Thanks for the tip, Renpatsu! I tend to stay with the default shortcut keys in programs, and usually manage ok, but maybe I should have a look at that.

Also, since you use a Mac, have you had issues with “Weight map symmetry…”? As in it only working sometimes?

Posted: 24 November 2012 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-06-18

Hi rek…

So I have just started looking at your figure and…. hmmm… symmetry is not working the way it should on it….????  rolleyes

I’m going to do some more work on it a little later, trying a few things raspberry

I will let you know how it goes…

nicci… smile

2 of 2